Great
12 (26.1%)
Good
12 (26.1%)
OK
13 (28.3%)
Sucked
2 (4.3%)
.....Why did Spartan even create this thread?
7 (15.2%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: September 07, 2006, 06:15:03 pm

Author Topic: Freelancer  (Read 11869 times)

I liked it but it had a very low replay value in my opinion

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I believe things got a bit scrappy over the rights of this game? Something like Anvil wanted to make a Freelancer 2, but Microsoft wouldn't market it, and wouldn't let them take it to another distributor or something? I'm sure that was something to do with why the source-code was released, I think it was actually an act of belligerence on behalf of the programmers who felt somewhat screwed over?

Offline Andreas

• Ai No Koriida
It was OK, though I only played it to the point where you escape from Liberty. The music was good, but the randomly generated "missions" bored the hell out of me. Seriously, every one of them was about go to point A, kill everybody/tractor some/something in, go to point B, blah blah.  :blah:
"We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." - Jonathan Swift
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
It was OK. I had high hopes for it but sadly the graphics really really bugged me. It looked far less detailed than FreeSpace 2 in many areas... and Starlancer was much much more attractive itself.

I didn't play all the way through the storyline I must admit... I just wasn't captivated. Meh.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I actually skipped most of the missions. I either used the system map to go find someplace the baddies would be, then hunted them and sold the bits that were left for scrap, or went mining. There were several times on my second play-through I ignored advancing the storyline until I could get the ship I wanted.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Which wasn't very easy or even doable :(   All interesting stuff can only be bought when you advance in higher levels, and the only way doing this was playing the story. So you are all the time bound to the weaker stuff when playing the campaign. Later you can buy some really interesting ships in the outer rim systems, but then the game become very fast boring once you explored all systems.
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I managed to get every one of the main faction heavy fighters (except the Valkyrie) this way, following the storyline. I still have a soft spot for the Dragon, though it can't really compete with the M10...

A Feddie Story

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
I think you misunderstood me, it's no problem becoming the heavy fighters of the liberty, bretonia, kusari and later on the heavy fighter from the "order". But there are some level 30 ships out ( I just don't know the names of them, you can buy them by the pirate factions in the outer rim. Those were great, and you have a chance surviving in the outer rum with them :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I liked Juni's funky looking Defender. They should have made that a normal ship that you could buy.

By the way, when she asks you to do the next mission in the story, always refuse it once before accepting. You often get some funny dialogue ("FINE!!") and Trent writes extra stuff in his diary. :D

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I did that just cause I liked pissing her off :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Freelancer was very good.

The desing of some ships is somewhat lacking, of other is very good.

What bugged me is the huge FOF the guns had - fighter manuverabiltiy was not important since your guns could rotate allmost as good as turrets! and of coruise the stupid progressive scaling that most games get trapped into.
A Libery elite fighter is ten times weaker than a kusari light one.

To increase my singleplayer experience I changed everything - added shield to all capships, changed the in-missions ships and their loadouts, added two ship and a new system, rebalanced the guns, shields and spacecraft and stuff like that...

I'm still not done and the damn game chrashes way too muich (it over sensitive I'm telling you!)

Bottom line - Freelancer could have been better. In fact, there is a demo trailer that shows a LOT of great stuff that has been cut out of the game!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

have any of you guys played the mods? I remember playing a mod once where they had Star Trek ships, Star Wars ships, and all other sorts of goodies you could buy, plus additional weapons. But the best part of the mods was where you could upgrade more than just weapons and nanobots/shield batts. You could alter the power cell, and a whole bunch of other stuff (it's been awhile since I've played it).

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I think you misunderstood me, it's no problem becoming the heavy fighters of the liberty, bretonia, kusari and later on the heavy fighter from the "order". But there are some level 30 ships out ( I just don't know the names of them, you can buy them by the pirate factions in the outer rim. Those were great, and you have a chance surviving in the outer rum with them :)

The Stilleto and its heavy counterpart (think it's the Saber), the Eagle, and the Titan/Legionaire? They're not that great. I fly a Titan for the extra pair of guns, but I flew the Anubis around and did quite well for a long time. The only heavy fighters that aren't up to spending time out there are the Defender and the Bretonia one.

And even the Titan/Saber don't do that well out in the boonies. Surviving extended sorties into Outcasts or Corsair home systems is difficult even with them.

A Feddie Story

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Freelancer was great, and still is. Sure it had it's downs also but nevertheless I enjoyed it fully (and still do)
Habeeb it...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
http://www.lancersreactor.com/t/download/download.asp?id=1018

Freepspace ships + sounds (shivan terran zod) plus fighters from god knows how many other sims out there.
I knew there was a link somewhere.  :D
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

thanks Colonel, that's the website where I got the mods, 'tis a good site. . .

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline camcanr

• Got Blarrg?
I thought freelancer was pretty good, like everyone is saying the ending, well, "sucked"! But in the end its a good game, its actualy in my top 20's list, and is really fun on multiplayer.  :nod:

it would be cool if there was a freespace mod.  :P  I think there actualy was a mod that included the apollo.
If this doesen't work, we'll all be talking Shivan.

actually, there is a Wing Commander mod. . . .I don't know if that's close enough to your taste, but Freelancer's graphics couldn't possibly be put onto FreeSpace's models, but it'd be interesting if you could make a campain that continued Trent's story. . .

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
it would be cool if there was a freespace mod.  :P  I think there actualy was a mod that included the apollo.

Cough check the link in my last post.........
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Some of my friends have been playing on a server called Monkey Universe, so I downloaded the mod and logged myself in there aswell. It was fun playing it after a while.

I'm no sure though how much I'll spend my time in ther since the BF2 update 1.4 was released just today :p
Habeeb it...