Hosted Projects - Standalone > WoD Archive

The Mary Sue Race Test

(1/3) > >>

Lorric:
I found this:

http://www.springhole.net/writing/marysuerace.htm

Spoon, have the Cyrvans take the Mary Sue Race Test. I'm not sure if they'll pass you know, but I don't know the answers to some of the questions.

NGTM-1R:
Hi, these are bad, and you should feel bad for pushing bad tools for writing.

The E:
That test is unbelievably bad. Both the Shivans and Vishnans from BP get tagged as "probably a Mary Sue race", which I believe noone has ever argued for in any of the discussions.

Seriously, Lorric, this is a case where the only sane response is "STOP HELPING!", because you're very definitely not.
Just like the previous trollscritics WoD has attracted, you give something that is almost, but not quite valuable advice; advice that is unsolicited and, judging by the success Spoon has had, unnecessary.

Lorric:
It was only supposed to be a bit of lighthearted fun. At least Legate Damar's getting into it, so some good came out of it :)

Ah, the term "Mary Sue" is a vague thing anyway.

Who are these "critics"? I normally only ever see good things said about WoD.

The E:
"lighthearted fun" in the same way that "add gargants" was constructive criticism.

The point is, this "test" signifies nothing.

Let us take a look at this. The test supposedly checks whether or not a fictional race is a Mary Sue race. Now, the question is, what are you supposed to do with the result? One of the best SF backgrounds in existence (Iain Banks' Culture universe) features a race that is so blatantly Mary-Sue-ish that you could pretty much tick all the boxes in that little test, and it still manages to be compelling and a good playground for the author.
Then let us consider the Shivans. Even they score 10 points on that Test, making them dangerously Mary-Sue (They could score higher, if we knew the canonical answers to all the sex/procreation stuff the test asks about), yet noone ever said "Welp, those Shivans are faaaar to boring to be taken seriously".

Also, the term "Mary Sue" is not vague at all. I think it's actually rather well defined for something that is on Tvtropes.

Trying to pass off a test that is supposed to check for the presence of a given trope (one whose presence is implied to be negative) for lighthearted fun is at best misguided, at worst trolling IMHO.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version