Author Topic: Problems compiling wxlauncher  (Read 9669 times)

Re: Problems compiling wxlauncher
As for finding out whether your wxWidgets packages were compiled with Unicode support, could you post the output of
Code: [Select]
ls /usr/lib/ | grep wx
and
ls /usr/local/lib/ | grep wx

Dude, thank you soo much. I found the problem. Apparently, I had a copy of wx-2.9 hiding out in /usr/local. Since I couldn't find the sources, and since Debian doesn't put anything in /usr/local, the only conclusion I can come to is that the files were restored from a backup after I rebuilt my machine the first of the year and were just hanging out there.

In any case, I deleted the ones in /usr/local, ran ldconfig and had a go at building the wxlauncher. It worked.

So thanks to all of those that took the time to give advice and help me through my problems.

Now, at what point should I upgrade to 1.0.2? :)

--vr

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
So thanks to all of those that took the time to give advice and help me through my problems.
Thank you for letting us know what the problem finally was.

--vr
As soon as possible.  It has many fixes to the engine and the data that make playing Diaspora that much better.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Thank you for letting us know what the problem finally was.

I make a habit of trying to do that, on the hopes that it helps others who may encounter similar problems.

--vr
As soon as possible.  It has many fixes to the engine and the data that make playing Diaspora that much better.

Guess I'll patch once I get home. Then on to stage 2: Getting the joystick to work. :)

--vr

Hi, I hope it's ok to necro this again, as I am having similar issues.  I'm not sure what has changed since this though as it is a few years ago.  I'll post what I have done from here and what happens when I try and compile.  if anyone can help me please I would really appreciate it.

First, I use Archlinux 64bit and it is up to date.  I have the GoG file for Freespace 2 and have successfully installed everything using the most current Freespace Open Installer.  I have then followed the instructions for compiling the wxlauncher, which is where I ran into issues.  I initially used the 0.94 version which came with the installer but that failed.  I tried the 0.95 version from https://code.google.com/p/wxlauncher/issues/detail?id=110 but that failed as well, then I tried grabbing the most recent master source from https://github.com/wxLauncher/wxlauncher but with the same result as the previous attempts.

I have all of the dependencies listed installed and I initially run it as
cmake -DUSE_OPENAL=1 -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local ../  -DPYTHON_EXECUTABLE=/usr/bin/python2, which seems to work fine.  However, it is when I try and "make" that the error occurs.  I will list my commands and the result below.

cmake -DUSE_OPENAL=1 -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local ../ -DPYTHON_EXECUTABLE=/usr/bin/python2
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 4.9.2
-- The C compiler identification is GNU 4.9.2
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting CXX compile features
-- Detecting CXX compile features - done
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting C compile features
-- Detecting C compile features - done
-- Found wxWidgets: TRUE (Required is at least version "2.8.10")
-- Found OpenAL: /usr/lib64/libopenal.so 
-- Looking for include file pthread.h
-- Looking for include file pthread.h - found
-- Looking for pthread_create
-- Looking for pthread_create - not found
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthreads
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthreads - not found
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthread
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthread - found
-- Found Threads: TRUE 
-- Found SDL: /usr/lib64/libSDLmain.a;/usr/lib64/libSDL.so;-lpthread (found version "1.2.15")
-- rpmbuild does not exist, will not build RPM
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/cmake

Then I run make and get this error.

