Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > The Modding Workshop

Open world?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Iain Baker:
Probably the closest thing I have seen to this in FreeSpace is Bem Calvagar with its choose your missions mechanic and one of the missions in JAD 2.2 where you can choose which areas to explore. But as the others have said, the FS engine really isn’t designed for that sort of thing.

CMDR Duckenheart:

--- Quote from: ShivanSlayer on January 19, 2022, 03:42:18 pm ---I don't think Freespace would work too well as an open world thing.  If you like open world in a space setting, I suggest playing Freelancer, but it's not on Steam or GOG

--- End quote ---

I found it on abandonwaregames.com, thanks for the tip.

--- Quote from: Iain Baker on January 19, 2022, 03:59:20 pm ---Probably the closest thing I have seen to this in FreeSpace is Bem Calvagar with its choose your missions mechanic and one of the missions in JAD 2.2 where you can choose which areas to explore. But as the others have said, the FS engine really isn’t designed for that sort of thing.

--- End quote ---

I see. Slightly disappointed at this revelation, but undeterred. Still excited to see what I can make. I take it something like procedural generation would be out of FSO's scope as well.

Either way, I guess my main goal is to see how I could make a total conversion game that is replayable or at least allows for unique approaches to levels you've already beaten or something. Do you guys see any other mods that achieve this in other ways?

Strygon:
Procedural Generation is more or less not an option either. Many have tried but none have so far actually brought any results to the table AFAIK.

It depends entirely on what you mean by "unique approaches". Playing through the campaign once normally and once trying to go for all the side content/bonus objectives/etc. is in many mods, even the base campaign sometimes.

CMDR Duckenheart:

--- Quote from: Strygon on January 19, 2022, 05:13:07 pm ---Procedural Generation is more or less not an option either. Many have tried but none have so far actually brought any results to the table AFAIK.

It depends entirely on what you mean by "unique approaches". Playing through the campaign once normally and once trying to go for all the side content/bonus objectives/etc. is in many mods, even the base campaign sometimes.

--- End quote ---

Well, what you just mentioned actually would be one of the things I had in mind. I'm also watching tutorials while I'm on here and I'm starting to get a better feel for the actual scope of these tools. I'll save the RPG elements for a more complete game engine, but I'm still excited to learn how to make my own missions and ships.

Strygon:
Well, in that case, off the top of my head there's:

-The base campaigns. In order to get all the medals you need to perform all objectives (outside of the scripted fails) and a handful of hidden bonus objectives.

-Trimurti: Collect all the Spoons

-Just Another Day, the later ones I think have some side content.

-Wings of Dawn has some optional content as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version