Author Topic: .sdr file question and Lighting Issues again  (Read 11476 times)

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Re: .sdr file question and Lighting Issues again
Thanks, Taylor.

Well, I've updated and fixed Texturing in Wiki. There were several places with wrong info about env because of my "un-knowledge".

Please, somebody check that everything is fine now.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Nicely done, ARSPR.

Careful, though. May have to change your "Title" to "Preys on Mantis, Stalks on Wiki" :D

No?

"Crouching Mantis, Hidden Wiki"?  :nervous:

;7
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
okay... very specific question time... which shaders are used when the model is viewed with no diffuse, no glowmap, no specular, no normal, no env map flags in the ship lab?

(in other words, when only light is applied to the ships bare polygons...)
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
okay... very specific question time... which shaders are used when the model is viewed with no diffuse, no glowmap, no specular, no normal, no env map flags in the ship lab?

l-v & null-f

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis

l-v & null-f
Wikified.

And then it makes me asking another question. If null-f uses l-v, when would null-v be used?

I think that I don't really understand the difference between null and l  :confused: :confused:. My answer for pecenipicek question would have been l-v and l-f.

Could you explain me the difference between null and l, please?

EDITED...

I've checked in mv_core that there's no l-f shader. So although my previous post is more or less fine, now I think that:

• There's no l-f shader because, if lighting is enabled over texture effects, you need to use at least one effect. So l*-f always need something (b, g, s, whatever). There's no point in a lonely l-f shader.
  • If null-f uses l-v, when would null-v be used? (I've verified that it exist in mv_core.vp)
  • OTOH, there are also b-v, b-f, bg-v, bg-f shaders. Where are they used?
Please, could someone explain it?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 08:26:18 am by ARSPR »
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
"null" is empty, so null-v is no special vertex effects like lighting or mapping, and null-f is no maps in use.  So in the lab, if you turn off all maps and leave lighting enabled, then it would use l-v (for lighting support) and null-f (since there aren't any maps).  If you turn off lighting and enable at least one map then it would use b-v and b-f (or bg-f if there is a glowmap).  The b-v/b-f/bg-f shaders are really just used for the models shown in the hud target box.

And bg-v is just a packaging mistake, it's not used by the code.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Wikified again in http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/OpenGL_Shaders_(GLSL). Please check. I think this is the last time  :nervous: :nervous:

And bg-v is just a packaging mistake, it's not used by the code.
Made one minor correction: The coded number of supported shaders (ATM) is 66, not 67. The MediaVP shaders currently have a miscellaneous orphan file.

I suppose I've "found" the extra file  :D :D

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I added a listing of the V to F shader sets.

Extrapolated from the Log in addition to the code in gropenglshader.cpp.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys