Author Topic: Red Faction's future is bright  (Read 7693 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Re: Red Faction's future is bright
some things about it just seemed inconsistent. for example we saw galactica and pegasus take nuke after nuke and still be operable, but the colony takes a raptor load of nukes and dies? wtf?

it wasnt bad, but it seemed kinda rushed.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline mxlm

If this is correct, I can only conclude THQ's managerial types have completely lost their ****.

Normally, I will write these type of stories off as non-news stories. I feel that you announce you have no news about your game until a later date as stories for slow news days, but with E3 and the biggest games there -- it is a slightly different situation, right?

THQ did not do a presentation in the same vein as Ubisoft, Electronic Arts, or Activision, but they did hold a conference call to discuss some of their properties. When asked where Saints Row 3 was, core games VP Danny Bilson told those in attendence that the game will be shown during Spike TV's Video Game Awards in December. Until December you are out of luck trying to find Saints Row 3 material.

His entire quote:

“I’m not going to show it to you today. This is the only room we’re talking about Saints Row 3. We’re not showing it on the floor because the rollout starts in December on Saints Row 3.

“We’ve spent an extra year rebuilding the technology for this game. It is absolutely gorgeous and still completely insane.

“We’re also going to have a collectible card game, we’re going to have books, we’re going to have merchandise – we’re going to build this thing out into the biggest trans-media blowout ever seen.

“Most of these deals are already in place. I believe we’re going to announce this at the Spike awards in December.

“It’s really, really exciting what’s going on with Saint’s Row and when we launch this it’s really going to turn heads to what we’ve done with this brand.

“Saints Row is going to be a monster for us."
In the same vein as the "trans-media blowout", THQ confirmed that they are releasing a Hollywood film. This film will be released the same day as the retail game and allegedly a big name is attached to the movie. GameSpot speculates that it is probably 50 Cent since he attempted to option the rights for a film back in February of 2009.

Either way, at least you got some news, right?

Again assuming this is correct, I'd love to be a fly on the wall over at Volition.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Oh God no, Danny Bilson must be a clone of Bobby Kotick with all the milk he's trying to get from Saint's Row 3.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
some things about it just seemed inconsistent. for example we saw galactica and pegasus take nuke after nuke and still be operable, but the colony takes a raptor load of nukes and dies? wtf?

of course you'd notice the nukes
yeah, I didn't like it much either, multiple other reasons.
fraking hippies.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action

of course you'd notice the nukes
yeah, I didn't like it much either, multiple other reasons.
fraking hippies.

My take on the nukes is this:
They're orbiting a black hole.  This would put an enormous amount of stress on the hull and superstructure of ANY construct, nevermind one the size of the colony.  Also, given that it was "secret" they probably didn't expect it to need to repel nukes so they didn't proof it against them.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
My problem with the nukes was them being launched by a literal dead hand.

They should've had Racetrack wake up, be like **** THE WORLD, and launch.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
I thought that was what happened. She was still barely conscious and FIRED ZE MISSILES right before passing out.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Nope. If you watch the scene, she's actually dead, and it's just an asteroid hitting her ship that knocks her hand onto the launch button.

Offline mxlm

God did it.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
God did it.

I was under the impression that a great big cosmic accident involving a raptor with a dead pilot drifting in an asteroid field that is slowly being pulled into a blackhole happened.

Maybe I was wrong.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline mxlm

I think you were. It was certainly heavily--though inconsistently, thanks writers!--implied that there were supernatural forces at work throughout the series, and in particular in the final scene.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Or sufficiently advanced jerkwad aliens... You can take RDM outta Trek but you can't take the Trek outta RDM...
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Can you put DRM into Trek?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Definitely.  It's a total pain to copy Data.

*rimshot*

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Definitely.  It's a total pain to copy Data.

*rimshot*

oh snap

Offline mxlm

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/110/1105387p2.html

Highlights for me

The other reason why we did this is from a destruction gameplay standpoint. What we've been able to do now is, by going underground, we still have very large environments in terms of the caverns, but what it does it allows us to take those buildings and pack them much more tightly together, with much more density to it, so when you're destroying one building you get a lot of cascading effects on the other buildings that are around it. The other advantage that we have is we now have walls and ceilings that we can put all kinds of destructible materials on, so everything from light fixtures to air ducts, pipes, things of that nature.

Awesome

We were definitely very mindful of hearing that kind of feedback in terms of balance and just the overall tone of what that AI was like, so, with adding these new creatures it really opened the door for us to try different types of tendencies. Some of the enemies that you fight you'll see them leaping about. They'll actually leap on walls and ceilings. You'll actually hear them calling towards each other and certain numbers of them will pour out and try and attack you in very specific ways depending on the unit type.

Could be awesome, could be annoying. If Volition can make this feel like AvP2 with, y'know, buildings blowing the **** up all over the place, that'd be great
And the other big piece of feedback that I think we heard pretty loud and clear from Red Faction: Guerrilla was that it seemed like the fights had a tendency to be a little too difficult, because of that very thing that you were talking about – you keep getting the waves of them spawning in and it starts to become a little bit overwhelming

Thank you Jesus.

we had a lot of areas with a lot of open space, where you'd have to get in a vehicle and drive for long periods of time. It was inherently fun for a little while, but then it started to get a little more tedious, so what we talked a lot about is that by putting it underground we were essentially trying to take a lot of that gameplay and a lot of the objectives and things of that nature and just bring them in tighter

Oh, good, no repeats of that in****ingcredibly annoying 'drive five minutes to get the objective' badlands mission

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
Zylonbane is rolling over in his grave.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Zylonbane is rolling over in his grave.

I suppose the real question is: fast enough for an effective turbine?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
Definitely. We won't need to worry about finding renewable energy sources now. Just feed him details.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline mxlm

It has a magnet gun. Which is to say, you shoot something, then something else, and the first thing goes flying at the second thing. Yes, even parts of buildings.

I dunno, man. I'm kinda excited now.