Author Topic: Problems  (Read 9020 times)

Offline Aadarsh

• 2-∞ - User does not compute
GTI has figured out they've got a mole.  They've disconnected that old communications node and they're doing random security audits of personnel.  The good news is that it looks like tracing the access points is proving as tough for them as it was for me.  The bad news is that they're running an even tighter ship than before.  What's-his-name has been transferred, so I don't think I'll be getting anything more out of him.

I've been hearing rumors that the GTI has been conducting war game exercises where they raid a convoy and make it look like the Shivans did it.  There's definitely a precedent for deception in strategic operations, but a false flag operation is bad news.  If that's true, and if the GTI intends to take after their alleged worst enemy, then we're all in deep trouble.

I think I'm in over my head here, and I don't know how much longer I'll be able to get away with sending these transmissions.  The GTI needs to be exposed, but I'm fooling myself if I think I have the means to do it.

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
:lol: according to the warning i got when typing this, im carrying out some serious necrothreadage, so
:necro:

Nice to hear that your still ahead of the opposition. Hope you get out safe.

I was wondering why he haddent posted yet.

Transfered? I've watched enough exiles to know that Aadarsh's informant was probably murdered
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 05:14:33 pm by terran_emperor »
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Quote from: Aadarsh link=topic=58069.msg1171858#msg1171858 date=-1357608347
I've been hearing rumors that the GTI has been conducting war game exercises where they raid a convoy and make it look like the Shivans did it.  There's definitely a precedent for deception in strategic operations, but a false flag operation is bad news.  If that's true, and if the GTI intends to take after their alleged worst enemy, then we're all in deep trouble.

Does that have anything to do with the first message that Mongoose found accessing Isaac Stone's account on the Holonet? :confused:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline MikeRoz

They've disconnected that old communications node
Who drunk dialed Goober?
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

Offline Nuclear1

Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
They've disconnected that old communications node
Who drunk dialed Goober?
I feel like we should suspect people with certain custom titles. :p

Does that have anything to do with the first message that Mongoose found accessing Isaac Stone's account on the Holonet? :confused:
No, I think the first message referred to some sort of mission into the decaying Delta Serpentis/Sol node itself by a GTI science vessel before it totally collapsed.  Not only did they confirm that the link was broken, but they also managed to recover actual systems from the wreckage of the Lucifer.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Who drunk dialed Goober?
I feel like we should suspect people with certain custom titles. :p

Ah ah ah! I SEE WHAT YOU'RE DOING THERE. ;7

No, I think the first message referred to some sort of mission into the decaying Delta Serpentis/Sol node itself by a GTI science vessel before it totally collapsed.  Not only did they confirm that the link was broken, but they also managed to recover actual systems from the wreckage of the Lucifer.

How could a science vessel travel through the node? I thought that an explosion in the node will cause immediate and complete destruction.

The debris part I get. They met the Lucifer's other half...assuming that they could travel through the collapsed node in the first place...
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Think Derelict

Offline terran_emperor

• Kane Live in Death
As i understand it, subspace corridors can be travelled as long as the nodes exist and the coridoor itself is stable. If the corridor is too unstable then it can't be travelled. but the million pound question is what happens to the corridor if one of the node colapses?

I can think of 3 possibilities
1) Without a secure anchor point at both ends, the corridor becomes too unstable to travel
2) THe corridor remains intact, and can be travelled to the exit point. It is just impossible to exit at the collapsed node.
-> D_Sperpentis-Sol Node. The Sol-side node is destroyed. It is still possible to travel into and along to corridor to the Sol end, but Ships can't pass through the doorway to Sol. However, the longer it is unconnected, the more unstable it becomes
3) The corridor detaches from the collapsed node and "flails" around wildly, eventually anchoring itself when as it hits another unconnected node. When "flailing" the corridor remains too unstable to travel.

1) is the most likely the canon answer, based on how we know the knossos works. But that just raises more questions about how the Knossos does it's job - i mean wouldn't it make more sense to have the Gate around the collapsed node? (in this case the Sol-side node)

2) Is possible,

3) Is sheer speculation. Almost nothing in canon to support it, but nothing to completly disprove it. Actually thats an interesting twist for a MOD...Travelling the universe, till you find a corridor that connects to Sol
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 11:36:48 am by terran_emperor »

