Author Topic: Post Capella, would another Colossus be built?  (Read 64566 times)

Offline Kie99

Post Capella, would another Colossus be built?
What do you reckon?  Would the GTVA concentrate its resources into making more destroyers and corvettes, or an improved Colossus design, bearing in mind that it would take significantly less than 20 years to build another one.  The Colossus was a success at what it was designed for, crushing rebellions and eliminating destroyers, and any attempt to emulate the Sathanas would fall woefully short with the GTVA's tech level.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Re: Post Capella, would another Colossus be built?
You would think that they would, but it would look abit different.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Depends on how much infrastructure was left after the first was built, and whether or not they had others in development at  the time of Capella.  If the yards were already specifically built to produce Colossi and it would be difficult to retool them then i would wager they might continue, though they might improve them with experience.  Especially if they continued to build them after the 1st slid out the yards.  On the other hand the GTVA would have been hurting at the end of Capella and the need for lighter classes probably was drastic.  The need for Destroyers Corvettes and Cruisers t protect GTVA space could definetly put the prospect of another Super Capital ship on the shelf.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
  • doesent care about canon
NO.

they would build smaller ships with more turrets, since turrets come cheap and they would have more powerful ships.

Burn the sucker out of the sky!
EAT PHOTONS INFIDEL! MAY THE HEAT OF A THOUSAND SUNS CONSUME YOU! :mad2:

snail gives a debriefing: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48825.msg991954.html#msg991954

Offline Kie99

I think that in order to combat the Shivan threat, the GTVA would keep a Destroyer filled with Meson Bombs in every system, and if Shivans attack, destroy the jump node ASAP.  This would be the only reasonable strategy to stop the Shivans annihilating the GTVA.  Rebellion and the like would be what GTVA ships would be designed to fight.

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
shivans can use unstable jump nodes, remember? the sathanas got through without a knossos, so why cant more shivans get through? you'd want many powerful ships that require minimal crew (and perhaps even automated ships, or atleast turrets). and they would probably replace blob turrets with something better (FL style ion cannons, fighter weapons, more beams). the fs2 fleet was, after all, the fs1 fleet with streamlining and beams.

snail gives a debriefing: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48825.msg991954.html#msg991954

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
The Reason that the FS2 ships have little guns is because they have powerful weapons that Require alot of energy.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
one 4th of the collosuss's turrets are beams (counting AAAs), and only 7 (2-5 of which are AAAs) of those ever face the enemy at one time.

and who says these weapons would be powerful on their own? im talking in the category of Kaysers and Maxims.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
IMHO its a no go for another Colossus. The GTVA should focus instead in rebuilding its fleet and, instead of Juggernauts, they should build super-destroyers.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
shivans can use unstable jump nodes, remember? the sathanas got through without a knossos, so why cant more shivans get through?

1. AFAIK, the node stablised...

2. We're talking about COMMAND here...in other words, think of hte worst possible strategy do deal with Capella and there's a 99% chance that's what the GTVA would do....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Why? whats wrong with the Use Alpha 1 (tm) tactic?

Offline Kie99

shivans can use unstable jump nodes, remember? the sathanas got through without a knossos, so why cant more shivans get through? you'd want many powerful ships that require minimal crew (and perhaps even automated ships, or atleast turrets). and they would probably replace blob turrets with something better (FL style ion cannons, fighter weapons, more beams). the fs2 fleet was, after all, the fs1 fleet with streamlining and beams.

As far as we know, they can't get through jump nodes that have been destroyed by having a big explosion in them.  That's why the GTVA tried to seal of Capella.

IMHO its a no go for another Colossus. The GTVA should focus instead in rebuilding its fleet and, instead of Juggernauts, they should build super-destroyers.

Building superdestroyers would require design phases, testing, prototyping, for the Colossus that has already been done.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
In short no.

The Colossus took 20 years to build and was probably extraordinarily expensive. I don't think the GTVA would try to fight in the same way as the Shivans who obviously outnumber the GTVA considerabley. Taking another 15 years and who knows how much money to build something that was destroyed in minutes would probably not go over well.

Rather I think that specialized ships will appear, not sure what kind. Maybe something like the BWO's Golgotha, destroyers with some sort of Sathanas resistant armor and sexy unitasking beam, some type of meson-bomb equipped bomber.

Offline Elukka

Why would they build more huge, non-maneuverable ships? I think they'd concentrate on more maneuverable capital ships and fighters/bombers now, considering Shivans have those nasty beam cannons, especially on Sathani. Juggernauts and superdestroyers are especially easy prey for them.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Just build 30 more Orions.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Just make the Hecate worthwhile by giving it subsystem armor and a nice powerful cannon up front, build a better heavy bomber, and mass produce both of them shamelessly

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Would the GTVA concentrate its resources into making more destroyers and corvettes, or an improved Colossus design, bearing in mind that it would take significantly less than 20 years to build another one.

The Colossus took 20 years to build and was probably extraordinarily expensive. I don't think the GTVA would try to fight in the same way as the Shivans who obviously outnumber the GTVA considerabley. Taking another 15 years and who knows how much money to build something that was destroyed in minutes would probably not go over well.

The first Colossus was a top secret project, that's why it needed 20 years to complete. All GTVA citizens and most members of the military knew nothing about its existance.

Try to imagine a debate at the General Assembly...

"These guys want to know why all their money wasn't used to build up a destroyer"

The construction of the Colossus must have proceeded slowly. The second Colossus would be constructed in about 10 years or less, since every single GTVA citizen would be called to help.

Try to imagine a Post-Capella GTVA, where even civilians know the importance of having a powerful fleet. People would donate their money to contruct a second Colossus!
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
That would be called Strategic Defense Endeavor (SDE). This would mean that taxes would rise, and people would be forced to pay more. All their money would go from welfare and free medical treatment to building more Colossi. What happens? Crime rates and general unhappiness in the fringe systems, such as Procyon, go up, leading to a huge rebellion called the Procyon Confederate Autonomy.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Keep in mind that the Reconstruction era GTVA suffered problems of integrity. It is probable that those problems were caused by taxes.

But everything should be different for the second Colossus. All citizens should know that a warship like that is necessary.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Sarafan

• No Title

Building superdestroyers would require design phases, testing, prototyping, for the Colossus that has already been done.

A SD would be far less costly than a Juggernaut and much faster to build, and any new ship requires design phases, testing, prototyping. To make a SD, the GTVA simply needs to downsize a Jug/build a bigger destroyer.

The first Colossus was a top secret project, that's why it needed 20 years to complete. All GTVA citizens and most members of the military knew nothing about its existance.

Try to imagine a debate at the General Assembly...

"These guys want to know why all their money wasn't used to build up a destroyer"

The construction of the Colossus must have proceeded slowly. The second Colossus would be constructed in about 10 years or less, since every single GTVA citizen would be called to help.

Try to imagine a Post-Capella GTVA, where even civilians know the importance of having a powerful fleet. People would donate their money to contruct a second Colossus!

What money? The GTVA just lost a important economic system and the whole fleet, they're in for a serious economic hardship after Capella, and nobody is going to give their money so the GTVA can build warships and go chase shivans.