Scanning dependencies of target helpmaker
 NOTICE:Building...
 NOTICE: Processing input files:
 NOTICE:  /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/onlinehelp/index.help
 NOTICE:  /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/onlinehelp/jfaq.help
 NOTICE:  /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/onlinehelp/kauthors.help
 NOTICE:  /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/onlinehelp/lchanges.help
 NOTICE:  /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/onlinehelp/10Introduction/02Profiles.help
 NOTICE:  /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/onlinehelp/10Introduction/index.help
 NOTICE:  /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/onlinehelp/30Reference/index.help
 NOTICE:  /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/onlinehelp/30Reference/10Welcome/02profiles.help
 NOTICE:  /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/onlinehelp/30Reference/10Welcome/03news.help
 NOTICE:  /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/onlinehelp/30Reference/10Welcome/index.help
 NOTICE:  /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/onlinehelp/30Reference/20MODs/01modlist.help
 NOTICE:  /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/onlinehelp/30Reference/20MODs/index.help
 NOTICE:  /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/onlinehelp/30Reference/30BasicSettings/01executable.help
 NOTICE:  /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/onlinehelp/30Reference/30BasicSettings/02video.help
 NOTICE:  /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/onlinehelp/30Reference/30BasicSettings/03audio.help
 NOTICE:  /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/onlinehelp/30Reference/30BasicSettings/04speech.help
 NOTICE:  /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/onlinehelp/30Reference/30BasicSettings/05joystick.help
 NOTICE:  /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/onlinehelp/30Reference/30BasicSettings/06network.help
 NOTICE:  /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/onlinehelp/30Reference/30BasicSettings/index.help
 NOTICE:  /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/onlinehelp/30Reference/40AdvancedSettings/01flaglist.help
 NOTICE:  /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/onlinehelp/30Reference/40AdvancedSettings/021lighting.help
 NOTICE:  /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/onlinehelp/30Reference/40AdvancedSettings/05flagsets.help
 NOTICE:  /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/onlinehelp/30Reference/40AdvancedSettings/10customflags.help
 NOTICE:  /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/onlinehelp/30Reference/40AdvancedSettings/15commandline.help
 NOTICE:  /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/onlinehelp/30Reference/40AdvancedSettings/index.help
 NOTICE:  /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/onlinehelp/50TechnicalStuff/02Terminology.help
 NOTICE:  /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/onlinehelp/50TechnicalStuff/03privacy.help
 NOTICE:  /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/onlinehelp/50TechnicalStuff/index.help
 NOTICE:Writing to /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/cmake/generated/helplinks.cpp
 NOTICE:....Done.
[  0%] Built target helpmaker
Scanning dependencies of target version.cpp.maker
Checking if build is needed...
 /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/cmake/version.cpp.maker.temp does not exist
Generating...
 Writing to tempfile /home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/cmake/version.cpp.maker.temp.
  Directory already exists...
fatal: Not a git repository (or any parent up to mount point /home)
Stopping at filesystem boundary (GIT_DISCOVERY_ACROSS_FILESYSTEM not set).
fatal: Not a git repository (or any parent up to mount point /home)
Stopping at filesystem boundary (GIT_DISCOVERY_ACROSS_FILESYSTEM not set).
 Done.
[  0%] Built target version.cpp.maker
Scanning dependencies of target wxlauncher
[  2%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/wxlauncher.dir/code/tabs/AdvSettingsPage.cpp.o
[  4%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/wxlauncher.dir/code/tabs/BasicSettingsPage.cpp.o
[  6%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/wxlauncher.dir/code/tabs/InstallPage.cpp.o
[  9%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/wxlauncher.dir/code/tabs/ModsPage.cpp.o
[ 11%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/wxlauncher.dir/code/tabs/WelcomePage.cpp.o
[ 13%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/wxlauncher.dir/code/controls/BottomButtons.cpp.o
[ 16%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/wxlauncher.dir/code/controls/FlagListBox.cpp.o
[ 18%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/wxlauncher.dir/code/controls/LightingPresets.cpp.o
[ 20%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/wxlauncher.dir/code/controls/Logger.cpp.o
[ 23%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/wxlauncher.dir/code/controls/ModList.cpp.o
/home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/code/controls/ModList.cpp: In member function ‘void ModList::readIniFileString(const wxFileConfig*, const wxString&, wxString&)’:
/home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/code/controls/ModList.cpp:638:77: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘wchar_t*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
   location.IsEmpty() ? _T("Not Specified") : escapeSpecials(location).c_str());
                                                                             ^
/home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/code/controls/ModList.cpp: In constructor ‘ModInfoDialog::ModInfoDialog(ModItem*, wxWindow*)’:
/home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher-master/code/controls/ModList.cpp:1354:72: error: operands to ?: have different types ‘wxCStrData’ and ‘const wxString’
   wxString::Format(_T("<a href='%s'>%s</a>"), (!item->forum.IsEmpty()) ?
                                                                        ^
CMakeFiles/wxlauncher.dir/build.make:261: recipe for target 'CMakeFiles/wxlauncher.dir/code/controls/ModList.cpp.o' failed
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/wxlauncher.dir/code/controls/ModList.cpp.o] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:131: recipe for target 'CMakeFiles/wxlauncher.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/wxlauncher.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:137: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

I have both wxgtk 3.0.2-2 and wxgtk2.8.12.1-2 installed, as Play On Linux requires the 2.8 version.  From earlier in this thread I see that VulcanRidr solved the same issue, but I have worked through the different advice her to see if it works for me and it hasn't fixed it yet.  Can anyone help me please?  I need my Freespace 2 fix!  Let me know if you need any other information.  Thank you.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
jdthehutt, can you please try the develop branch?

git clone https://github.com/wxLauncher/wxlauncher.git wxlauncher -b develop
Can a moderator please move this post and the previous one, to the main wxLauncher thread: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=67950.0

Thanks,
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

jdthehutt, can you please try the develop branch?

git clone https://github.com/wxLauncher/wxlauncher.git wxlauncher -b develop
Can a moderator please move this post and the previous one, to the main wxLauncher thread: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=67950.0

Thanks,

Thank you for the quick response, wasn't expecting a reply that fast!  Unfortunately I have had exactly the same result as before.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Okay, I have found the issue and am now able to compile wxLauncher on my brand new Archlinux test box.  Seems no one has build wxLauncher with GCC and wxWidgets 3.0.  I will have to add that to the testing matrix.

please try:

git clone https://github.com/wxLauncher/wxlauncher.git wxlauncher -b revision-0.9.6
I also noticed that you may need to add -DUSE_SPEECH=0 to the cmake line if I haven't pushed the fix for that when you see this.

Thanks,

Okay, I have found the issue and am now able to compile wxLauncher on my brand new Archlinux test box.  Seems no one has build wxLauncher with GCC and wxWidgets 3.0.  I will have to add that to the testing matrix.

please try:

git clone https://github.com/wxLauncher/wxlauncher.git wxlauncher -b revision-0.9.6
I also noticed that you may need to add -DUSE_SPEECH=0 to the cmake line if I haven't pushed the fix for that when you see this.

Thanks,

Thank you, Iss, I really appreciate you looking into this.  I've hit a further snag now though.  I still get a warning message at the same point I had an error before, but it is not a fatal stop and it continues on.  I'll post below so you can see the new message.  I get a similar one a bit further one with another part, then I get a fatal error near the end of the compilation.

[ 23%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/wxlauncher.dir/code/controls/ModList.cpp.o                                                                                                                                     
/home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher/code/controls/ModList.cpp: In member function ‘void ModList::readIniFileString(const wxFileConfig*, const wxString&, wxString&)’:
/home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher/code/controls/ModList.cpp:638:77: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘wchar_t*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
   location.IsEmpty() ? _T("Not Specified") : escapeSpecials(location).c_str());
                                                                             ^

[ 51%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/wxlauncher.dir/code/datastructures/FSOExecutable.cpp.o
/home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher/code/datastructures/FSOExecutable.cpp: In member function ‘wxString FSOExecutable::GetVersionString() const’:
/home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher/code/datastructures/FSOExecutable.cpp:386:73: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘wchar_t*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
   (this->binaryname.IsEmpty()) ? _T("Unknown") : this->binaryname.c_str(), // FS2 Open
                                                                         ^

then the fatal error.

[ 72%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/wxlauncher.dir/code/apis/OpenALManager.cpp.o
/home/james/FreeSpace2/build/wxlauncher/code/apis/OpenALManager.cpp:28:19: fatal error: al/al.h: No such file or directory
 #include <al/al.h>
                   ^
compilation terminated.
CMakeFiles/wxlauncher.dir/build.make:744: recipe for target 'CMakeFiles/wxlauncher.dir/code/apis/OpenALManager.cpp.o' failed
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/wxlauncher.dir/code/apis/OpenALManager.cpp.o] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:131: recipe for target 'CMakeFiles/wxlauncher.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/wxlauncher.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:137: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

I have checked and the file is present in the directory it is looking in, so I am not sure why it is reporting that error.  I am running the cmake command as before and have tried it both with and without -DUSE_SPEECH=0 but with the same result.  You're using Arch as well though, so I'm not sure why mine is failing when yours is succeeding.  Thank you.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
You're using Arch as well though, so I'm not sure why mine is failing when yours is succeeding.  Thank you.
Well, using is perhaps a bit optimistic.  I can't even convince a GUI to start :|

I tried building what I had put into revision-0.9.6 and it broke for me as well.  Looks like I missed a change in what I pushed.  I have fixed it, and I can now successfully compile wxlauncher from the revision-0.9.6 branch.  Please try the git clone again.
The warnings should not cause issues, but let me know because my test vm has no GUI so I have not actually been able to run wxLaucnher.

Thanks,

Well, using is perhaps a bit optimistic.  I can't even convince a GUI to start :|

Haha, I have been using Arch for a few years now but I do remember a lot of trial and error getting myself used to installing everything as I wanted without breaking it.  There were quite a few occasions of wiping and starting again after I got a bit too cocky with the command line.  I love it now though, still consider myself very inexperienced but going back to other distros makes me feel a bit limited.

The warnings should not cause issues, but let me know because my test vm has no GUI so I have not actually been able to run wxLaucnher.

Thanks,

It has successfully compiled now, thank you so much for the assistance.  I get the warnings but they don't stop with a fatal error.

I can run the launcher and it pops up and displays itself though I am receiving pop-up errors when I launch it and when I select the root directory for Freespace 2.  Looking at the error logs I think that these errors must be related to the compile warning errors but they don't seem to stop the launcher running.

I have successfully chosen the root directory and the executable and configured my graphics settings, however the audio selection has issues and it fails to save to the profile and requires me to reselect OpenAL each time I start the launcher, generating its own pop-up error when it does so.  The notification ticker at the bottom of the launcher also states "OpenAL32.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory".

I also have no advanced settings as it tells me that the executable did not generate a flag file.  I have tried with FS2 Open 3.7.0 and 3.7.2 (RC5), with the same result.

Attempting to launch Freespace 2, with no mods selected, results in another error and it does not run.  The notification ticker at the bottom of the launcher also states "can't open file '/home/james/.fs2_open/' (error 21: Is a directory)" and "Couldn't create 'data' folder /home/james/.fs2_open/data".  I manually created that directory to see what would happen and this time I don't get a pop-up error but it still fails to run with a notification ticker of "can't open file '/home/james/.fs2_open/fs2_open.ini' (error 2: No such file or directory".  However, with me having manually created the ".fs2_open" directory in my home folder, running the game does result in it adding the "fs2_open.ini" file to the directory and a subdirectory of "data" which contains a file of "cmdline_fso.cfg".

I have saved a copy of each error I am receiving and will attach them here in case they are of use to you in further tweaking.  Let me know if there is something I have missed or that you need me to test.  Thanks again!

[attachment deleted by nobody]

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Did you try installing the AUR package?
It's compiled against wxWidgets 2.8 and works fine for me.

Actually, I hadn't tried the AUR and that's usually my first place to go shopping for stuff.  I thought I'd work with the direct download instead.  I just tried the AUR package instead and it results in exactly the same problem.  I'm really not sure what is going wrong here.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:

Actually, I hadn't tried the AUR and that's usually my first place to go shopping for stuff.  I thought I'd work with the direct download instead.  I just tried the AUR package instead and it results in exactly the same problem.  I'm really not sure what is going wrong here.
That indicates to me, that you are having an issue with your openal.  Can you attach the wxLauncher.log?  See the Troubleshooting section in the main wxLauncher post.

Can you also attach the fs2_open.log, which should be in the data directory with the cmdline_fso.cfg?  What happens when you run fs2_open directly?