Author Topic: Re-make of HUD elements for sparky_hi_fs1.vp  (Read 18361 times)

Offline Tarvis

Re-make of HUD elements for sparky_hi_fs1.vp
To be honest, some things (such as the lead indicator, for example) came out badly when scaled up for sparky_hi_fs1.vp.

So, I'm re-doing most HUD elements to look better.

So far I've got:
-Lead Indicator
-Crosshair

Here's a before and after comparison.

Before:

After:

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Re: Re-make of HUD elements for sparky_hi_fs1.vp
Oh nice.
Now we just need the widescreen issues fixed.

Offline Tarvis

Oh nice.
Now we just need the widescreen issues fixed.
I don't think that's something that can be fixed with graphic replacements, but perhaps a hud_guages.tbl can be made for widescreen resolutions.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Probably not, but it's an old enough problem especially with reticles being off to the side.

Offline Solatar

As long as you religiously keep to the originals (as it appears you have) I'd love to play with these.

I play the FSPort in 1280x720 resolution, and while it looks great for the most part, some of the HUD elements are obviously pixelated. Some of that is just the resolution, but a bit is because it's original FS1 art.

I'm far from complaining, excellent job of them for getting that HUD in the game. The new Port version is so great I don't even run it as a MOD anymore, I just have a Descent Freespace folder in c:/games/

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I like.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Sweet Jesus, that's great.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Before:

After:
Nicely done. :):yes:

Although you should know that widescreen coordinate issues are not something the Port has any control over.  Those are FSO's department.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Wonderful, we truly appreciate this. Post the source files and we'll put them in FSPort 3.2 SVN.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Narvi

Nice work.

Heh, I actually liked the pixellated look. It seemed more... how to say, immersive? Like you were flying a more primitive ship.

Offline Solatar

I know I'm flying a more primitive ship in a more primitive time when I can fly up to a warship and not worry about getting slaughtered by various "new fangled" weapons. :D

Of course even the lasers on the Cain can be quite a nuisance on higher difficulty levels.

Offline Tarvis

Wonderful, we truly appreciate this. Post the source files and we'll put them in FSPort 3.2 SVN.
I'm going to wait before I do some more so I have a more complete package to give.

I could also do graphics for the low-resolution menus (So far they seem to be FS2's default) and fix some of the offsets for the mainhall screens. (Notably the Bastion's main hall in high-res mode displays animations a pixel or so down and right of where they should go. A modified mainhall.tbl should be all that is needed to fix this though.)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I don't think we support low-res menus anymore, considering that any computer within the last 5 years can handle 1024x768 or higher on FSO.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
We still support low-res menus.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Oh. Uh... :nervous:

*cough* I stand corrected then.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 01:19:40 pm by Cobra »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I think that you don't update them anymore though.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
They work just fine. But we haven't bothered to do the whole FSPort interface job on them, or render weapon and ship selections. So it's really a mishmash of FS1 and FS2 style, and nothing is animated.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Tarvis

Weren't they outlines (and triangles and such for the briefing icon) in the original game?

Was it deemed they didn't really fit? I'm curious to why they aren't in.

Offline Solatar

I think they wanted to use the FS2 style briefing icons (more detailed).  If you want the FS1 style, you can use the briefing icons from Shrouding the Light.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
RE: Briefing Icons. FS1 had only one icon for each ship class; they didn't separate them out by species, so an Orion and a Demon would be using the same icon. Therefore, they had to be more generic.
We figured we'd use the FS2 style icons since we have the upgraded technology, and applied that to the ship and weapon icons too.