Hosted Projects - Standalone > Wings of Dawn

Reviews and Feedback thread Episode 1 & 2

<< < (3/20) > >>

Commander Zane:
That was all? I haven't had my fill yet! ;)

Well worth the wait oh my god.

The expansion to the prelude and actual Episode 1 did well to flesh out that part of the story and really got me into the flow of the revision. I'm obviously going to need to go back to check out the other outcomes since I screwed up some parts not being aware of what would happen if I did certain things, but the fact that even fifteen missions later those actions affected how some of the missions went is absolutely mind-blowing. The added interactive elements to the VN sequences are great, the faction diversity with the characters is great, the combat throughout Episode 2 is a ****ing rush and the cinematics are spectacular. I don't know how I'd word any of this better when I had as much fun with the initial Episode 1 release as I did and find oh look at that, it's even better now.

It's awesome that there's callbacks to some of the original WoD missions, especially since they're much better executed and less restrictive.

Also Mandibles are dicks and **** you for managing to make me tear up to a FreeSpace mod. <3

Seriously, this release is amazing. Don't stop being awesome WoD team.

Spoon:

--- Quote from: Commander Zane on January 01, 2019, 07:51:27 am ---That was all? I haven't had my fill yet! ;)

Well worth the wait oh my god.

The expansion to the prelude and actual Episode 1 did well to flesh out that part of the story and really got me into the flow of the revision. I'm obviously going to need to go back to check out the other outcomes since I screwed up some parts not being aware of what would happen if I did certain things, but the fact that even fifteen missions later those actions affected how some of the missions went is absolutely mind-blowing. The added interactive elements to the VN sequences are great, the faction diversity with the characters is great, the combat throughout Episode 2 is a ****ing rush and the cinematics are spectacular. I don't know how I'd word any of this better when I had as much fun with the initial Episode 1 release as I did and find oh look at that, it's even better now.

It's awesome that there's callbacks to some of the original WoD missions, especially since they're much better executed and less restrictive.

Also Mandibles are dicks and **** you for managing to make me tear up to a FreeSpace mod. <3

Seriously, this release is amazing. Don't stop being awesome WoD team.

--- End quote ---
Awesome, thanks! 

CKid:
Really enjoyed the remastering of episode 1. Felt it was much more fleshed out story wise and game-play wise. The new missions certainly added some much needed length to the episode. I always felt that the original vision was too short. The mission Holding off the Nordera while the zephyr reaches the node was a welcomed addition.

The return of OldWod characters in NuWod was fantastic. Like meeting up with old friends you haven't seen in years (I guess it has been years), Misuzu and Milkshake personalities are spot on. Misuzu still being the nerdy care-free jokester and Milkshake being blunt and foul-mouthed but now she has a face. Love the chemistry between these two.

The last few missions were damn intense and challenging but not to the point where you were being overwhelmed and losing track of your objectives. That Nordera torpedo barrage was insane and the way you deal with the juggernaut was masterfully done. Those animated cooling pods with all the effects were so "cool" looking.

Well done Spoon and all those involved. I'll be busy doing another couple runs of this campaign cause I still haven't used half of the ships or even a third of the weapons yet. Too much selection!

Spoon:

--- Quote from: CKid on January 01, 2019, 02:11:00 pm ---Really enjoyed the remastering of episode 1. Felt it was much more fleshed out story wise and game-play wise. The new missions certainly added some much needed length to the episode. I always felt that the original vision was too short. The mission Holding off the Nordera while the zephyr reaches the node was a welcomed addition.

The return of OldWod characters in NuWod was fantastic. Like meeting up with old friends you haven't seen in years (I guess it has been years), Misuzu and Milkshake personalities are spot on. Misuzu still being the nerdy care-free jokester and Milkshake being blunt and foul-mouthed but now she has a face. Love the chemistry between these two.

The last few missions were damn intense and challenging but not to the point where you were being overwhelmed and losing track of your objectives. That Nordera torpedo barrage was insane and the way you deal with the juggernaut was masterfully done. Those animated cooling pods with all the effects were so "cool" looking.

Well done Spoon and all those involved. I'll be busy doing another couple runs of this campaign cause I still haven't used half of the ships or even a third of the weapons yet. Too much selection!

--- End quote ---
At the risk of sounding like a broken record: Awesome, Thanks!

If we take the original WoD release date, then it really has been over 8 years since we last saw these characters. (And that's kind of nuts, and it makes me feel really old.)

procdrone:
My review.

How should I even start this... Ill start off by saying I played all Spoon releases in the WoD project. The Original, the old Chapter 1, and now, new Chapter 1&2.

And as a "veteran", I cannot help but notice the amount of retconing going on, with each new entry, A lot of things did change. While I will not blame Spoon, I have to mark this as some thing were just a tad confusing, and in some instances, I was wondering how Spoon will glue on old characters here. Do not get me wrong - its very welcoming to see the old team come together. I don't mean its a bad thing overall, I just had to point it out, since I just couldn't get it out of the back of my head.

While keeping the universe he made coherent, the story got redesigned. Was it for the better? Not able to tell until we see the conclusion to the story. (hopefully)

So far though, I enjoyed it. It builds up decently, and provides answers in its time. Keeps things interesting - and engaging. I couldn't play anything else until i managed to beat WoD. It keeps inside its genre well. (gimme chapter 3 already ;_;)

All these technological improvements like VN menus, animations, art direction... is absolutely of the highest quality. One could write a lot about it, but ill keep it short. Its good. I liked it a lot. Animating characters is surely a big stepup from what we saw previously. Increased art quality all over the board.

[the inclusion of +18 pack also is a very welcome, it adds to VN nature of the project. Handshake, Gentelmen.]

One could think that FS2 engine isn't suited to this kind of abuse. And look at that. Absolutely revolutionary. They got it to work and I haven't crashed A SINGLE TIME.

Given that Axem was on the team, I expected cinematics to be little more dynamic and frequent.(We all seen what this devil is capable of already. He works magic with cinematic events) That wasn't the case but the current cinematics are still on a high level.

While i suffered few technical issues, they weren't serious enough for me to care.
(Like some bullets just going through ship models, or the new control scheme not being applied, but I believe thats because I used an existing pilot account).
That didn't influence my flow one bit. I honestly can't remember any other.

Missions? Dynamic, fast paced, and with purpose. There was a lot going on the screen, and player always had a slice of it. Missions helps story building tremendously and there is never a mission which feels out of place, or you never think... "Why I am doing this?"

I also think that the approach to wing command and AI orders is a welcome addition. You can focus more on actually shooting hostiles, and not sitting back barking orders at escadre of fighters.

Combat in WoD only seen improvement. Damage split is a very nice thing to do. It gives you a lot more weapon options, and a lot of planning. You always have to remember who you are going to shoot and prepare accordingly.

Overall, Technological, Story Telling and Art Direction are obviously superior to past projects, and I am waiting with anticipation, what will come next. I enjoyed my whole time with WoD, and regret nothing.

Its a very good and likeable VN game.

P.S. All hail our Cyrvan overlords!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version