Author Topic: The Timeline  (Read 5651 times)

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
You wanted the timeline for the 14 Year War, you've got it.  Feel free to argue any point.  As I haven't looked at the current setup for the T-V Project recently, I will have to let Goober and the rest make corrections (and then argue about it :)).

Timeline:

2313:   Discovery of Inter-system subspace travel.  Start of the Unification War.

2316:   End of the Unification War.  Galactic Terran Alliance formed.

2319:   September:  First Orion class destroyer, GTD Orion, completed.

2320:   March:  First official contact with the Parliamentary Vasudan Empire.

April:  First diplomatic meeting in Antares.

July:  The XXXX-YYYY Treaty is agreed to by diplomats.  Taken to respective governments.  GTD Gaia completed.

December:  XXXX-YYYY Treaty rejected by legislators on both sides.

2321:   January:  Prince ZZZZ killed during drug gang battle.  Vasudan politicians blame GTA outright.

February:  Diplomats QQQQ and WWWW meet.  Meeting ends in bloodshed.  War declared by both sides the next day.

April:  Vasudans launch raid on Sol system.  Crushed by GTD Gaia and 1st Fleet.

May:  Vasudans begin construction on their own destroyer, the Thanatos class.

September:  First Thanatos, PVD Thanatos, completed.

2322:   November:  GTA officials determine the war will not be short.  Authorizes the    construction of the Leviathan cruiser.

2323:   March:  First Battle of the Vasuda-Antares node.  Marks the first time Terran    warships enter the Vasuda system.  Terrans only managed to hold the node for a week before being driven back.

2324:   June:  Battle of Vega III.  In an attempt to get around the Terran hold on Antares, the PVN launches its first major assault on a Terran system at Vega.  The battle was the bloodiest to date, with the loss of nearly 50,000 on both sides.  The Terrans managed to drive the Vasudans back to Deneb, but didn’t have the strength for a counter-attack.

2326:   August:  The first Savior class destroyer, PVD Savior, come off the lines.  Over the next two years, the Vasudans would completely replace their Thanatos class destroyers with these powerful ships.

October:  First Battle of Antares-Vasuda node.  To show off the new ship, Vasudan Prince UUUU organizes an attack on Antares.  The PVD Savior tears through Terran lines.  The Vasudans gain a powerful foothold in Antares.

November:  Battle of Gulnara.  As the Vasudans poured into the system, the    Terrans launched a massive counter-attack.  Near the Antares IV moon, Gulnara, the Vasudan fleet is beaten back to the node.  This defeat leads GTA command to believe that victory is on the horizon.  Leviathan production is halted, and the GTA initiates a major offensive.

2327:   January:  Realizing the end is coming, the Vasudan parliament “unofficially” moves to Alpha Centauri where it would stay until after the Great War.  The Third Battle of the Vasuda-Antares node happens days later.  Terrans establish a strong foothold in Vasuda.

February:  The last element of the Vasudan navy is forced out of Vasuda.  The    GTA begins building up forces for the invasion of Vasuda Prime.

March:  Battle of Talnia.  In an attempt to avenge the invasion of Vasuda, a    group of Vasudan Admirals, under the leadership of Prince TTTT, launch an attack on Talnia, destroying the Terran 6th fleet and the supply base there.  After the raid, PVN command realized that the attack had crippled GTA supply lines, and orders the group to capitalize on their initial success.  By then, the GTA had reinforced Talnia, and the fighting was much fiercer.

April:  With their defenses weakened, the Vasudans launch a renewed attack on the Terrans in Vasuda, finally driving them out by May.  The GTA orders Leviathan production resumed with new weapons and technologies.

2328:   February:  First Cease-Fire established.  After regaining lost territory, the Vasudans prepare for an assault on Terran systems when a rare Vasudan holiday comes up.  Forced by religious leaders, the Vasudans offer the GTA a short cease-fire.  The GTA eagerly accepts, and uses this time to establish new defensive lines.  The cease-fire is ended before the treaty is half over with no progress toward a lasting peace.

