Author Topic: Where are the settings stored?  (Read 2064 times)

Offline GAdama

Where are the settings stored?
Hi there, I found the default keybindings quite cumbersome, and I worked out pretty sweet bindings myself where I don't have to move my hands from their positions on the keyboard to access anything useful.

However, since I invested quite some time into it, I'd like to save the settings in case I need to reinstall the game. And for the life of me I can't figure out where they are stored. I searched everywhere for a settings file throughout my Linux system, but found none. Is it in some form of a database/registry? Any help appreciated.

Re: Where are the settings stored?
Hmm, somebody else can probably confirm this, but I think pilot profiles are store in ~/.fs2_open/, so try displaying hidden files & folders in your home directory and see if its there.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
The keybindings are stored in the pilot file and (as X3N0-Life-Form has mentioned) they're stored in ~/.fs2_open/data/players/. Unfortunately, there's currently no way to store the keybindings config separate to the pilot file. One solution I've heard some people use is to create a "template" pilot, set all the keybindings there and then clone that pilot into other pilots they actually use.

On the modding side, I believe there's a way that a mod or total-conversion can set the default keybindings that newly created pilots receive, unfortunately I don't know much about how to configure that at the moment.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline GAdama

Thanks!

That is what I did. I created a Template pilot and clone from that each time

Offline GAdama

Why the need to clone pilots? I have one and so far haven't had any need to create a second one. Perhaps for different mods of FS2Open?

Well, there used to be some nasty bugs when playing different campaigns using the same pilot profile, so people cloned their pilot profiles when switching mods. As of 3.7.0, which contained a massive overhaul of the pilot code, this is no longer necessary.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Why the need to clone pilots? I have one and so far haven't had any need to create a second one. Perhaps for different mods of FS2Open?

Or if you wanted to start again from scratch but keep your joystick settings. Your pilot file records how many kills you have and also increase in rank as you kill more.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]