Author Topic: FreeSpace Blue: FreeSpace 2 as it should've been.  (Read 101886 times)

Offline CT27

Re: FreeSpace Blue: FreeSpace 2 as it should've been.
Or... maybe, just maybe...

wait for it

Two reasons. The first is that I've seen the Colossus kill the Repulse before Koth's monologue even finishes in normal gameplay, even in a single shot. That might have changed due to the new model, but still. Second, perhaps the Colossus doesn't fire on the Repulse because they're trying to get Koth to surrender, or they hope someone in Koth's crew will see reason. You know, "Don't do it, Koth! You're sacrificing ten thousand lives for nothing!"

But what do any of us know, really.

In the FS2 Blue version (for me at least), between "Koth out!" and the Repulse actually hitting the Colossus there was about a minute of time.  That should have been enough for the Colossus to turn so it could fire at least one beam cannon.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
* Cobra facepalms

I say I've seen the Repulse die in a single shot, you repeat that the Colossus could turn and fire at least once. Unlike you, I can read and understood your post perfectly.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline CT27

In the retail version I saw the Colossus got off shots and didn't destroy the Repulse so we saw different things okay?  No need to be hostile.

How about having the Colossus jump in a little closer to the Repulse if Colossus won't get shots off (to reduce the dead air time between Colossus CO ordering evacuation and the Repulse actually hitting it)?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 11:09:58 pm by CT27 »

Offline CT27

I had a slightly confusing issue with "Bearbaiting". 

After completing the mission successfully (all four Sathanas primary turrets destroyed, front flak turret destroyed, Beleth destroyed and the Vasudan corvette survived) I got failure music in the debriefing even though the debriefing text looked good.

Offline -Norbert-

Cobra, your problem with the mission is very easy to correct: Simply lock up the Colossus's weapons (or at least beams) until the communication is over.

But turning the Colossus to an angle where it can reliably shoot beams at the Repulse wouldn't contradict that. It's a wise precaution to get into firing position just in case the negotiation for the surrender fails.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 02:15:29 am by -Norbert- »

AFAIK the Collie should fire on the repulse with all 6 BGreens, that's why it was positioned that way in retail. 3 BGreens isn't enough to OHK an Orion. Though you could always just use armor.tbl to make that happen.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Re turning the Colossus - what would be the damage from a broadside impact vs. a head-on collision? I can see the CO of the Colossus not willing to risk a full-on impact on the 'body' of the ship, preferring the relatively isolated and more easily evacuated 'head' to take the brunt of the impact.

From Retail I do seem to remember the Colossus usually destroyed the Repulse before impact - and there usually was beam-hull clipping involved, if memory serves me right... Just my 2c.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'll figure out a way to make the Colossus kill the Repulse.

Offline Lorric

Personally I'd prefer it if it didn't kill the Repulse. It's nice aesthetically if it opens fire on it, but I love how the Colossus just tanks the hit with little more than scratched paintwork. And it also shows you that Koth's action truly was futile, and shows just how strong the Colossus is, which helps establish just how strong the Sathanas is later on.

Honestly the Colossus tanking that hit is one of the most memorable moments in all of Freespace for me.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 02:32:38 pm by Lorric »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
The thing is I think the Repulse ramming the Colossus was a symbolic story element, showing how futile resistance from the NTF had become.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Nah, given that both could happen in retail (afaik) I'll go with the one that doesn't make the Colossus look stupid. Jumping in to spring a trap and then having no weapons to bear is comically dumb.

Futility is announcing a ram and not even making contact.

Offline Lorric

In that case I guess the next best thing would be for the Colossus to open up with as many beams as possible after the dialogue is finished and obliterate the Repulse.

Offline CT27

Or how about have the Colossus turn slightly so it can get maybe one beam off...however have the Repulse stop losing health at a certain amount (until it hits the Colossus).

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Play it right now! Included in Blue Planet.[/url]

Is there a non-bundle version?

Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Is there a non-bundle version?
Not yet.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
No plans for it from the team.

So, this is a massive bump. Hopefully that's okay.

Just played through FSBlue. Thoughts:

Slaying Ravana is much better now, yeah. Kinda short, as has been mentioned.

The Morningstar is a lot of fun. To be honest, it's now one of the better weapons in the game IMO, because you can engage ships at extreme long range (for primaries) and easily score hits even on maneuverable ships. I don't think I like the green projectile, though, since the trail and shockwave are blue. It looked like it was one of the effects from FS1, maybe even from retail? It'd look a lot better with a blue or white projectile. Maybe the Balor laser, or even the Maxim bullet? Although granted, it would end up looking pretty similar to the Akheton. I don't think that's a bad thing, though, since the Akheton looks really nice and it doesn't get used too often.

The Mjolnirs in King's Gambit miss really really badly, yeah. Was able to take out the Uhuru after many many tries, by taking an Ursa with all Akhetons and two banks of Stilettos, and disabling it. Even then, it was a close thing.

I wasn't able to take out either Moloch in the nebula, from what I recall. I think on one run of Proving Grounds, the Aquitaine did fire on it, and might have destroyed it, but I failed that time because the Aquitaine was destroyed -- I was too focused on staying close to the corvette. But all the other times, the Aquitaine just didn't use its beams at all, except like one volley right after it jumped in. I would have used TaGs, but I think they weren't available in that mission...

Freespace Blue is definitely imperfect. I like that you made Slaying Ravana less frustrating, but now it's the complete opposite: a cakewalk. Also, King's Gambit keeps crashing for me every time the Uhuru jumps in. Every time. This mission is unplayable for me.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Freespace Blue is definitely imperfect. I like that you made Slaying Ravana less frustrating, but now it's the complete opposite: a cakewalk. Also, King's Gambit keeps crashing for me every time the Uhuru jumps in. Every time. This mission is unplayable for me.

We have debug builds for those things. Run the latest debug build and see if an error comes up.

Nope nothing. The debug build crashes exactly the same with no error message.