March:  Battle of Ribos.  Using information gotten via a spy amongst the Vasudans, the GTA counters an invasion of Ribos by easily destroying the pride of the PVN fleet, the PVD Savior.

2329:   January:  Second Cease-Fire established.  Following a series of crushing defeats, the Vasudan parliament offers the GTA terms for a cease-fire during which a lasting peace treaty would be discussed.  Negotiations lasted only an hour before breaking down, but the cease fire held until the beginning of February, during which the Vasudans strengthen their own lines.

August:  Battle of Deneb-Sirius Node.  After surprising Vasudan forces in Deneb, the GTA attempts to take the Deneb-Sirius node.  The defeat at this battle begins a chain of defeats for Terran forces that would eventually force them into Beta    Aquilea.

December:  Third Cease-Fire established.  In an attempt to stave off certain defeat, the GTA asks for a cease-fire during the holiday season.  It is agreed to, and lasts the five days after Christmas.  The GTA uses this time to reinforce its lines and prepare a counter attack it launches on New Year’s Eve day.

2330:   June:  Betelgeuse Siege.  After a dramatic counter-offensive, the Vasudans had managed to capture and hold Antares and Beta Cygni.  It is decided by Prince KKKK to lay siege to Betelgeuse and force the system to surrender.  The siege lasts nearly six months, costing the Vasudans dearly.  While they busied themselves trying to starve out Betelgeuse, the rest of the GTA attacked multiple supply bases in Antares, crippling PVN supply lines.  By December, the Vasudans are forced to withdraw from Beta Cygni.

2331:   January:  The Collapse of the Talina Nodes.  Though known for their instability, the nodes to the Talina system had been stable enough for the GTA to use the system as a major supply dump.  In late December 2330, however, the system was contested when a PVN fleet entered via the Vega system forcing the GTA to withdraw key equipment and personnel.  By January Vasudan and Terran scientists had independently determined that both nodes into the system were due to collapse to an unusable state within only a few weeks.  The commanding officers of both the GTA and PVN fleet called a cease-fire and jointly organized an evacuation of the system.  By late February, the nodes were no longer stable for anything to travel through.  For years it was hoped that the nodes would restabilize, but hopes would be dashed after the destruction of the Sol-Delta Serprentis node and the system was finally removed from maps.

March:  Fourth Cease-Fire established.  Considered the last serious attempt at peace, Vasudan and Terran officials meet for the bulk of the one-month cease-fire.  Serious talks of an end to the war come up, but are dashed when no agreement is made.

November:  Fifth Cease-Fire established.  By odd coincidence, Terran and Vasudan election dates overlapped during 2331, encouraging the ruling groups to    ask each other for a cease-fire so they could remain in power.  The cease-fire lasts   two days, and the ruling parties were both soundly defeated.  There would be no further cease-fires until the arrival of the Shivans.

2332:   January:  After being sworn in, Senator LLLL makes a speech proclaiming that the Vasudans should be “bled white” as the only way to win the war.  Similar statements by Vasudan legislators trigger a stalemate in the war that lasts for the next three years.

March:  Designs for the new Vasudan destroyer, the Typhon, are approved and    construction begins in Altair.  Any Saviors currently in production are scrapped    and used to build the new warship.

2333:   March:  Nearly one year to the day, the first Typhon, PVD Typhon, leaves the    Altair shipyards.  Its first assignment is to take Vega.

April:  The Vega Engagement.  The GTA’s first encounter with the Typhon class destroyer ends with the destruction of the GTD Eisenhower and the 4th Fleet.  The GTA launches a counter attack on Vega, forcing the Typhon to retreat but taking horrendous losses in the process.

2334:   June:  Battle of Vega-Deneb Node.  The last major battle of the 14-Year War sees the Terrans take the Vega side of the node.  The first Typhon destroyed in combat occurs during the battle.

September:  In an attack that surprised both sides, a second Typhon is destroyed in Antares.

2335:   January 8th:  GTA launches Operation Thresher, also known as the Fifth Battle of the Vasuda-Antares Node.  Initial losses cause Thresher to be declared a failure only two days after it started.

January 15th:  The Shivans attack Vasudan and Terran forces near the Antares-Ribos node.  The loss of the PVC Taurus and GTSC Plato lead towards cease fire proposal on the 18th by the Vasudans.

January 25th:  GTA and PVE sign a cease-fire and non-aggression pact based on the XXXX-YYYY Treaty.  The 14-Year War officially comes to an end.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Looks good.

One suggestion is that the Talnia system is not a star system, but is instead a system in the sense of the Jovian system. Talnia being a gas giant with several terrestrial sized moons.

Though the idea of a cease-fire and both groups working together at the period of the Talnia node collapse is a good idea, a situation closer to the Battle of the Wilderness might be better. :)

Some random comments regarding the Vasudans: Since Khonsu II overthrew the Vasudan Parliament to reinstate the Imperium. An overall assumption would be that any princes during this period would be figureheads. Similarly elections for the parliament would be skewed. Though new people would be elected the actual persons in control would be the same. The motives for the Parliament to continue fighting the war might be similar to the USSR and the cold-war. About all of the economy they had was tied to the industrial military complex.

Also, in Silent Threat it is mentioned that the GTI probably knew about the Shivans before the Great War began. Another assumption that can be made is that for the GTI to have been in a position for a coup even during the V-T war they had enough power to have shifted a few senator's opinions. Due to their knowing about Shivan technology and their plans for the Hades rebellion, the war may have been prolonged by them to weaken the GTA for their seizure of power.

All of these comments are a little colored by the plot outlines that Plasma and I wrote for FS:FPS that was set in 2332.

Anyway, this thread will definately lead to a lot more constructive comments then the one I started. Hopefully a moderator could close or delete that thread. ;)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2003, 08:48:13 pm by 72 »
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Solatar

Don't worry about the Shivans in the T-V War, we know what we're doing.:D

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
By the way, it's spelled Talania.  Says so in the original FS1 tables. (I sound like Ace now. :p)

And as far as the Shivans, I changed my mind about what we had thought of for the middle of the campaign, and currently have no plans to include them.  So I'm open to suggestions or speculation. :)

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
Originally posted by Ace
One suggestion is that the Talnia system is not a star system, but is instead a system in the sense of the Jovian system. Talnia being a gas giant with several terrestrial sized moons.

Though the idea of a cease-fire and both groups working together at the period of the Talnia node collapse is a good idea, a situation closer to the Battle of the Wilderness might be better. :)

It was a system as of the FS1 original node map (long since gone, unfortunatly) and I, for one, refuse to accept it as anything less.  Really, the whole point of the Talania (I always misspell it for some reason) node collapse was to explain why it disappeared from the maps between games.

Some random comments regarding the Vasudans: Since Khonsu II overthrew the Vasudan Parliament to reinstate the Imperium. An overall assumption would be that any princes during this period would be figureheads. Similarly elections for the parliament would be skewed. Though new people would be elected the actual persons in control would be the same. The motives for the Parliament to continue fighting the war might be similar to the USSR and the cold-war. About all of the economy they had was tied to the industrial military complex.

The term "Prince" does not refer to "sons of the Emperor," (for those who are confused) but to a figure of power.  In fact, for all I know it might actually be a military rank of some type.  On top of that, we don't know how much influence the Emperor actually had.  After all, he did disolve the entire government of billions with a word, so he might have had quite a bit of power to appoint "princes" to high military positions.  In truth, it is an Empire, so I figured the title of Prince would be perfect for many of the leaders who worked outside central command.  The Battle of Talania is the perfect example of this, the Prince there just led his forces into a battle that command hadn't planned on and triggered the liberation of Vasuda.

Also, in Silent Threat it is mentioned that the GTI probably knew about the Shivans before the Great War began. Another assumption that can be made is that for the GTI to have been in a position for a coup even during the V-T war they had enough power to have shifted a few senator's opinions. Due to their knowing about Shivan technology and their plans for the Hades rebellion, the war may have been prolonged by them to weaken the GTA for their seizure of power.

I honestly didn't want to get into that, just on the official war.  Also, we don't know the actual plans of the GTI after they took over.  Maybe it was just a bunch of admirals who saw a chance to get one hell of promotion, or maybe they were the genesis of the NTF, or perhaps they thought only they could keep the GTA togeather.  We'll never know for sure.  I personally, don't think the GTI tried to make the war longer, it just happened that way thanks to politics.

---------

Offline Solatar

Originally posted by Goober5000

And as far as the Shivans, I changed my mind about what we had thought of for the middle of the campaign, and currently have no plans to include them.  

Good, probably better than way.:yes:

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
Originally posted by Eishtmo
It was a system as of the FS1 original node map (long since gone, unfortunatly) and I, for one, refuse to accept it as anything less.  Really, the whole point of the Talania (I always misspell it for some reason) node collapse was to explain why it disappeared from the maps between games.

The only original nodemap I know of is the one on the Volition Inc. FreeSpace page:
http://www.volition-inc.com/fs/downloads/fsnodemap.gif

As for the node chart used in the cb_animations for FS1, unless the system can be seen in one of the scenes there I don't believe it exists. Most likely Talania is another famous case of Volition not having a lot of continuity in FS1. (Such as the mysterious node the Bastion used from Sol in one cb animation...)

The only nodemap I know of that had the system on it was the original nodemap for Warzone, which was used heavilly in the FS community at that time.

The term "Prince" does not refer to "sons of the Emperor," (for those who are confused) but to a figure of power.  In fact, for all I know it might actually be a military rank of some type.  On top of that, we don't know how much influence the Emperor actually had.  After all, he did disolve the entire government of billions with a word, so he might have had quite a bit of power to appoint "princes" to high military positions.  In truth, it is an Empire, so I figured the title of Prince would be perfect for many of the leaders who worked outside central command.  The Battle of Talania is the perfect example of this, the Prince there just led his forces into a battle that command hadn't planned on and triggered the liberation of Vasuda.

You feel that the unification war is needed to explain the founding of the GTA, I find it hard to believe that the Parliament of Vasuda would have bowed down to the emporer without a fight, the Parliament was known for its corruption and more then likely it was responsible for overthrowing the original Khonsu Imperium. The Princes of the V-T war period are more then likely not related to the royal family at all, but infact honorary positions granted by the Parliament to the wealthy and privledged.

I honestly didn't want to get into that, just on the official war.  Also, we don't know the actual plans of the GTI after they took over.  Maybe it was just a bunch of admirals who saw a chance to get one hell of promotion, or maybe they were the genesis of the NTF, or perhaps they thought only they could keep the GTA togeather.  We'll never know for sure.  I personally, don't think the GTI tried to make the war longer, it just happened that way thanks to politics.

The fact that ETAK is from recovered knowledge of what the GTI was experimenting with, means that the GTI had much larger plans then a big promotion ;) Whatever they knew about was enough to scare the GTVA enough to bury all of the knowledge, but not enough to let Bosch experiment and take the risk for them. However this is really FS2 speculation.

Any direct influence by the GTI would probably not be seen during the V-T war. Shivan ships wouldn't be seen as "phantoms" until at least January or February 2335. Any operations done by the GTI to secure Shivan artifacts would be so classified that they would never be discovered.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2003, 08:28:16 pm by 72 »
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie

The idea that Talania is a gas giant system, or perhaps the more modern term "Brown Dwarf", might explain the reason for its collapse.  Since "local" subspace seems to be generated by the gravitational field of a star, perhaps the low-mass of a brown dwarf might be enough to create a small field of local subspace, but since the field is weaker, the conection of the nodes leading into the system might be less stable as a result.  Of course, I have my own theories as to the nature of inter-system subspace, but that's not for open forum.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

On the subject of these Vasudan Princes:

In my upcoming fanfic "The Siege of Betelgeuse" (mind you that that is only a working title;) ) one of the main characters is "Prince" Amenhotep.  My idea is that the entire empire is controlled by a few dozen powerful families (sort of like the USSR).  Several figures share overall control of the PVN and the Vasudan Army, while other Ministers control property, transportation, industry, etc...

My idea is that the PVE is like a warped version of communism, an oligarchy basically.  These princes didnt like the idea of Khonsu I (or whomever was in charge before the parliament took over) being in charge, and so they allied themselves with this group and overthrew him and his loyalists.  The rogue Princes became part of the PVE's "Inner Circle", the guys with all the money and power, along with the other leaders of whatever revolution eliminated the Emperor.  "Prince" is just an honorary title for these guys, but it is meant to represent what the Parliament is based upon, but some of these "Princes" aren't even royal, but instead are so influential that they decide that they merit that title and therefore elevate themselves.  

In reality, all the powerful Ministers can be considered Princes, because they are the Empire's rulers.  In reality, the parliamentary system hasn't changed much from the days of Emperor XXXXX, except for the fact that now a few dozen select families share the riches.
Power to the Canadian facist conspiracy plot!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Do you want to FRED all those operations? How many mission R U planning?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Many.  Probably around a dozen per chapter, except for Chapter 1.

And Eishtmo, how come you put the start of the war 11 months after first contact?  I always had the impression the war started almost immediately (within a month).

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
Originally posted by Ace
The only original nodemap I know of is the one on the Volition Inc. FreeSpace page:
http://www.volition-inc.com/fs/downloads/fsnodemap.gif

As for the node chart used in the cb_animations for FS1, unless the system can be seen in one of the scenes there I don't believe it exists. Most likely Talania is another famous case of Volition not having a lot of continuity in FS1. (Such as the mysterious node the Bastion used from Sol in one cb animation...)

The only nodemap I know of that had the system on it was the original nodemap for Warzone, which was used heavilly in the FS community at that time.

That node map (the one you linked) was, at some point, redone, removing Talania as well as the two extra nodes to Sol.  When the Warzone map was made, it was based on the original map (sans the extra nodes to Sol as it came after FS2), so Talania was there.  The original, original map is gone, and I've been unable to find a copy to confirm it (but I remember it).  That was why I did the whole mess with the node collapse, to explain the discontinuity.  We actually planned on doing the same to explain the extra nodes, highlighting them as extremely unstable and only after the 14 Year War actually started were their destinations found (or something like that).

I find it hard to believe that the Parliament of Vasuda would have bowed down to the emporer without a fight, the Parliament was known for its corruption and more then likely it was responsible for overthrowing the original Khonsu Imperium. The Princes of the V-T war period are more then likely not related to the royal family at all, but infact honorary positions granted by the Parliament to the wealthy and privledged.

I'd rather not get into a detailed study of the Vasudan culture, but there is nothing that says there wasn't a fight.  On top of that, given the relationship the Vasudan people had with the Emperor (aka:  nearly worshiping), I don't see it as much of a stretch that he would have some control over policy, appointments and all sorts of other stuff.  In any case, we don't know much of anything about Vasudan history, only that the Empire had existed for 10,000 years (or so).  We don't know when the parliament was established or why it was even allowed.  

In any case we're going around in circles with this one.  I never said they were related to the Emperor (or a royal family), what I am saying is that the Emperor probably had enough influence to appoint these people to actual positions of power.  They could have even been used by the Emperor to combat the parliament in an indirect way.  When a Prince won a major battle (like, say, Talania), the Emperor could excert more power and control.  When they lost, the Emperor would lose said power.

