Author Topic: Quick question regarding FSO Engine and CapShip battles  (Read 2074 times)

Quick question regarding FSO Engine and CapShip battles
Was watching a destroyer having at a cruiser that was close by today, and I was curious about something.  How does the FSO engine handle damage other than beams?  Flak cannons, blob turrets, whatever.  Are they actually damaging the other cap ship?  It seemed like between 8 million blob turrets, a barrage of missiles, and two flak guns opening up on the cruiser, I'd have seem some kind of noticeable damage, but the cruiser's hull integrity only really went down after a beam hit it.

Thanks for suffering a Noob question. 

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Quick question regarding FSO Engine and CapShip battles
They will damage the other ships but they do a much smaller amount of damage than the beams.

Whether they can kill the other ship depends on whether or not the weapon has the huge/supercap flags though.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Indirectly related to the topic, hope no one minds me asking.

Say if I wanted a high-volume blob weapon that puts hurt on both capships and fighters/bombers. So the weapon needs to deal enough damage, and have huge/supercap flags in order knock percentages off the capship HP, but at the same time it can't deliver too much damage or the fighter/bomber will die in one hit.

Is the armour table a solution for this? :doubt:

(Suppose the answer is yes - then my next problem would be targeting... AI targets ships at random...)

:)
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yep. Armor.tbl is exactly where you'd start for that. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
But wouldn't you expect capships to have tougher armor than fighters anyway? If a weapon is strong enough to seriously damage a capship then it should even more seriously damage a fighter, or even kill it in one hit.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Shields.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
So then we're talking about something that does a lot of armor damage and little shield damage, which would be Maxims. :confused:
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Well I'm thinking more on game balance. I'm inspired by the capship battles in X3:Reunion (as well as the damage-vs-armour type system in Red Alert 2 YR, the previous game I tried modding before coming to FS2O).

Trying to replicate film/anime-esque scenes where the main characters dodge thousands of blobs rushing towards them at high speed, said blobs fired from super-rapid firing, dual-role anti-cap/AF turrets. :D The problem is I get hit 100% of the time, so I end up having to use $FOF. :lol:

Which in turn can be real frustrating to work with sometimes... try it the first time, the blobs are still super-hard to dodge, and on the next, ridiculously easy. Not to mention all that lag with the blobs flying here and there... :doubt:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."