Author Topic: Mech games  (Read 16774 times)

Offline nvsblmnc

• I'm a minefield of information.
Thinking bout mech games, has anyone else experienced MW3's amazing bouncy tank glitch? 

I've almost eliminated it from my system, but it still seems that every time I initially target a tank it leaps a few miles into the sky, lands upside down and then attacks me sliding around the battlefield on it's turret.  :eek2:

And I'll kind of agree with the anti-pirate's moon sentiment, although I did like the fact that every opposing mech had a custom weapons config.  I just can't believe that so many pilots would take out stock chasssis as you find in the other games.
When the reactor explodes, it's usually a sign that you've taken too much damage.

Offline Cyker

Yeah, this is very typical running MW3 under WinNT-based systems.

The mech3.org folks have found ways to reduce it happening (Fire up dxdiag and hard-limit the refresh to 60, turn on as many enhancements as you can (Full AA, Aniso etc.)... basically try and slow it down as much as playable.

I wish Mech3 had its code available as its definitely the better of the modern Mech games.

If some stuff from Mech2 (Things that just worked better lie the AI, formation and cool stuff like Enhanced Imaging and how weapons fired out of the right hard-point locations!) were ported to Mech3 it would be the best Mech sim bar none ;)

I never liked Mech4; It just doesn't feel like you're driving a 75T death machine with a nuclear reactor stuck to it :(

Offline nvsblmnc

I though MW4 was okay - especially with the MekTek add-ons.

There were too many 'mechs inthe missions, though and they felt less powerful for it.  In MW3 every 'mech was a serious adversary just because they were so rare.

When you drop into a mission in MW4 and immediately take on a dozen light 'mechs, they seemed to be less the 'awesome weapons of war' and more of an expendable, conventional vehicle.
When the reactor explodes, it's usually a sign that you've taken too much damage.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
A couple of months ago I *cough* got Heavy Gear 2.

Now the fun part: I can install it, it works...
...and I can't even bloody move my gear!

I've found out it has to do with the Direct Input code - which simply can't accept that there are nations whose alphabet require a unicode or the ISO-8859-2 charset.

Anyone else had any luck with circumventing this?
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Roanoke

There were too many 'mechs inthe missions, though and they felt less powerful for it.  In MW3 every 'mech was a serious adversary just because they were so rare.

When you drop into a mission in MW4 and immediately take on a dozen light 'mechs, they seemed to be less the 'awesome weapons of war' and more of an expendable, conventional vehicle.

I never thought of MW4 like that, but that is a good point.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title

What the heck are you talking about? In MW4 you faced a lot more conventional vehicles than MW3 and I mean a lot more, there's even that one mission we're you face only one mech and dozens of hovercraft!

In MW3 there werent that many vehicles and most of the enemies were mechs. The problem was the way the made the mechs, it was too cartoony were it should've been with a more serious thing like MW3.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Hold on; he does have a point. Perhaps AI was better, but it was uncommon to engage more than one enemy lance/star at a time in MW3, and always a cause for serious concern. This isn't true in MW4.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Hold on; he does have a point. Perhaps AI was better, but it was uncommon to engage more than one enemy lance/star at a time in MW3, and always a cause for serious concern. This isn't true in MW4.

I know and I agree he has a point in that, what I'm talking about is the number of vehicles you faced, it was clearly a lot more in MW4 than MW3.

Offline nvsblmnc

I realise that there were many more opponents in MW4, and I'll agree that the tanks you face are much more dangerous.

I just didn't feel threatened by the 'mechs though.  In the Eaton Revolution mission (mercs) a full medium/heavy lance comes right at you, and I've always felt safe charging my Argus head-on to meet them (even though they occasionally roll right on over me).

In MW3, I felt a huge amount of trepidation at approaching a single Orion or Vulture, even when I was in a heaver 'mech.  The lights were less of a worry (except the puma), but anything bigger than a Strider was something to respect.

I also think that one of the things that should've been kept was the recoil from firing A/Cs and gauss rifles - the thought that the muzzle burst from a gun could shake a 75-ton walker made them seem much more frightening to face.

In MW3, I felt a huge amount of trepidation at approaching a single Orion or Vulture, even when I was in a heaver 'mech.  The lights were less of a worry (except the puma), but anything bigger than a Strider was something to respect.

Agreed.

MW4:, oh, just another Daishi.
MW3: OMG! ITS AN ANNIHILATOR! Concentrate your fire! Retreat!

