Author Topic: 3d Exploration?  (Read 2712 times)

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
OK, I'm looking to texture my Iron Duke ship, but Lithunwrap can't read .gmax files. Looking at tutorials I got the idea that a program called 3D Exploration could convert it to a useful format, but I can't find a download of it - only something called Deep Exploration, which costs a lot of money.

I'm stuck. Does anyone have this program, or a suggestion for an alternative? My searching has come to nothing....

Many thanks,

pyro :)
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline Gank

Export it as md3 with the tempest game pack and convert it using 3dexploration. Nothing will read gmax files. Deep exploration will work if you download it of the site but only for 30 days, should be able to find an older copy of 3dex if you look harder though, anything up until version 1.6 doesnt have a time limit on it.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
3D Exploration (not very) time limited demo.

I realised when you mentioned it that someone in the community should definately have a copy up for download :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
in aldo's site theres a full functional 3dex, you'll just have to reload it after 5 files opened. 3dex can't open directly gmax files

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
Eeeeexcellent....

Cheers peeps! :)

EDIT: OK, slight problem. I may just be being stupid, but I can't get Tempest to export. I open the export dialogue, tell it where to save to, filename, format etc, and then a window pops up with a load of options, none of which I have any idea about. Clicking "Export Now" then gives me a "No frames specified" error. I've no idea what that means, and there's no documentation with the tempest pack. How do I make it work?

PS: Sorry about this. It appears very n00bish, I know - something I try to avoid, but there's no useful info I can find about this...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2005, 08:39:08 am by 853 »

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
just export the first frame
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
OK, that's... odd. I did that (just type 1 into the box, yeah?), and it spat out this horrible mangled mess:

:wtf: is going on there?

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
you have to invert the faces
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Wow, that is horrid.  Smoothing is off completely too, so you may have to somehow reset face smoothing in a different modeling program.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Err. Sometimes, there are some alterations made to the meshes in their proprietary formats that 3dex doesn't understand. I've had some weird things happen on a ship that Ryx made, because of that.

You should make sure the file is correct after conversion, and not rely so heavily on 3dex's viewport, all the time. :)
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
Oh god. I think that :hopping: is an accurate description of my mood right now. I'm beyond confused at this point, and I don't know what the hell I'm doing, or what's gone wrong. I've tried re-converting it a few times, and the same thing has happened. The resultant MD3 file won't open again in Tempest (which created it in the first place), so I  don't know if it's just 3DEx playing up or the conversion going wrong. All I wanted to do was to have a go at basic texturing... :doubt:

Would someone be willing to have a look at the mesh for me, and see what's up with it? Cheeky, I know, but I'm stumbling around in the dark with all this stuff and I'm at a loss. I may see if I can find a copy of 3DS Max so I don't have to deal with all this conversion stuff...

EDIT: here's the file: www.freewebs.com/pyro-manic/ironduke.rar
« Last Edit: February 13, 2005, 01:42:14 pm by 853 »

Offline Gank

Reet, open up the file in tempest, see the grey box? That I think is some sort of size limit on the models/maps you can export. Anyways scale it down to about one third the length of the box, export frame 0 and you should have a unborked model to convert.

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
Gank, you are a f**king star. Get yourself a very large beer. :yes: Sorted it out beautifully! Many, many thanks. :)

Now to texture the beastie...

Offline Gank