General FreeSpace > FreeSpace Discussion

Should the name Bastion be retired?

(1/2) > >>

CT27:
In a recent campaign playthrough of TBG, RMJ commented that it felt weird to see another destroyer named Bastion and that he thought that name should be retired.

Do you all agree with that?  Or do you think they would eventually give the name Bastion to another ship?  Or does it not matter all that much?

If a lot of people feel it should be changed I could talk to Herkie about changing the Bastion to another name in a future TBG update  (he would have the final say so I can't promise this informal poll would be binding).

Nightmare:
I like the idea of having some sort of name-continuation within stories; just think of the Enterprise in ST. That has been done before elsewhere in FS modding too, just think of the SOC Galatea in old INF continuity. But I think in most (all?) cases it is a ship of a new class that gets the old name, elseway it'd be plain confusing (can't tell what the case is in TBG tho).

deathspeed:

--- Quote from: Nightmare on May 29, 2023, 07:41:57 pm ---I like the idea of having some sort of name-continuation within stories; just think of the Enterprise in ST. That has been done before elsewhere in FS modding too, just think of the SOC Galatea in old INF continuity. But I think in most (all?) cases it is a ship of a new class that gets the old name, elseway it'd be plain confusing (can't tell what the case is in TBG tho).

--- End quote ---

I was thinking about the Enterprise in the US navy - it has been used on something like 8 different ships!  :)

0rph3u5:
The answer to this question should match the narrative style of the rest of writing.

E.g. If you are aiming for realism, the name and its asociated history and tradition can pass to a new ship as it happens in real militaries - names are powerful symbols, both outward and inward, and are used as such.

But if you are plan to go down a more fancyful direction, a ship's name can be unique to promote a unique identity in the story.

Strygon:
My thought is: who really cares, it's just a name that is shared by an older ship.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version