Author Topic: [RELEASE] Diaspora: Shattered Armistice v1.0 (Windows, Mac & Linux)  (Read 856141 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Re: [RELEASE] Diaspora: Shattered Armistice
Played this a couple days ago. Well done.

Spoiler:
I especially liked the call from Galactica at the end. Damn, that Battlestar had really poor timing thanks to the Tylium problems.

That being said, I did sense the pattern of copying situations from the show and correctly predicted the Bolitho ramming the Basestar. I expected it to do more damage though, since the Pegasus' landing pod was able to tear up a Basestar. :p

Voice acting was generally well-done. There did seem to be a long pause at the start of every briefing that seemed odd though.

AI was well-done too. I didn't feel like you were Master of the Universe aka Alpha 1, but I still felt like what you did had an impact. The wingmen's default goals seemed pretty well-done, so I generally did not give them specific orders. I think the only mission that I really tried that on was the one where you disable the turrets on the Basestar.

Missiles were well-balanced, as was gun ammo. I ran out on the last mission, so I had to start conserving it rather than indiscriminately firing whenever my reticle got close to the fighter I was targeting. Earlier missions I didn't have to bother.

If I could change one thing, I think I would add a bit more plot. I played through it kinda fast, but I felt like there was more opportunity to distinguish your wingmen than was exercised.

I did have a lot of trouble with the game crashing because I initially missed the patch link in the release thread. Besides getting the torrent patched, some kind of notification in the launcher would be a really good idea. I only found the patch because I started looking in the right places on the forums, which somebody who got the game would not necessarily know to do.
-C

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The launcher should have a link to Patch 1.0.2 already. There are still some issues with Patch 1.0.3 so I'll probably only roll out an official update for patch 1.0.4.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Just finished. 

Amazing work, guys.  I enjoyed this more than any space sim I've played in a long, long time.

I really hope you expand on this.  Add more missions. 

You should look into making your own game and putting it on Kickstarter.  I would gladly send money your way for something of Diaspora's quality. 

Offline Echelon9

You should look into making your own game and putting it on Kickstarter.  I would gladly send money your way for something of Diaspora's quality.
Not going to happen. Won't be raising any money.

Having said that, this game (already released!) is for the fans. And there's more in the pipeline.

I am not much of a forum guy, but I had to register to post about this mod.  Fantastic work!  You guys did a great job capturing the atmosphere of the TV show, which is impressive in itself, but it also plays almost unbelievably well.

Offline tarasis

What are your Systemspecs?

Sorry for the delay, I uninstalled the game for space reasons. Just installed it again on the off change it was me running it in Debug mode. My specs are:

13" Mid 2009 MacBook Pro
2.53GHz C2D
8GB Ram (3 GB in use in XP)
Win XP in Bootcamp
Nvidia 9400M (256MB - 512MB) @ 1280x800
512GB Samsung 830 SSD

Running with 1.0.4, def with release build and not Debug.

Medium to Very High runs at 12FPS
Low (turned FXAA off) 20FPS

FS2 (3.6.14)

(C:\games\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_3_6_14.exe -mod MediaVPs_3612 -spec -glow -env -mipmap -missile_lighting -normal -3dshockwave -no_vsync -targetinfo -orbradar -rearm_timer -ship_choice_3d -weapon_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload  -ambient_factor 35 -ogl_spec 20 -spec_exp 15 -spec_point 1.2 -spec_static 1.5 -spec_tube 1.5)

Into The Lions Den runs at 80ish FPS (down to 50 when I died and had the cinematic mode)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
at a guess the M on the Nvidia 9400M means it is a mobile edition which would make it under powered compared to its equivalent full blooded card.  now FS2 and Even BP is not even close to Diaspora on graphical load due to how detailed the models are, for example I can get playable frame rates out of BP:WiH but Diaspora just melts my PC with it's GF 6600 GT.  Try ramming all the detail levels down as far as they will go both in the launcher and in the game and see what happens, if it is playable then think about turning options up/on until you find the balance between looks and playability.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I can get playable frame rates out of BP:WiH but Diaspora just melts my PC with it's GF 6600 GT.
You might have to revise that statement with WiH2 :p
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Even BP is not even close to Diaspora on graphical load due to how detailed the models are,

lolno

BP is, in fact, worse than Diaspora in some situations (Delenda Est comes to mind). Which is due to the fact that BP models in general are poorly optimized; The Rheza Station, Sanctus, Titan, even the new Karuna model, they're all far worse ressource hogs than most models in Diaspora.

Diaspora has only one really big ressource hog, the Theseus itself, and you'll never see more than one of those in a mission.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Also, Diaspora has a lot more minimalistic design. It doesn't use a lot of capships, and the projectile visuals are rather subdued. BP, on the other hand, is bristling with particles, fire, big ships and flashy hi-res bitmaps. If you open up Diaspora effect VP, you'll see that there's very little in there, same goes for textures. BP, on the other hand, uses the entire Mediavps package, then adds about as much new content on top of that. There's no reason for BP to run faster than Diaspora unless you're using a cutting edge engine build for the former, and what came with it for the latter.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
tarasis, can you post a debug log?  Directions are in my signature.

Offline Echelon9

My specs are:

13" Mid 2009 MacBook Pro
2.53GHz C2D
8GB Ram (3 GB in use in XP)
Win XP in Bootcamp
Nvidia 9400M (256MB - 512MB) @ 1280x800
512GB Samsung 830 SSD

Running with 1.0.4, def with release build and not Debug.

Medium to Very High runs at 12FPS
Low (turned FXAA off) 20FPS

FS2 (3.6.14)

(C:\games\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_3_6_14.exe -mod MediaVPs_3612 -spec -glow -env -mipmap -missile_lighting -normal -3dshockwave -no_vsync -targetinfo -orbradar -rearm_timer -ship_choice_3d -weapon_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload  -ambient_factor 35 -ogl_spec 20 -spec_exp 15 -spec_point 1.2 -spec_static 1.5 -spec_tube 1.5)

Into The Lions Den runs at 80ish FPS (down to 50 when I died and had the cinematic mode)

That's a pretty similar Macbook Pro system to the one I did Diaspora development work on. Sure it's not the fastest out there, but you should be seeing c.20-30 FPS (without FXAA) through most of the first Daispora release.

I'd suggest you check NVidia drivers for updates when booted into Windows XP, and I've assumed that you are actually booting to Windows rather than running virtualised BootCamp using VMWare etc. The other option would be to run the Mac OS X release, and make use of the full 8GB of memory. Diaspora is reasonably memory hungry.

Hey guys, been meaning to download this mod forever. Finally did, and it's mind-blowingly awesome. Captures the feel of the miniseries/season 1 perfectly.

I have a technical question/issue, however:
The AA settings don't seem to be helping in my nVidia control panel. When I play the game with 32x CSAA, I still see a decent amount of unaliased edges. I don't see any AA settings in the main menu. What is the best way to get a well-AA'd experience in the game?

FWIW I don't have FS2 open installed at the moment, but it never had this problem.

basic hardware specs: 2500k 4ghz/gtx 670/16gb ram/windows 7 64-bit
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 10:16:10 am by Insomniac34 »

Offline Valathil

• ...And I would have had a custom title if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
  • Custom Title? Wizards need no Custom Title!
switch on Enable FXAA-Antialiasing in the launcher and add "-fxaa_preset 9" as a custom flag
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃
┃┃┏┫┃┏┳━━┓┏━━┓┃┗━┳━━┳━━┳━━┓
┃┃┣┫┗┛┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┏┓┃┏┓┃━━┫━━┫
┃┗┫┃┏┓┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┗┛┃┗┛┣━━┣━━┃
┗━┻┻┛┗┻━━┛┗┛┗┛┗━━┻━━┻━━┻━━┛

Offline SolCommand

• Time Bandit
    • My free 3D models
Hey there guys. I realized this question might seem a bit retarded but this issue's got me banging my head on the wall, so here it is: how do I invert the mouse controls ? :)  It's been ages since I played freespace so I don't exactly remember if there's more to it than just pressing the "invert" button, which seems to do nothing.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
You're supposed to select the axis you want to invert before pressing that button, IIRC.

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Occasionally people might want to invert a different axis to up/down. Left/right is probably only for the insane but the throttle axis is a possible candidate.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Online Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Thanks to the holidays I finally got around to play this.
Most things have already been said here, and I agree with all the praise you got... you truly created a modding masterpiece here.  :nod:
But let me highlight some points that deserve attention as well:

- The sound effects in the cockpit are just right. The *klunk* when engaging the guns or the engine/afterburner sounds are very close of what we heard in the show. And they have this muffled quality that you would expect to hear in the little atmosphere of the cockpit in a space fighter, where sound would only be transmitted as vibrations of the fighters frame.

- I love the HUD, a very clean minimalistic design that reminded me a little of the TOS target screens :yes:

- DRADIS: I applaud you for implementing this via RTT, it makes the cockpits really come to life. But I must admit that in the end I didn't really use it, since it's less readable than the FS2 radar and usually too cluttered (or the individual symbols are too big). I ended up cycling through targets, identifying them in the target window and using the target direction indicator of the HUD to find my target.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yeah, the DRADIS was unusable but so cool that I was really glad it was there anyway.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
And if you know the very basics of modding it's a 30 sec change to revert to a FS2 radar anyway.