FreeSpace Releases > Mission & Campaign Releases

RELEASE - Freespacelancer

(1/9) > >>

Goober5000:
Sort of.  This isn't a real release so much as a proof-of-concept that got a little out of hand.  I whipped it up this evening to demonstrate something I had in mind to ShadowWolf, and then I kept adding stuff to it. :p

Basically, you are a mercenary for hire.  You go from sector to sector, looking for jobs and getting paid.  Some jobs require you to have more experience than other jobs, and certain jobs won't be available at certain times.  As you earn money, you get to purchase better ships and weapons.

The majority of this can be done quite effectively with persistent variables, and the rest can be implemented with the variable loadout code that I still haven't gotten around to doing.  But I thought people might be interested in seeing an actual demonstration of how this kind of campaign would work.

There's no combat and very little plot (although the Mission Designer does make an appearance ;)).  Just fly from sector to sector and take whatever jobs you find.  Jump out within 500m of an object to follow that object, and jump out elsewhere to check your score.  You'll get the hang of it once you start playing it.

Oh, and two things you guys may be interested to know: I'm fairly certain that this is the first nonlinear Freespace campaign ever released.  And it was all done in retail FRED. ;)

http://staff.hard-light.net/goober5000/downloads/freespacelancer.zip

EDIT: update link

Knight Templar:
No combat? So it's a demo to show that it can be done?

Silent Warrior:
Interesting... Very interesting...

ShadowWolf_IH:
We were discussing ho9w Mercs was going to work, and it's alot like this.

MetalDestroyer:
Cool, now we have to expect some kind of Freelancer gameplay or I war 2 gameplay into the Freespace Universe or maybe into the Star Wars / Star Trek Universe :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version