Author Topic: Rescheduling  (Read 13457 times)

Offline Aadarsh

• 2-∞ - User does not compute
I'm supposed to be lying low after that last snafu, but I found something that's too tempting not to send out.  It's a personnel log made last week by Andreas Rybak himself, and I caught it just before it was about to be archived.  I forced a timestamp reset, so even though it's still sitting in the unarchived section, with any luck it won't actually be archived for another week.

Access the holonet by hand and navigate to the logs -> personnel -> unarchived location.  The file is in the standard lastname.firstname.yyyy.mm.dd.hh.mm.ss format.  The file's timestamp should be exactly one hour before the timestamp of this transmission.

Yeesh.  I guess that weird date thing may not have been a red herring after all.  How would the HLP forum process a message date from several centuries in the future?
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Unless someone's been holding out another username and password from us, this looks like it depends on information we haven't figured out yet, since Isaac's login still generates the defunct audio-only prompt.  (Speaking of which, this Rybak guy was mentioned in the second audio message, the one presumably about the Sekhmet.)  That half-translated Vasudan message has to be the key; it mentioned something about Goober5000 and Sectorgame, so maybe if we can figure out what it's trying to say, we'll get another login and finally be able to access the Holonet properly.

Offline Nuclear1

Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline MikeRoz

That half-translated Vasudan message has to be the key
Unrelated.
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

Offline MikeRoz

I'm fairly sure the string we want is rybak.andreas.2335.04.22.03.42.17, since Aadarsh posted at 04:42:17 04/22/2335.

The question is where to put it?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 11:56:16 pm by MikeRoz »
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor

Offline Nuclear1

http://holonet.hard-light.net/logs/personnel/unarchived/(string)?

It would make sense since we're being advised to access it "by hand", and not simply by clicking on the webpage.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline MikeRoz

aargh
(1:05:44 AM) Goober5000: mwahahaha, you're close but not close enough

Offline faxi

• Half a myriad of GUUBERs...
(1:05:44 AM) Goober5000: mwahahaha, you're close but not close enough

wow. Actually, you people were damn close.
The following link yields at least sort of something...
  http://holonet.hard-light.net/logs/personnel/unarchived/rybak.andreas.2335.04.22.03.42.17

Seems like we need to play around with names and dates.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
i found it, someone forgot to take into account Aadarsh's post timestamp needs to be converted to GMT

nice little download there ...
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Vip

Hmmm, can't seem to get the right date, and brute forcing it isn't really a very exciting solution. Anybody, help ?
Lieutenant Commander Richard "Viper" Pred

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Aadarsh's post time is 12/31/1926 22:17:29 EST.
In GMT, his post is at 1/1/1927 03:17:29.
In GMT, one hour before his post is 1/1/1927 02:17:29
Using this tool (http://www.csgnetwork.com/time2unixdscalc.html), you can find the reset time.
To compensate for integer rollover because of the long time in the "future" this was posted, you need to add 3*(2^32) to the above value to get the actual time.
Put the result into this tool (http://www.csgnetwork.com/unixds2timecalc.html) to get the real time the value was recorded
Use the date time result and the person's name to get the filename
Download
???
Profit.
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
No idea exactly why everything that you just said works, and it didn't help that the lack of significant figures on my calculator meant that the seconds came out wrong the first time around, but I seem to have profited.  Thanks for the tip.

(I swear, there has to be one of these puzzles that doesn't require a degree in nerdology to solve. :p)

Edit:  No, wait...I've profited, but I can't seem to enjoy the profit.  Just what is this thing?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 04:24:54 pm by Mongoose »

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Video. VLC can't play it. Play it on Windows Media Player. You'll see the definition of awesome in it.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Ah, thanks.  Those were the next set of file types I was going to try, based on the size.

Oh wow... :D

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
12/31/1969  :wtf:

Oh

4/22/2335 sounds better
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 05:04:16 pm by Mars »

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
THANK THE LORD

the walk through was still hard for me.  :rolleyes: I guess I'm just special  :doubt:

Why do they use Indeo in that day and age, they should be using DivX at least

Finally manged to watch it, n1 oh myriad of Guubers :yes2::yes:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 05:21:55 pm by Mars »

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
i think goober chose indeo because it doesn't come with vista.  i dunno about linux either.
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline MikeRoz

Aadarsh's post time is 12/31/1926 22:17:29 EST.
In GMT, his post is at 1/1/1927 03:17:29.
Oh snap.

I forgot that the timestamp was PM.

I figured it was a timezone issue and tried +/- several hours in each direction. Guess I needed to do 12 +/- several hours in each direction, and I would have had it...

edit: Yep, my original post was off by 18 hours. I'm sure I tried at least +/- 12. Missed it by that much!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 06:40:19 pm by MikeRoz »

Offline Annorax

• Wistful General
    • Steam
Got it. Holy ****... the only thing it's missing is another link and/or a release date.