TRUE SHIVAN

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Your second option would still allow for the Capella blockade to be effective, but I agree with you that the first option is the most likely, especially based on what the FS2 command briefing animations depicting the Bastion's mission showed.  In this case, we know that the node becomes completely too unstable for travel in short order, as it was at the time of FS2, but that doesn't mean that the process was necessarily instantaneous after the Lucifer was destroyed.  Based on the Valhalla's message, it seems as though there was at least some timeframe during which your second scenario would have applied; it was able to get into the subspace corridor, but not to break through to Sol.  Also note that the Valhalla only achieved this "with considerable difficulty," and that the corridor was becoming "increasingly unstable," so I'm guessing it didn't take long before the corridor became completely impassable.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Now that I come to think of it, perhaps :v: likened a subspace corridor to string. When both sides are secure, the string is taut and travelling along it is stable, but if one side breaks, the corridor can still be accessible from the other side, but there will be a lot of bumps.
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
The Bastion's explosion was much more powerfull, as it was a capital ship with meson bombs exploding, not just a capital ship like the Lucifer. So the Bastion's detonation had a much bigger effect on the node than the Lucifer did, so I think it's safe to assume that STR is trying to say that the Sol-Delta Serpentis node was still alive. Getting weaker, but still worked. That's how the messages of victory against the Lucifer got sent. However, the node became unpassable in Sol's side very quickly.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The Bastion's explosion was much more powerfull, as it was a capital ship with meson bombs exploding, not just a capital ship like the Lucifer. So the Bastion's detonation had a much bigger effect on the node than the Lucifer did, so I think it's safe to assume that STR is trying to say that the Sol-Delta Serpentis node was still alive. Getting weaker, but still worked. That's how the messages of victory against the Lucifer got sent. However, the node became unpassable in Sol's side very quickly.
I don't think there's any hard evidence to state which ship's destruction produced a more powerful explosion.  While the Bastion and Nereid were packed with meson warheads, the Lucifer was a much larger ship to begin with, and had multiple reactors going critical to boot.  I'd imagine that the GTVA rigged the Bastion and Nereid to produce an explosion of similar magnitude to the Lucifer's.

And from that Valhalla message, it seems that, although the corridor is decidedly severed on the Sol side, it's quickly achieving the same state on the Delta Serpentis side.  (The same message stated that the two apocryphal nodes from Beta Aquilae and Deneb were already completely severed.)  The command briefing animation in FS2 detailing the Bastion's mission showed the end at which it was detonated instantly severing, while the rest of the line "squiggled" into nothingness afterwards.  It's obviously just a simple visual representation, but it could be a decent metaphor for what actually happens.

Offline terran_emperor

• Kane Live in Death
The fact that it is the Sol end of the corridor that is severed raises questions about how the Knossos actually works. My understanding of it is that it stabilises the collapsed/severed/unstable node. If that is the case then it makes more sence to have the Sol-Gate (knossos built to allow access to Sol) on the Sol side of the corridor.

This is based on my understanding of FS subspace; you have Two Subpace Nodes in different systems and the Subspace Corridor which connects the two nodes...

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP Brit

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'd assume that the Knossos stabilizes the entire corridor, not just one end of it.  Both of the portals we enter in FS2 don't have corresponding portals on the other side of the corridor, so they seem to get the job done by themselves.  I feel like subspace nodes can generally be viewed as simply the exits to the corridor between the two systems, much like either end of a highway tunnel; they don't really represent distinct entities on their own separate from the corridor they're a part of.  The Valhalla's situation seems to represent a special case that would be akin to one end of a highway tunnel collapsing, with the rest unstable and on the verge of collapse.  You can still drive through the tunnel, but it won't do you any good, and it's likely to fall on your head at any moment.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
What I think is that the Knossos need only be on one side of the corridor to stabilise the whole corridor. It's like shoving a metal tube into a cloth one.
My blog

MP-Ryan

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Well there are no more clues in that post that io can see, We've got Data (transcribed thanks to Mongoose) which puts the Lucifer in the assembled, but buggy phase of near completion, and the GTI have started targeting convoys now...   Does anyone remember Mission one of Silent Threat  ;7

I think it's nearly time..

And no.... It wasn't me calling Goobernet-2335 :lol:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins
Well there are no more clues in that post that io can see, We've got Data (transcribed thanks to Mongoose) which puts the Lucifer in the assembled, but buggy phase of near completion, and the GTI have started targeting convoys now...   Does anyone remember Mission one of Silent Threat  ;7

You mean Hades, right?

Anyway, Aadarsh's post was rather...sparse this time around. I hope next week bring something a little more filling.

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Offline Vip

Well, he is being traced by the GTI. His source is away. I'm not surprised he doesn't have the time to write anything more conclusive :P
Lieutenant Commander Richard "Viper" Pred

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
@ Rick James

Yeah *sheepish* i meant hades :nervous:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png