Remember, despite their differences, Terrans and Vasudans developed similiar thought processes, so political infighting like this, which occurs even in our government today, can be easily expanded to cover the Vasudan Empire during a state of war.

The fact that ETAK is from recovered knowledge of what the GTI was experimenting with, means that the GTI had much larger plans then a big promotion ;) Whatever they knew about was enough to scare the GTVA enough to bury all of the knowledge, but not enough to let Bosch experiment and take the risk for them. However this is really FS2 speculation.

Any direct influence by the GTI would probably not be seen during the V-T war. Shivan ships wouldn't be seen as "phantoms" until at least January or February 2335. Any operations done by the GTI to secure Shivan artifacts would be so classified that they would never be discovered.

Like I said, I'm avoiding the Shivans.  If someone else wants to fight to play with them, feel free.

Okay, on to the rest of the stuff.  Abaht, I'm not sure your idea really works.  For whatever reason, I just don't feel it works for them.  Perhaps I'm being optimistic here, but I would like to think that the Vasudan parliament is actually an elected and powerful assembly, not figurehead for a small group of rulers.  I might also be that I don't understand what you're driving at.

Goober, the gap between official contact and the war is the fact that Antares, where the contact takes place, is pretty remote for both parties.  Both sides, regardless of their plans, would feel that they had time and space to pursue a peaceful relationship (you don't always have to go to war with every alien you meet).  It also sets up future cooperation between the two (Talania, the Great War, etc).  They've lived in peace before, and they can do it again.  There's also the gap that neither side really knew what to do with this discovery.  They had to feel each other out, figure out what each side wanted and were capable of.  Once there was a decision for war (thus the rejection of the original treaty), the moves were rather swift.  All that was needed was a pretext, leading to a period of less than two months.

And no, we're not doing all of that.  Just most of it over the course of several campaigns.  Well, that's the plan anyway.

---------

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
what's the timeframe between when the species meet and communication devices are discovered?  you may want to play into that at the beginning
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Eishtmo came up with the idea that first contact actually occurred by pirates on both sides (as both species were at the fringes of their known space) who started a bit of a drug trade.  That's actually where Zod comes from - the main drug was Zodiac dust.  So the pirates of each species may have figured out a rudimentary system of communication before the GTA even realized what was going on.

I'm thinking that Vasudan linguists deciphered Terran Standard pretty quickly after "official" first contact... the Terran language would seem simple in comparison to theirs.  The GTA might be embarrassed at this, since their linguists would still be trying to figure Vasudan out.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
That node map (the one you linked) was, at some point, redone, removing Talania as well as the two extra nodes to Sol.  When the Warzone map was made, it was based on the original map (sans the extra nodes to Sol as it came after FS2), so Talania was there.  The original, original map is gone, and I've been unable to find a copy to confirm it (but I remember it).  That was why I did the whole mess with the node collapse, to explain the discontinuity.  We actually planned on doing the same to explain the extra nodes, highlighting them as extremely unstable and only after the 14 Year War actually started were their destinations found (or something like that).

It's not based on any original map, Talania is only there because in Cardinal Spear I had it as it's own system, something that if I had done again wouldn't have been done. Talania was removed from the BWO chart since I mentioned to IceFire that it is probably a gas giant system in Beta Aquilae. Also in the chart, Talania is misspelled Talnia.

I can drag IceFire into this thread if confirmation is needed ;)

The only edit done to the original Volition chart was the removal of the second node from Earth that was used by the Bastion in one of the command briefings for plot purposes. I don't remember where that was mentioned in the VBB, but it was a few years back. I'm sure one of the saved archives of the forum might still have it.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2003, 03:27:14 pm by 72 »
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
I remember Talania, clearly.  You obviously thought it was a system at one point, so the idea must have come from somewhere.  On top of that, there's no evidence for Talania being a gas giant, that was most certianly came up with after Talania was removed from the map as an alternate explination.

