Author Topic: Epic 343 Industries Announcements - Master Chief is Back!  (Read 9590 times)

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Re: Epic 343 Industries Announcements - Master Chief is Back!
Not to feed the rants, but I've been collecting Halo CEA info like crazy...

There's no Halo CE multiplayer outside of co-op... the 7 maps are made for Reach, with one of those being a campaign
map rehashed for firefight. It's like ODST's 2 disc affair...  the reason 343 decided not to make CE multiplayer, they claim is
lag, and everyone would run around getting headshots with the CE pistol. So they didn't want to fracture the (already dwindling
and disappointed) community. So they're going to stick with Reach's system.

Needless to say the waypoint forums are pretty active with folks voicing their opposition against this rip of Halo CE.
We're basically getting the original CE (same engine and all, it's got another engine on top doing the graphical change) which everyone
has played already... and a Reach map pack.

Dang it 343... arrgh.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'm literally completely fine with that.

As am I. CE was good, I enjoyed it then, still do now, and any serious screwing with it would annoy me.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Now Halo CE with a graphical update does sound kinda nice... I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I said I hoped there would be something different, but do you think there will be anything that stands out?

From a Halo perspective?  That screw on grenade launcher for the Chief's pistol stands out.

From a general FPS standpoign?  That screw on grenade launcher for a pistol kinda stands out.  Sure, you've got rifle grenades, but pistol is new.

Plus, we've seen nothing at all of the campaign.  At all.  Bit early to be so pessimistic.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
When it comes to games, I'm always pessimistic, else I'd waste so much money buying everything that looks cool. :lol:
But your right, so I digress.

2) Halo 4 - The first in a new trilogy. Trailer on Halo Waypoint. Due out Summer or Christmas next year.

Okay, I can't resist....

The Halo series has become the Bush administration!

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
And thus hundreds of thousands of fratboys cried out in joy.

Could you please just stop being a tool for ten seconds in Hard Light Productions Gaming Discussion?  **** I don't even like Halo that much and haven't since Halo 2, I greeted this trailer with a colossal shrug, but stop this thing where it's okay for you to wax rhapsodic about your favorite games but if you like something outside of Stuff Mongoose Enjoys you're in the frat boy taste leagues or you're a drone who enjoys brown military shooters, wrap it all up with a tongue emote and call it done.

You're better than that.

Asides from the rant at Mongoose, that's how I feel about the Halo franchise (Well, ODST wasn't too bad), and Reach made my feelings for the series take a nose dive. Worst sci-fi writing ever? Quite possibly.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
You've obviously never read bad Sci-Fi if you think that was the worst ever.

It was disappointing compared to what it could have been, but it falls decidedly on the mediocre portion of the scale.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Please don't tempt me to write bad sci-fi, Ravenholme. I have enough trouble with my current projects.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Please don't tempt me to write bad sci-fi, Ravenholme. I have enough trouble with my current projects.

Okay, it was one of the worst written sci-fi game plots to come out of the Western games industry. But it falls on the bad side of the mediocre sliding scale. It's so bland and unoriginal and blueeeughghg. And let's not talk about how flat a character Chief is, I'm sorry if I find the idea of playing a supersoldier who has no real setbacks uninviting and boring.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Huh, you're right.  It's obviously worse than Command and Conquer 4.  Or Duke Nukem Forever.  Or The Force Unleashed.  Or any number of a hundred titles that don't get spotlights for how bad they are because nobody cares.

I can't argue that the Chief isn't flat.  He is.  But then that's probably why he's the player character.  A game that constantly ****s on the player isn't the most fun thing to play.

Besides which, kidnapped from his parents at age 6, subjected to horrifying enhancement procedures that had a greater than 50% casualty rate, 30 years constant combat in a unit you don't get to leave until you die, jumped by horrifying parasites, stranded alone in the middle of SpaceTM in a dinky fighter, jumped again by horrifying parasites, stranded on a large hostile ship in the middle of SpaceTM, chucked out the window of said large hostile ship into Earth's atmosphere for a last-minute appointment with the ground, jumped a third time by horrifying parasites, and finally stranded in a derelict ship in the middle of SpaceTM.

