Author Topic: Galactica re-re-imagining  (Read 15022 times)

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Galactica re-re-imagining
Bryan Singer has been confirmed to direct and produce a Battlestar Galactica movie completely unrelated to the show we love and cherish: http://movies.ign.com/articles/101/1014083p1.html

So, uhm, anyone else think this is going to be either really awesome or really fraked up?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 12:12:42 pm by Lt.Cannonfodder »

Re: Galactica re-re-imganining
I'm reserving judgment until I know more.  Although I would prefer the movie to be based on the re-imagining rather than being a re-re-imagining.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Battlestar Funtopia the Movie?

On further reflection, they better not do anything to frak up the franchise, bad enough I need to explain that its different then the one with Lorne Greene let alone now having some cock up movie to deal with as well.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 12:11:39 pm by StarSlayer »
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline newman

I don't think the BSG franchise needs a reimagining, at least not any time soon.
I'll of course watch it and form an opinion based on that, but for now I'm thinking that RDM and the crew did an excellent job on the BSG reimagination that started in 2003, and I'd prefer any further BSG stuff being done by them.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 12:15:41 pm by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Who are they going to get that can out-Adama Edward James Olmos?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Christian bale
it will be either set immediately after she is built, or during the 1st cylon war, or both.
just gonna call it here and now.

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!
Re: Galactica re-re-imagining
I think its too soon.

Series just ended, new cast, new style, new shaped Battlestar????

Far too soon for this,

But who knows, may work out okay
In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
It seems, the new movie is based on the original series, not the RIS one.

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/101/1013496p1.html

Offline Demitri

Oh dear. I can see this ending in tears  :(
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Ah, I get it now. Glen Larson is riding the re-imagined BSG wave in order to accomplish his dreams of making a movie based on his original version. Too bad that TOS blew chunks.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
So in fact the thread title should be "Galactica un-re-imagining"

See what happens when you vote Democrat?  You get happy camp 70s movies about the annihilation of humanity instead of grim/dark drama.  Obama gets you Daggits, Bush gets you snapping babies necks.

Note if you take that seriously actually try to turn this thread into a political debate I will show up where you live and deliver a Mordhau to your face
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 01:22:08 pm by StarSlayer »
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

There's only one Bill Adama as far as I'm concerned. If he's not in it I'm not watching.

And to a lesser extent the whole of the rest of the cast  ;)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 05:48:50 am by Sidestep »

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, I'll wait and see, if it has more explosions and less shaky-cam to display them, then it has a possibility to be a good movie, as long as people don't expect it to be like the series.

Personally, as much as I loved the series, I think it'd be quite fun to have a good old fashioned space-shooty movie without 90 minutes of angst, politics and self-loathing ;)

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
So in fact the thread title should be "Galactica un-re-imagining"

See what happens when you vote Democrat?  You get happy camp 70s movies about the annihilation of humanity instead of grim/dark drama.  Obama gets you Daggits, Bush gets you snapping babies necks.

Note if you take that seriously actually try to turn this thread into a political debate I will show up where you live and deliver a Mordhau to your face

:sigh:

Honestly, what the franchise needs is another 15 years or so and another re-boot after that. A show at that time that's maybe a little less grimdark in having characters a bit more "noble" (i.e. most of the characterization in the new show honestly doesn't work, but the actors make it work, they'd be washed out of anything other than a Somalian militia, it's one thing to show a degradation over time, but they should start out a bit more squeaky clean even if they're the misfits before being washed out, modeling the characterization more after one character done right, Gaeta, where they start by-the-book and innocent and after two years on the run perjure themselves and are willing to commit heinous acts while blinding themselves with their idealism works)

But such a new reboot should be keeping the harsh realities of the '00s series (having to abandon thousands without FTL drives, sacrificing people to stop a fire, etc.). ...and a more coherent, cohesive, mythology that can actually be delivered on as opposed to the convoluted self-destructing myth-arcs typical of late 90s early 00s shows.

The best show would be tricking you into thinking it's a "naturalistic scifi" version of the original series (Adama, Apollo, and Starbuck all as role models) and then over the years turning it into an utterly soul-crushing story where everything they believe is wrong and humanity is not only doomed but must die to set things right. :p The end of the series making Moore and Larson crying in the corner like Tobias Funke wishing that the new-age hokey BSGod or the Ships of Light could Deus Ex Machina the Rag Tag Fleet out of danger, but being a REAL naturalistic sci-fi show, no such plot devices would exist ;)

...and yes I've had my Cavilistic rage towards the BSGod since head six appeared in the miniseries. Doesn't stop a lot of the show from working, but does go against the whole premise of a non-technobabble, solid look into human nature.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 02:22:56 pm by Ace »
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Personally, I'm looking forward to the huge internet flame-war that is bound to follow the announcement of whichever gender Starbuck is ;)

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
Starbuck should be a man, and Apollo a girl. That'll rile them up ;)

One thing to shoot your hypothesis down Slayer:
The Show that Shall not be named was under Reagan.

Death squads and daggits!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 02:36:41 pm by Ace »
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Narvi

At least they don't have to try and integrate the silly finale into this.

Honestly, it's like B5. They completely killed any possible meaningful continuation with that ending.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Honestly, I hope they'll do the smart thing and not **** around with...well, anything, except telling a good war story. People have been afraid of doing that since like 1960, unless they were running a show about WW2 on HBO.

I like to think about what BSG would have been if it had been born of the same sensablities as Fred Saberhagen's Berserker. :/ Bill as Jonathan Karlsen would have really worked, but they up and derailed him very badly sometime after he ended the witch hunt in Season 1. (For frak's sake, the man's father was a civil liberties lawyer.)
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
On that note, it would have been interesting if the "MARX IN SPACE!" episode was in Season 1, dealing with the total lack of an economy. Adama having to struggle between "your strike is putting the survival of the human race on the line" and actually wanting to give them some dignity would have been interesting.
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Morwen

just

No.