In any case, having the system "disappear" from the timeline creates some interesting plot points and even a couple of decent campaigns.  Remember, this is "close to canon," not canon itself.

BTW, I do love doing this stuff, it helps me clarify things not only to you, but to myself as well.  Which brings me back to the Princes.  I thought on the idea for a bit, and I think I've found a solution that should please everyone.

Princes are wealthy people who are granted, either by the Emperor or the parliament, funds and ships to wage war.  They put in their own money into their fleet (say, paying for supplies and such) and depending on whom is backing them, they recieve matching funds for victories.  It's reminisant of the early Roman Empire, where the Generals paid the troops, not the Emperor or the Senate.  That's why there were a lot of civil wars.  This could help explain how the Hammer of Light got orginized so quickly and lasted so long.  One Prince or another (or several) put up the funds to support their effort.  Whether they were true believers or not is immaterial.  That's how the HoL got the shields and managed to take the Altair shipyards, they had wealthy backers.

And Goober covered my idea of early contact pretty well.  To add to that, I think there was some limited civilian contact as well, but not nearly as widespread as pirates and drug smugglers.  Most, if not all contact was made in Antares.

---------

Princes are wealthy people who are granted, either by the Emperor or the parliament, funds and ships to wage war.  They put in their own money into their fleet (say, paying for supplies and such) and depending on whom is backing them, they recieve matching funds for victories.  It's reminisant of the early Roman Empire, where the Generals paid the troops, not the Emperor or the Senate.  That's why there were a lot of civil wars.  This could help explain how the Hammer of Light got orginized so quickly and lasted so long.  One Prince or another (or several) put up the funds to support their effort.  Whether they were true believers or not is immaterial.  That's how the HoL got the shields and managed to take the Altair shipyards, they had wealthy backers.

This idea seems pretty solid to me :yes: I'll have to run along now and make several changes to the outline of the Siege of Betelgeuse.  My original plan did include an intense rivalry between the Princes for control of military units as a motive for Prince Amenhotep's desperate gamble to attack Betelgeuse.  I also planned on having officers under the Prince's command fighting (not literally though;) ) for more funds and resources for their individual operations, because since the Prince supplies the goods, the subordinates would obviously want to be on his "very good side" in order to request more forces.

On a different note there is something else I would like to bring up about the timeline:

2324: June: Battle of Vega III. In an attempt to get around the Terran hold on Antares, the PVN launches its first major assault on a Terran system at Vega. The battle was the bloodiest to date, with the loss of nearly 50,000 on both sides. The Terrans managed to drive the Vasudans back to Deneb, but didn’t have the strength for a counter-attack.

50,000 dead combined seems quite low for a "bloodiest" battle, don't you think?  In WWII, a "bloody" was more like 100,000 dead and many more captured.  I always imagined that the major battles of the 14-Year War were extremely costly in lives.  In one point of my fanfic, I have hinted that a recent massacre cost the Vasudans 168,000 lives.  Think about it; if it takes 10,000 to crew a Typhon or Orion and 6,000 for a Deimos sized vessel, I believe that if lets say, 100 or so ships were destroyed, the casualties would be above 100,000.

Just a thought
Power to the Canadian facist conspiracy plot!

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
Originally posted by GrandAdmiralAbaht
50,000 dead combined seems quite low for a "bloodiest" battle, don't you think?

You misread the line.  It says the bloodiest battle to date, the date being June 2324.  Later battles would be far, far bloodier.  Just think of the number of ships destroyed when most of the fleet is not made up of destroyer class vessels.

---------

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak

http://www.cafeshops.com/freespace,freespace2,vasudan,hlp,ntf,holight,gtvi.3208557?zoom=yes#zoom
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
That is IceFire's map, not the original original map.  IceFire based his map off of the original, which is why Talania is there.

This probably is where the Talania --> Talnia misspelling originated - because IceFire started it. ;)