Author Topic: Launcher crashes immediately  (Read 3021 times)

Offline AngusT

Launcher crashes immediately
Hey guys, I just read about Diaspora for the first time today, so I apologize if this has been addressed already - I looked over this forum and reddit, and couldn't find any other posts.

I installed R1, then the 1.1 patch, then the 1.1.1 patch. From the patch descriptions it seemed this was the correct order, am I wrong?

I didn't try to launch it until both patches had been installed. The launcher (wxlauncher.exe) comes up but freezes immediately. I cannot change the settings or tabs, it crashes before I'm able to click on anything.

I'm running Windows 7 x64, i7-4770k, asus z87 sabertooth, 32g ram, two R9 290x's, using the 14.4 AMD display drivers. I have 6 monitors hooked up so sometimes that causes issues, so I turned off crossfire and eyefinity, but it didn't seem to make any difference...I mean, it's the launcher that's immediatley crashing so I'm assuming I didn't install things correctly.

Any help would be appreciated, I'll probably try uninstalling and reinstalling all the patches in the meantime. Thanks.

Offline AngusT

Re: Launcher crashes immediately
After reinstalling, the launcher was still crashing, so I found the wxlauncher folder stored in AppData and deleted it.

So now I have the R1 release without any patches, and mmediately after I select the FS2 executable under basic settings the launcher freezes.

Can anyone help? I can't find anyone else with this problem. Thanks.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
This is a new one to me!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Could you produce a wxLauncher debug log?  Details are in the  OP of this thread, under "Troubleshooting". Hopefully that'll give some clues as to why its crashing.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline AngusT

Here's the debug log. Thanks very much, I hope this helps:
http://pastebin.com/tvrPJPLs

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Thanks for the debug log.  Unfortunately, I can't see any obvious errors in it :(  The only thing I can suggest for now is that you're running an older version of wxlauncher (0.9.2).  Try installing version 0.9.4, download links are on the same page I linked previously.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline AngusT

Thanks, sorry, I got that debug version from another troubleshooting post, here's the log from .94: http://pastebin.com/W4c1VFZZ
I don't see anything obvious, though...

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Hmm... I can't really see anything in the log either.

What happens if you attempt to run C:\apps\Diaspora\fs2_open_Diaspora_R1.exe?
----
----

Offline AngusT

Nothing obvious happens - the process is running in the background but no interface opens. The launcher won't let me "activate" the Diaspora mod without selecting the FS2 exe so I can't set any options.
The 0.94 launcher also throws an ASSERT that the mod isn't active on launch, but I assumed that would go away when I was able to select the exe.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Oh - I meant to run that .exe without using the launcher at all.  It probably won't look very pretty, but it would give some more info.  And actually, could you run this one instead (fs2_open_Diaspora_R1_Debug.exe) and then paste the resulting fs2_open.log?
----
----

Offline AngusT

Yes, that's what I did, nothing appears on the screen after running it.
Here's the debug log, looks like it is stuck trying to launch OpenAL - is that something that needs configuration in the launcher?
http://pastebin.com/WVy6UrFu

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
What are you using for a sound card?

Can you try disabling any realtime anti-virus or anti-malware software.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 07:37:20 pm by Iss Mneur »
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline AngusT

I don't have any realtime virus/malware software running - I am using the onboard sound from the ASUS board: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_Z87/specifications/, however, both the 290x's have audio drivers for the HDMI output, and my device manager just crashed when I tried to disable them. We may have a winner! I will reboot and brb.

Offline AngusT

Disabling AMD's audio drivers that are bundled with the 14.4 release fixed the crash.
Thanks for the help!

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Your welcome.  Thank you for posting what fixed it for you.

Interesting source for a program to hang though...
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments