Author Topic: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.3.5  (Read 378619 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.1.5
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=87716.0

User reports selecting 'complete' but looks like they did not get MVPs 3.6.12.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Perhaps it could work with a button to inquiry the internet if all you have is "up to speed"? Most people wouldn't mind some minutes of machine-thinking if that means it can assess correctly what you are missing, what you are not missing, what is corrupted, etc.

For instance, it's glaringly ugly for me to run the application and it implicitly telling me I haven't download the mediavps, but that I did download Sync, when I just downloaded the former months ago and used the app to download the latter.

Hmm.  This is a reasonable thing to add.  I'll look into it.

Yet it seems to take rather long and consume significant amounts of bandwith. Wouldn't putting this information in a seperate .txt file be a lot faster?

It might be faster but it would require the mod maker to keep the text file up to date.  That's an extremely brittle system.  No, it's better to scan from the archive, which is the same place the files will actually be extracted from.  Also, see the next point.

The installer doesn't actually download the files to check the size, it merely checks the size HTTP reports.

This is not quite correct.  For archives, the installer seeks to the archive's table of contents and then examines the sizes listed there.  This requires scanning through the archive over HTTP, so you could think of it as "downloading" even though nothing is extracted and nothing is saved to your computer.

The ideal way to get the contents is not to stream the entire archive but rather seek to the proper position.  But this requires some gymnastics with the HTTP connection that I haven't investigated due to more pressing development needs on the installer.  See this thread on HLP and this thread on the 7zip-JBinding forum where I discussed the problem more extensively. 

Regardless, the issue I first made a report about has been fixed: The FSOpen installer seems to properly recognize that the MVP2014s download has failed, and therefore I don't need to check the re-run installation button to ensure that everything works.
I shall now see if I can get the other files.

Good. :)

User reports selecting 'complete' but looks like they did not get MVPs 3.6.12.

I'll check.  I've responded on the other thread.

Thanks Goober, good answers.
Just one more thing: Could you add a "pause" button?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Err, south the ability to close the installer and come back later if it's not too much trouble. Useful if there's no internet@ home and you have to download in bits here and there on public wifi.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Thanks Goober, good answers.
Just one more thing: Could you add a "pause" button?

Unfortunately, this would be a pretty complex function to implement.  And those HTTP gymnastics I mentioned earlier would be a prerequisite.  I have a large number of other demands on my time so I don't think I'll be doing this.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.1.6
I've uploaded version 2.1.6 with two small changes: an update of the 7zip extraction library and a bit of additional logging of installation results.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Steam users are reporting download failures on MV_Assets (3.6.12 version I believe, not sure) or the entire 3.6.12 MediaVPs. They are (reasonably) giving up on FSO after this. We should fix this ASAP.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
If the root cause is fsmods.net being crushed by downloads, I guess the only option is alternate mirrors, and updating the MVP installer files to list said mirrors.

Are there any website owners putting up their hands to be DoS'd? In a friendly, for a good cause, kinda way?  :nervous:

(Obviously not feasible right now) Some sort of torrent style downloads would probably be the only cheap way to avoid this kinda thing in future.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
What action should users take to correct this error:

"The Basic Installation configuration could not be validated against the current list of mods. This option will not be available"

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
That just means that MVPs cannot be found, which means they won't be included in the Basic selection.  But the Complete and Custom selections will still work.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
If you want quick, server seeded torrents, upload to gameupdates.org

I have used them with great success before.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.1.7
I've uploaded version 2.1.7 with the following changes:
  • Add a prompt to copy an installation from another location to C:\Games\FreeSpace2.  This was recommended in IRC as a solution to the problems with Steam's default install location.
  • Add DEPENDENCIES token for mods that depend on other mods; see the wiki entry for syntax and usage.  The FreeSpace Port MediaVPs mod has already been updated to use this token as it depends on the MediaVPs 3.6.12.
  • Fix an error in downloading InnoExtract on Linux and FreeBSD
  • Fix a small bug when running validate
  • A few more bugfixes

Also, in coordination with achtung and others, additional mirrors have been added for the MediaVPs and several other mods.

The following errors were encountered:

.OGG Cutscenes: The file 'fs2_ogg.zip' could not be downloaded.
Homesick: The file 'homesick.zip' could not be downloaded.
Multiplayer Missions: The file 'multi-mission-pack.zip' could not be downloaded.
Multiplayer Voice Files: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
FreeSpace Port: The file 'fsport3_4.zip' could not be downloaded.
FreeSpace Port: The file 'fsport-missions.zip' could not be downloaded.
1024x768 Interface Art: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
Music: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
Voice Files: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
FreeSpace 1 Cutscenes: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
Command Briefing Animations: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
1024x768 Command Briefing Animations: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
FreeSpace Port Media VPs: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
Remixed Music by Dan Wentz: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
Silent Threat: Reborn: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
Silent Threat: Reborn Voice Pack: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
Awakenings: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
Awakenings Voice Pack: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
Cardinal Spear: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
Cardinal Spear Voice Pack: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
Destiny of Peace: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
Destiny of Peace Voice Pack: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
Derelict: The file 'derelict_core.zip' could not be downloaded.
Derelict Voice Pack: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
Inferno: The file 'inf1.zip' could not be downloaded.
The Procyon Insurgency: The file 'pi103.zip' could not be downloaded.
Shivans: The file 'brshivans.zip' could not be downloaded.
Shrouding the Light: The file 'stl.zip' could not be downloaded.
Twilight: The file 'twilight.zip' could not be downloaded.
Warzone: The file 'warzone.zip' could not be downloaded.

Still got all this with the new version. Not sure if you're still needing to fix these files or what, but I'm going to manual-install the rest.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This is because the servers which are hosting the mod files are being effectively DDOS'd with everybody hitting them at the same time.  I suspect you will find the sites unresponsive if you try to manually download the files as well.

We are continuing to add new mirrors as I speak.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Finally checked out the new version of the installer with dependencies. Win. :yes:
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Good to hear it's not just me. I'll wait around for them to get their houses back in order.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Random thought..

With a working installer likely becoming the norm to install mods, the list of mods to install could get quite long and unwieldy. Have you given any thought to that? I wonder if it would be prudent, while you are working so much on the installer, to create tabs based on release year or some other arbitrary trait. You know, just to beak up the list a bit. Could even do an SCP tab (there's a lot of builds available already), an FSU tab, and then mods based on year or something. Perhaps a misc tab for things like cutscene upgrades, mainhall upgrades... who knows.

It's probably not really all that important right now, but there it is.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It's a good idea... but I've been working so long on the installer that now that it's in a reasonably polished state I'd like to work on other stuff.  In fact, I would have spent this weekend on hosted project requests and 3.7.2 bugfixes were it not for the Steam release.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
FYI - this link looks like it has a spurious '!' in it.

Code: [Select]
2014-06-09 20:18:11,483 [SwingWorker-pool-1289556953-thread-1] ERROR com.fsoinstaller.internet.Downloader - An exception was thrown during download!
java.io.FileNotFoundException: http://lazymodders.fsmods.net/releases/!installer/lazymodders.txt

(i.e. the error is in this file? http://scp.indiegames.us/fsoinstaller/filenames.txt)

Err... I should have checked further, because the link without the '!' doesn't work either.  Maybe it *is* Axem's fault  :lol:

Code: [Select]
$ wget 'http://lazymodders.fsmods.net/releases/installer/lazymodders.txt'
--2014-06-09 20:21:38--  http://lazymodders.fsmods.net/releases/installer/lazymodders.txt
Resolving lazymodders.fsmods.net (lazymodders.fsmods.net)... 69.163.152.93
Connecting to lazymodders.fsmods.net (lazymodders.fsmods.net)|69.163.152.93|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2014-06-09 20:21:38 ERROR 404: Not Found.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Axem

Dreamhost disabled my account (too many downloads I guess!), so my mods are offline at the moment. Achtung was looking into it.