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
The first annihilator in MW3 was friggin terrifying.  It took me a good number of tries to beat that mission
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
I recall the last mission in MW3 being kind of rough, and it's just a 1 to 1 fight between two lances, IIRC. Yeah, it's all coming back to me now. The enemy commander has a Daishi with double ultra-autocannons that knock you down every time no matter what you're piloting. UltraACs were actually dangerous in MW3, I recall reading somewhere that they fired explosive shells, meanwhile in MW4: "Ooooh, it shoots two bullets at once instead of one. Yippee." :doubt:
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline nvsblmnc

I recall the last mission in MW3 being kind of rough, and it's just a 1 to 1 fight between two lances, IIRC. Yeah, it's all coming back to me now. The enemy commander has a Daishi with double ultra-autocannons that knock you down every time no matter what you're piloting. UltraACs were actually dangerous in MW3, I recall reading somewhere that they fired explosive shells, meanwhile in MW4: "Ooooh, it shoots two bullets at once instead of one. Yippee." :doubt:
Yep, MW3 ultras were incredibly nasty.  Mount a UAC/20 and anything lighter than a Blackhawk gets knocked straight over.  Of course, the recoil was horrific, but that's where pilot skill comes in.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title

Agreed.

MW4:, oh, just another Daishi.
MW3: OMG! ITS AN ANNIHILATOR! Concentrate your fire! Retreat!

The two Annihilators on the mission were you have to use artillery to take down a gate is something I'll always hate, the first not so much but the second is right in the middle of the town and it's a pain to take it out. :ick:

The first annihilator in MW3 was friggin terrifying.  It took me a good number of tries to beat that mission.

[PTSD]So many LBX autocannons....[/PTSD]

The four LBX5's (I think they were fives, anyway) were brutal.  "Oh, just snipe the thing!"  I'm ****ing trying, but it's got mother****ing shotguns that can fire out to eight hundred mother****ing meters!

Honestly, though, the heat system made MechWarrior 3 for me.  In any given fight, managing heat was as much a battle as outmaneuvering your opponent.  MechWarrior 4 then proceeded to nerf the effect of heat to the point where they may as well have taken the damn heat gauge out.  For this reason, I call MW3 a sim to which my heart belongs, and MW4 a shooter that I only got much play-time out of due to its better network code.

Offline nvsblmnc

The Ani had LBX10s, and was an incredibly crunchy infighter.  The only real tactics are to rush it or wait for it to run out of ammo, both of which almost guarantee you're gonna get mauled in the process.

And that's what I like about it.  I was afraid to engage other 'mechs because I knew they could hit back at least as hard as I could hit them.  In MW4, I remember the mission where I took on two Zeus (80t) and a pair of Thanatos (75t) straight away, then a pair of Fafnir (100t) followed by four more Zeus and a quartet of Longbows (85t).

That's 1,170 tons of hostiles - and I never felt truly threatened.  That first Ani terrified me, though, especially since the first time I saw it it flattened Epona's Bushwacker with it's opening salvo.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Ahem.. :nervous:  Is there a MW3 > MW4 conversion project around?  That'd be awesome!  I remember my uncle playing MW3, it was teh pwnage, but from what I'm hearing here, MW4 was wussed out.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
The Ani had LBX10s, and was an incredibly crunchy infighter.  The only real tactics are to rush it or wait for it to run out of ammo, both of which almost guarantee you're gonna get mauled in the process.

And that's what I like about it.  I was afraid to engage other 'mechs because I knew they could hit back at least as hard as I could hit them.  In MW4, I remember the mission where I took on two Zeus (80t) and a pair of Thanatos (75t) straight away, then a pair of Fafnir (100t) followed by four more Zeus and a quartet of Longbows (85t).

That's 1,170 tons of hostiles - and I never felt truly threatened.  That first Ani terrified me, though, especially since the first time I saw it it flattened Epona's Bushwacker with it's opening salvo.

You have to note that in MW4:Mercs, you had two lances to back you up, so that's why you could face that many mechs, try going with a lance only and things get that much harder.

Ahem.. :nervous:  Is there a MW3 > MW4 conversion project around?  That'd be awesome!  I remember my uncle playing MW3, it was teh pwnage, but from what I'm hearing here, MW4 was wussed out.

That would be cool but I never heard of anyone making that. There is a MW mod for Crysis though.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

Offline nvsblmnc

You have to note that in MW4:Mercs, you had two lances to back you up, so that's why you could face that many mechs, try going with a lance only and things get that much harder.
I can see that, but between the two heavies the player has at that point and the medium being piloted by Rhi, you still outwigh the first Ani by 90-100 tons.  It's presence was just so much more frightening.

I like the idea of taking a single lance, though, and I'll try that next time.  Most of my lancemates couldn't hit the ground if they fell over, anyway...