Author Topic: Campaign is not very smart.  (Read 20424 times)

Campaign is not very smart.
I played the FS2 campaign for the second time, and when was at the mission where you got to scan the sathanas and possibly take out one of its turrets, I took out one of the forward turrets. When I got to the mission where you have to destroy atleast 2 SJ beam cannons, I destroyed all of them... (Well, I did twice, but the first time I tried I was killed by the Sathanas jumping out... No LT Cmdr. Snipes there), and after disabling and destroying the destroyer who came after, I got to high noon.

Command: MORE FIREPOWER Collusus!
COllusus: Secondary and Tertiary reactors are down! We are giving it all we got!
LT. Joshua: Collusus! I destroyed all forward beam cannons! This ship poses no threat to you! Stop wasting your reactors!

they didnt listen... and the command briefing that came after it I was told that the collussus sustained hull damage and it would take months to repair... How deadly are comm signals?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: Campaign is not very smart.
Would you rather have an empty mission where you just watch the thing blow up the Sath with no messages?

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
hi,
no he mean that the mission ist not really smart.
if there two or one sathanas beam left, ok, then i can understand the messages.
but if you can get all of the beams out and destory all of the fighters, why to the hell the fire like the hell and damage the energy-system.
and the other things, where to the hell get the they the damage on the hull?
the colly start with 100% and the video say 80%, but there was no damage?

marketing for more tax :D?

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I always like to say that Command were worried that the Sathanas could jump out, repair it's cannons and then come back again. The mission makes so much more sense if you assume that was the danger of not overloading the cannons.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I also said the campaign....

Anyway, Karajorma, your theory makes sense, I played the mission again and saw that the Sathanas was on a collission course with the COllusus...

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Colission?

Havn't noticed that. After I declaw the Sath the Collie jsut parks above it and shoots.

This mission would be a good place to use the is-previous-event-true/false SEXP's and set the ship strength and messages accordingly.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Well my High Noon II is the High Noon of your dreams!

The beam cannons of the Sathanas aren't supposed to be destroyed when the Colossus CO sends that message. The problem is that the mission was simple. The Colossus has orders to attack the Sathanas and nothing more, no waypoints for it.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
I always like to say that Command were worried that the Sathanas could jump out, repair it's cannons and then come back again. The mission makes so much more sense if you assume that was the danger of not overloading the cannons.

hi,
mhh i dont think so.
if they really want to jump out they had enaugh time for that.
and i dont think that a ship of that size can had realy hide in capella system, with so many ships and traffic.
and the collossos / command had track it and jump after the sathanas.

to the collission course: yes, but so slow the sathanas fly, its was enough time to destroyed, imho, without overload the weapons and reactors.

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
The Sathanas is almost 6,000 meters long. Even starting at cruising speed, it will take well over 6000 meters to jump out. I think this will illustrate my point... copy over High Noon and give it orders to jump out 10 seconds after it sustains >1% hull damage. It'll probably collide with the Big C.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Well the Colossus moves to the Sathanas side so there's no risk of collision once the Colossus has started its meneuver.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
if they really want to jump out they had enaugh time for that.

Depends on how long it takes the Sathanas to recharge it's jump engines. That's a rather fluid concept that was never really addressed in FS2.

and i dont think that a ship of that size can had realy hide in capella system, with so many ships and traffic.

Space is big. People tend to forget that. Astronomers have been searching the skies for as long as there have been Astronomers and yet they managed to miss Eris until 4 years ago even though it's 1200km in size. A 6km sathanas is likely to be much easier to miss, especially as distance from Capella increases.

and the collossos / command had track it and jump after the sathanas.

Ah but we know for a fact that the Shivans have better subspace engines than the GTVA. What if that means they can jump further out from the centre of the gravity well? It could be that the GTVA would know damn well exactly where the Sathanas was but be unable to do a thing about it becuase it was so far out that they couldn't touch it. :)

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
This is why one should never play below hard difficulty  ;)

Space is big. People tend to forget that. Astronomers have been searching the skies for as long as there have been Astronomers and yet they managed to miss Eris until 4 years ago even though it's 1200km in size. A 6km sathanas is likely to be much easier to miss, especially as distance from Capella increases.

Whilst this is very true don't ships emit signals that can easily be picked up? (Radio Telescopes) Isn't it possible that, not only would every Allied ship in Capella be searching for such a signal, the technology is far more superior to what we have know?

Personally i couldn't care but there we have it: My two cents :D
SCP is the greatest cause of Inferiority Complexes in those that can't run it

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
I also said the campaign....

Anyway, Karajorma, your theory makes sense, I played the mission again and saw that the Sathanas was on a collission course with the COllusus...

The Sathanas is also quite fast for a ship of that size.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Whilst this is very true don't ships emit signals that can easily be picked up? (Radio Telescopes) Isn't it possible that, not only would every Allied ship in Capella be searching for such a signal, the technology is far more superior to what we have know?

If it were that easy to pick up a warship you'd have to question how Bosch managed to conceal the Iceni inside an asteroid without anyone detecting it straight away.

Again we get back to the fact that space is big and that even if the ships in question are giving out a signal after an hour at the speed of light there won't be much of it left unless the ship is actively transmitting something.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Long-Range sensors never seem to pick up things. In ST, it was said there were 2 Aten cruisers though when you begin the mission there are actually 4.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
So? It was ST, a pretty old campaign.

Also, in the main FS2 campaign, a 107th pilot says that there were two freighters in system a moment before the Maul jumped in.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Most likely an inconsistency.

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
The Sathanas is almost 6,000 meters long. Even starting at cruising speed, it will take well over 6000 meters to jump out. I think this will illustrate my point... copy over High Noon and give it orders to jump out 10 seconds after it sustains >1% hull damage. It'll probably collide with the Big C.

hi,
ok dont know that, i had think they can faster jump out.

nope, i didnt forget that, but capella is to this time really high traffic, much more military is there on the route as normaly.
the other thing is that so a big ship do have more problems with high gravity as a cruiser, so maybe theres isnt a way to hide inside a gas giant (yeah i know in the end-video the sahtanas was really close to the capella sun but maybe there had can so close, why the sub-space effect field close some of the garavity in the sun and so blow it up).
and she is slower as a normal cruiser / capital ship.

and the GTVA hadnt so much primitiv sensors like we today and only 4% of our sky are observed by telecopes, today.
i think we cant really compare our potentiality to observed our sun system with the potentiality to observed a sun system for the GTVA and, as far i can me remember, command say reallv often if any enemy ship jump in.

i will not say that its not possible but i think its for the sathanas not so easy to run away in capella its self.

Ah but we know for a fact that the Shivans have better subspace engines than the GTVA. What if that means they can jump further out from the centre of the gravity well? It could be that the GTVA would know damn well exactly where the Sathanas was but be unable to do a thing about it becuase it was so far out that they couldn't touch it. :)

maybe and a good point.

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
If it were that easy to pick up a warship you'd have to question how Bosch managed to conceal the Iceni inside an asteroid without anyone detecting it straight away.

Again we get back to the fact that space is big and that even if the ships in question are giving out a signal after an hour at the speed of light there won't be much of it left unless the ship is actively transmitting something.

The GTVA almost certainly has some kind of faster-than-light active sensor system as standard, but if not the AWACS has it at least ("tachyon-enabled"). Still, if you EMCON and go somewhere waaaay off the plane of the ecliptic you'll probably be fairly safe. But that also keeps you from doing much.

It also assumes that entering and exiting subspace doesn't throw out signals such a FTL sensor could detect. Which it probably does, involving extradimensional weirdness.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story