Author Topic: Just another Valkyrie WIP  (Read 26605 times)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Re: Just another Valkyrie WIP
I actually really like this Valkyrie so far. I think a certain amount of blokiness is necessary here, like the Orion, or the Apollo.

Agreed. It shouldn't look smooth, but I think it shouldn't look low-poly either. But the wings and the engine outlets still do.

Looks like the Valkyrie is a very popular fighter :)
As for the wings, you can`t  make it more smooth without major design changes. It`s like making for example F/A-18 wings more smooth. It just don`t look good after all.
no.one

Offline peterv

Will somebody please release a hi-poly Valkyrie at last? They're all much more than appropriate already.

Not exactly...
I guess, that ultimately we`ll choose the VA`s one, and he`s done 1/3 of texturing (if I`m not wrong).
And from my experience I can say, that in this kind of model texturing is the longest step.
And even if you`d like choose this model, it still needs a lot of work on textures, so you`ll have to wait anyway.
no.one

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
The wings don't need to be smoothed, I just can't stand that 120 degree angle kink running down the entire length of the fighter that nobody's bothered to smooth out.

btw, this needs to go to the FSPort MVP forum.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
What 120° kink?
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Snail

• SC 5
btw, this needs to go to the FSPort MVP forum.
It is done.

Offline Water

This should get interesting quite fast.

Galemp - Ignore the rough edges, is this what you had in mind?

Offline Topgun

I like the top one better imo.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
ahhh, the back looks so much better... thank you.

now just do that to the front all the way up, and to the engine nacelles, and we'll be in business! :D I do like VA's polygonal nosecone though, and the cowling over the missile pods. That could actually remain polygonal over the curved hull.

Try rendering it with smoothgroups turned off, since you haven't cleaned them up completely yet.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I like the top one better imo.
Yes I do too. The rounded one makes it look as if it's trying to be a Perseus but failing. Badly.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
ahhh, the back looks so much better... thank you.

now just do that to the front all the way up, and to the engine nacelles, and we'll be in business! :D I do like VA's polygonal nosecone though, and the cowling over the missile pods. That could actually remain polygonal over the curved hull.

Try rendering it with smoothgroups turned off, since you haven't cleaned them up completely yet.
So you actually wanted the polar opposite of the way Water smoothed it. Faceted cockpit and neck, curved body and engines. ;)
I gotta say though I really dislike a curvey Valkyrie - those angles are a part of it's early fighter charm! :p
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I gotta say though I really dislike a curvey Valkyrie - those angles are a part of it's early fighter charm! :p
The collective intelligence of all the Snails in the universe agree.

Offline Solatar

If I want super dooper smooth, I'll fly a Perseus. Valkyrie's should be blockyish.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
The only part of the valk I think should be rounded is the engine nacelles... the rest looks fine

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Please keep it blocky.

Offline Solatar

I'm not sure who's going to actually release theirs first, but if VA doesn't, Water you might have a look at his cockpit.

http://sectorgame.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/Pics/Uglies/Cherokee1.jpg (just the cockpit)

And the HTL Angel: http://inferno.hard-light.net/AngelScout.jpg

His is a lot blockier than yours, but it still looks hi-poly. Smoothing isn't everything, look at the Hercules or Loki.

Blocky is what makes Terran ships Terran. ;)

:yes2: at that. In FS1 anyway.