And that's just the stuff you learn about in the games proper.  Yeah, those aren't real setbacks.  Just because we hear an unwavering voice doesn't mean nothing bad happens.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Huh, you're right.  It's obviously worse than Command and Conquer 4.  Or Duke Nukem Forever.  Or The Force Unleashed.  Or any number of a hundred titles that don't get spotlights for how bad they are because nobody cares.

I can't argue that the Chief isn't flat.  He is.  But then that's probably why he's the player character.  A game that constantly ****s on the player isn't the most fun thing to play.

Besides which, kidnapped from his parents at age 6, subjected to horrifying enhancement procedures that had a greater than 50% casualty rate, 30 years constant combat in a unit you don't get to leave until you die, jumped by horrifying parasites, stranded alone in the middle of SpaceTM in a dinky fighter, jumped again by horrifying parasites, stranded on a large hostile ship in the middle of SpaceTM, chucked out the window of said large hostile ship into Earth's atmosphere for a last-minute appointment with the ground, jumped a third time by horrifying parasites, and finally stranded in a derelict ship in the middle of SpaceTM.

And that's just the stuff you learn about in the games proper.  Yeah, those aren't real setbacks.  Just because we hear an unwavering voice doesn't mean nothing bad happens.

So he's the unstoppable flatman who has it because of a bad past. So interesting. Wait, no it's not, that's fanfiction level of writing. [Oh my OC is so powerful but he/she is such because of a dark and conflicted and edgy past~] There is no joy in playing Superman, for me, and he stinks of author avatarism (I can so see Chief being whom the guys at Bungie wanted to be).

We're hearing plenty about how bad DNF is, TFU was consistently slated and it's sequel was derided, C&C 4 was spat upon and buried. The reason you consistently hear about Halo is because for some reason it became a hit (Well, probably because it's a fun multiplayer game series), but for a game series that makes itself out as some sci-fi magnum opus of awesome, the writing and attention paid to the SP campaigns and their own canon is shockingly bad. Reach especially is guilty of these points, the quality of the writing was godawful and it pretty much kicked over everything else about the Fall of Reach. Halo 1 and the first novels were decent, if average sci-fi. Halo 2 was okay, ODST was a peak back up to Halo 1 levels, and then 3 and Reach were just downhill.

Of course, I *also* dislike the Halo series for eclipsing the Advent Rising series, because that was a series that had marginally more potential and that I enjoyed somewhat more than Halo 1 (Although, naturally, Halo 1's MP wins out, as AR had none).

Maybe I should point out this is the opinion of a gamer who enjoys singleplayer more than MP, because I enjoy the plots and stories of games, so it irks me when a series (Halo post 2) claims to be something other than a reason to justify their multiplayer man-shoots.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 05:32:53 pm by Ravenholme »

<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The Chief was actually a lot more interesting (sorta) in Halo 1, where he was sort of a dryly wisecracking Clint Eastwood figure. After that they made him into a lobotomized Power Ranger.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
The Chief was actually a lot more interesting (sorta) in Halo 1, where he was sort of a dryly wisecracking Clint Eastwood figure. After that they made him into a lobotomized Power Ranger.

Yeah, I completely agree with you there.

<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Quote from: Ravenholme
We're hearing plenty about how bad DNF is, TFU was consistently slated and it's sequel was derided, C&C 4 was spat upon and buried.

Probably a problem with how I said it, but the 'hundred other titles you never hear about' was not meant to include the three prominent titles I led with.

Chief is also the unstoppable flatman because that's what the player does over the course of a game.  Unless you're going to say that you don't like playing Half-Life as well because Gordan Freeman is an even blockier piece of wood who never suffers any setbacks (which I highly doubt, given your username :P).

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
His username isn't from Half-Life, bro.

And yeah I don't think that's any excuse for a boring protagonist. Lots of games have well-written - okay, maybe not well written, but written - protagonists and still have plenty of crazy action. Uncharted, God of War, hurr blurr

Gordon Freeman is dumb and ruins my suspension of disbelief :goonqq: