Author Topic: The battlestar flyswatter  (Read 2802 times)

The battlestar flyswatter
I was experimenting with the editor to see if I could make something worthwile, and during a test the battlestar that I placed suddenly started moving and spinning around rapidly (without any pattern). It was only supposed to sit in a place (at that time) and launch a few vipers.... The few that managed to exit this deathtrap's tubes/hangar got instantly vaporized by the collision with it a second later. Actually the small explosions appearing everywhere looked almost like a defective flak screen.

Offline Legate Damar

• Keeping up with the Cardassians
  • Hail Cardassia!
Re: The battlestar flyswatter
Screenshot?

the battlestar that I placed suddenly started moving and spinning around rapidly (without any pattern).

What is the model (POF file)? Does it have a moment of inertia? You may want to try and reproduce the odd behaviour with a debug build, and see which warnings/errors come up along the way.

Screenshot?

Well I recorded it sooo here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ju6ry8WJgY

What is the model (POF file)? Does it have a moment of inertia? You may want to try and reproduce the odd behaviour with a debug build, and see which warnings/errors come up along the way.

I'll try those tomorrow when I have time and energy for it.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
That reminds me of issues you can have when you've got small ships docked with larger ones, i.e. without any regard to inertia/mass, the smaller ship maneuvers as normal, swinging the larger ship around as though it were weightless.  Although having said that, I thought the code was fixed to avoid this happening. 

Anyway, in addition checking out FreeSpaceFreak's suggestions, is anything docked with the Battlestar?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Well I recorded it sooo here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ju6ry8WJgY

Hmm, that's the Theseus, right? Its model file should be quite all right. It also doesn't look like a zero-MOI issue (where the rotation speed would typically be on the order of the frame rate). So niffiwan's suggestion is probably more likely.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That reminds me of issues you can have when you've got small ships docked with larger ones, i.e. without any regard to inertia/mass, the smaller ship maneuvers as normal, swinging the larger ship around as though it were weightless.  Although having said that, I thought the code was fixed to avoid this happening.

Not sure if that fix is in the Diaspora build.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Anyway, in addition checking out FreeSpaceFreak's suggestions, is anything docked with the Battlestar?

There were a few ships in it but by the time I recorded it they all took off, actually when they were in it's normal hangar everything was fine, this happened when I put them in the launch tubes. I may have done something wrong there, as I said I was testing.

Edit: found the problem, it was the moment when the vipers take off from the launch tubes.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 11:20:07 am by Andoulline »