Author Topic: Game Booster 2.0  (Read 2390 times)

I tried out Game Booster v1.6 and it really didn't improve anything for me. I have to say that 2.0 is a whole different story. My frame rate is double than it was before. I also like the game box, it's a little menu that you drop your game icons into and when you want to play a game you just mouse over it click your game and game booster starts up. Very easy free app for Windows.

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

I am intrigued, but I notice that it specifically says for "the latest games".

Therefore, I am also skeptical, but I think I'll try it out anyway. If it does what I think it does it might be the perfect tool for a couple of games I have.

EDIT: Well... not sure if it's helping or not. The game I really wanted a framerate boost in still suffers from slowdowns. This might be due to the settings I have selected though, so some experimenting is in order...

Also, LIES at this being free. Full functionality, blah blah blah, give us money. It's only $10, true, but still.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 04:57:21 pm by Dark Hunter »
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
because I won't be near the machine I would want to try it on for another couple of weeks, what does it do for free?
or doesn't?

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i can't imagine the actual utility is that different from 1.6.  it closes process.  what more is there to do?

honestly i think it's overdone now.  it offers all kinds of useless little "features" now like scanning your drivers and something called 'game box'.  and yeah, that annoying "UNLOCK THIS FOR $10!!!!" crap.  one of which is shutting off some of the services, which i don't recall being the case in 1.6....
I like to stare at the sun.

Experimentation complete.

Conclusion: program's effects negligible. Just a waste of HD space. Deleting now.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

With 1.6 my frame rate was 30 fps with game boost on or off. With 2.0 my frame rate is 60 fps. That's why I made the the post, they must have done something right. The game box is cool because game boost starts up and shuts down automatically. The free app has improved the way FS is playing for me so I thought maybe others might find some use in it as well. Who cares if they have some features they want to sell? IObit makes some really useful software and I'm sure they have to pay the rent and the electric bill just like everybody else. Jeez.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Also, LIES at this being free. Full functionality, blah blah blah, give us money. It's only $10, true, but still.
The Beta version is still free. Might be able to google it for free.

EDIT: Latest version before stable was 3.0 Beta.

Who cares if they have some features they want to sell? IObit makes some really useful software and I'm sure they have to pay the rent and the electric bill just like everybody else. Jeez.

I wouldn't mind so much if they didn't go out of their way to advertise it as "free". If they stated up front that the full program cost $10, that would be a different story.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
With 1.6 my frame rate was 30 fps with game boost on or off. With 2.0 my frame rate is 60 fps. That's why I made the the post, they must have done something right. The game box is cool because game boost starts up and shuts down automatically. The free app has improved the way FS is playing for me so I thought maybe others might find some use in it as well. Who cares if they have some features they want to sell? IObit makes some really useful software and I'm sure they have to pay the rent and the electric bill just like everybody else. Jeez.

I think the issue is more that you have done something wrong before running this program. For the people here that fall into the category termed "Power User", who are able to build and maintain their own systems and who know which buttons to push to get the maximum bang out of their machine, a prog such as this is slightly useless.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Er, no. The issue here is this post was directed towards people who aren't "Power Users". If not knowing every little process that can be shut down safely constitutes "doing something wrong" so be it. I found this program to be helpful and think my fellow "Non-Power Users" will find it to be also.

Offline Kolgena

You don't even have to be a power user. I'm almost a regular user in how clean/lightweight I run my machine (ie, I don't). Unless you have like, massive spyware, torrents, or tons of desktop gadgets running in the background, this thing isn't going to do you much good.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, it defrags RAM. lolwut.

My frame rate doubled.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
This program does have its uses, though mainly for those with ram or CPU bogged down by background programs.

My frame rate hasn't seemed to have increased any, though my GPU is definitely the bottleneck of my system, which should change when I Get that ATI HD 3870 Mobility. :drevil:
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i tend to frown on utilities like this. i always clean up services and remove disable any start up applications and system tray programs. i dont use gadgets and i tend to close programs im not using. i avoid running os features that i do not use,  even to the point where il use utilities to create a special windows install cds with only the features i want. even then ram has not been an issue for me for at least the last 5 years, i have more than il ever need. i dont play enough games to really warrant utilities for that specific purpose in mind.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

It probably depends on how much background stuff you actually have running. If you keep your system optimized already, you don't need the optimizer.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i remember back in the late 90s there were a bunch of commercial utilities that really didnt do anything at all. someone disassembled the code and found that it just a front end for features that come with windows in some cases and other cases where the programs themselves were a facade that didnt really do anything other than look like it was doing something. this is the kinda thing that really worries me.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN