Author Topic: Scariest gaming monsters  (Read 19385 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: Scariest gaming monsters
You may want to clean the dust off your sarcasm detector's passive cooler, I don't think it's working to specification :P
Some Doom monsters were scary back in the day, but I remember bursting out in laughter whenever I saw the Cacodemon. I mean you're playing a game that tries to scare you with bad monsters, you turn a corner and.. you explode in laughter. A floating tomato? Really? :D

My Sarcasm Detector ™ has never worked properly and i cant be bothered to return it :rolleyes:

Anyway aged 8 playing the demo back in the day, doom was **** scary first few times
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline newman

Sure was. I remember some local game reviewers calling it a "realistic combat simulation". Man that was ridiculous even back then :P
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

The humans in Metro 2033.

Seriously. They ****ed up the world up so much that there is no afterlife in that world...

Offline Luis Dias

Purple Tentacle from Day of the Tentacle..

THIS.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
F.E.A.R. was scary in like 2 or 3 scripted instances for me. The rest of the time it was just boring. Oh look more offices, that'll be great for a gaming environment.

i found fear was ridiculously stock. environments were cliche, offices, construction sites, warehouses, like ive never seen that before. im glad the game only cost me a quarter. it also runs like ****, the ratio between graphics quality to performance was pretty lame, its not like the idtech3 engine that will give you 60 fps in an extremely detailed environment on full settings with mediocre hardware. some years ago i was staring down a bargain bin trying to decide whether i wanted to buy prey or fear. glad i bought prey, thought that game was more about grossing you out and making you nauseous than actually trying to scare you. it did have some environments that were somewhat original. really im not a big fan of the horror genre. i grew up on scary movies, by the time i was 10 there wasnt any movie that could scare me, and i guess thats carried over to games.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter

10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
Totally forgot about that Zelda-zombie scream :shaking:
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline Enigmatic Entity

• Exemplar Essayer
  • Amigo ad infinitum.
I know one monster that is a few thousand helluvas more scarry than everything mentioned in that article.

It hides in a mysterious nebula in a Pegasus.

I always thought there was something evil about Delta 1...
Juvenescence and multifariousness is eternal.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The humans in Metro 2033.

Seriously. They [twist]

God damn it can you put this **** in spoiler tags
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 09:56:27 am by General Battuta »

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Shamblers / Vores? (spidery Q1 things?)
FINALLY someone else mentions them.

Various creatures that raped my childhood and were subsequently repressed.

Goddammit Why did you remind me of the goddamn Dead Hand :shaking:

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Various creatures that raped my childhood and were subsequently repressed.

Goddammit Why did you remind me of the goddamn Dead Hand :shaking:

Because it creeps the everliving **** out of me
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Halleck

That invisible demon from Doom used to scare the piss out of me.

I also agree about Ravenholm in HL2.

Water demon was really scary in Amnesia, but so was everything else about that game, including walking.

I don't think any particular thing was scarier than others in Another World/Out of This World, but the whole experience was frightening because you were so powerless. Even when you had a gun you were still really vulnerable, death could always be waiting for you on the next screen or even run in to the one you were on!

Offline Mika

Hmm scary monsters in a game?

Can't think of anything particularly scary, the closest I now recall is the Battlelord boss from the end of the shareware level of Duke3D. And even him isn't scary, but hearing that roar in the later episodes meant busy and tedious moments coming ahead!
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
(Multi Pic Snip)
Oh, God. I'd almost forgotten. First time I played OOT and ran across any three of those undead freakshows, I damn near crapped my pants.

FEAR is fighting Floormasters, not knowing the tricks or having quite enough skill to keep them from multiplying, and knowing that eventually, you're gonna goof, and that rotting, scrabbly hand is gonna be at your throat. Then you'll have more Floormasters to fight, which means yet more disembodied hell-spawned hands!

FEAR is fighting Redead without the Sun's Song- I was absolutely mortified to get near them because of that Godforsaken shrieking! If I didn't need to kill them, believe you me, I ran past their hideous masked gaze like a little girl. No, I am not at all ashamed to admit that- not running fast enough invariably meant moldy zombie rape!

FEAR is the first time you fight Dead Hand. Goddamned Dead Hand. Really, where should I start? Perhaps with the freakishly long, rotting arms that grow from the floor of skulls like some Satanic vegetation? Or maybe we should talk about the main body of the creature, a mutilated blob of flesh with bloody mockeries of stumps and that worm-ridden face atop an emaciated, charnel serpent?

****. Not even Dead Space ignited my KILL IT WITH FIRE instinct as much as those creatures did. I vote Turambar wins this thread.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 02:32:38 pm by IronBeer »
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Half-Life's Ichthyosaur is one of the few game creations that actually made me jump.

System Shock 2 is an entire game that made me jump.  I STILL maintain it has the scariest atmosphere of any game I've played (although Transcend is right up there *props to Ransom*).  However, none of the individual enemies were that terrifying... it was more the fact that you have 3 rounds left in your pistol, which is at maintenance condition 1 and ready to break, are out of psi hypos, have half health, know that you have four corridors to go before you reach the damn elevator, and can hear one of the female hybrid-bot mothers clanking along around the corner up ahead.  Hydroponics was the worst.  That game's monster respawn, weapons maintenance, and requirement to spend points to even USE a weapon to begin with were absolutely unforgiving.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

I vote Turambar wins this thread.

Seconded. Because ****ing Dead Hand and ****ing Rape Zombies.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
You can sneak by all of them by holding the spin slash button and moving past them.  They don't go after you or freeze you if you hold it.

And then the Sun's Song, which you can get before you even go up Death Mountain Trail for the first time makes them the most pushover enemies in the game just about.  Especially since you don't have to wait until it cuts out to refresh the effect.

Floormasters are harder, yes, but just hookshot the bastards and it one hits them, you don't have to get close, and you can kill them before they get big again.

But I will say Dead Hand can just go off itself.  Hate those guys.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Ugh, Dead Hand...wryyyyyyy

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Arch-viles, holy ****.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."