Author Topic: The FSPort's mod structure  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
The FSPort's mod structure
Honestly. The FSPort has one of the worst mod structures I've seen here at hard-light. In order to play with enhanced graphics, you have to download the retail version of the port and then the mediavps version of it, which is frankly, silly. It's unnecessary and needlessly complicates things as well as somewhat bloats your hard-drive.

Instead, I believe what needs to be done is simple. Separate the two! Have one download for the retail-compatable version of FSPort, and one for the mediavps version of the port.

The retail-compatable version would effectively be what we have now minus the mediavp addon.

The Mediavps version would, of course, have updated missions (for various reasons, one being the FRED texture swapping for nameplates), only contain what it needs that isn't in the regular MVPs, etc etc.

This way would let people choose one or the other (depending on what they want) instead of having to get both for one.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: The FSPort's mod structure
It bloats your hard drive?  Really?  What you're suggesting would bloat it even more.

Yes, it is complicated.  That's a legitimate criticism.  But when the new FSO installer is completed, the install process will be transparent.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
It bloats your hard drive?  Really?  What you're suggesting would bloat it even more.
No it wouldn't. It'd basically be like having just the retail version now without having an addon to have better graphics and such. Both the retail compatible version and the mediavp version would be separated, unlike now.

Yes, it is complicated.  That's a legitimate criticism.  But when the new FSO installer is completed, the install process will be transparent.
But that doesn't really fix the issue here. And certainly, I don't think one would be using the installer after having had their install set up for a while (years, in my case) would really run the installer again.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This has been discussed ad nauseam and I don't particularly feel like discussing it again.

What we have works.  There are legitimate reasons for it to be the way it is.  And things will become easier once the installer is complete.