Hosted Projects - Non-FreeSpace > Crysis 2: Battutamod

Game Engine Question

(1/3) > >>

Zipper730:
I'm not sure if this is the place to ask: I don't mind if the moderators move this to a better spot, but it seems to be the only place that involves the Crysis game engine.

How effective is Crysis 2/3 for a space-engine?  Does it have substantial limits between the gaming center before everything goes sideways like FS2 and other game engines?  Also how big are the limits?

Colonol Dekker:
I think ace combat 7 uses something like that but I might well be completely mistaken.  Ace combat 7 uses the unreal engine  :lol:
 In any case, a dedicated crysis forum might hold more detailed information.

Failing that, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CryEngine

General Battuta:
I’ve actually heard that Crysis (or another Crytek title) was conceived of as a space shooter wayyyy back when. That said -

Cryengine ****ing suuuuucks for basically anything except being a very pretty (and on its later versions high-performing) in house engine for Crytek. The support is awful, the engine is hard to adapt to other uses, the rendering is beautiful which suckers people into using it but then they ALWAYS regret it. Star Citizen had to throw it out for Amazon’s version, and then Amazon killed a bunch of their in house titles because working on even *their fork* of CryEngine sucks so much.

It’s bad. It’s an Engine to make you Cry.

Zipper730:

--- Quote from: General Battuta on September 22, 2019, 04:55:22 pm ---I’ve actually heard that Crysis (or another Crytek title) was conceived of as a space shooter wayyyy back when. That said -

Cryengine ****ing suuuuucks for basically anything except being a very pretty (and on its later versions high-performing) in house engine for Crytek. The support is awful, the engine is hard to adapt to other uses, the rendering is beautiful which suckers people into using it but then they ALWAYS regret it.
--- End quote ---
So it's gorgeous, but hellish to make even very basic stuff happen?

--- Quote ---It’s bad. It’s an Engine to make you Cry.
--- End quote ---
I guess the name was more fitting then they ever thought :D

The E:

--- Quote from: Zipper730 on September 22, 2019, 08:53:25 pm ---So it's gorgeous, but hellish to make even very basic stuff happen?
--- End quote ---

It is perfectly fine if you want to do a first- or third person shooter or action game like Ryse. If you want to do anything else, you're going to end up fighting the engine all the way or contracting Crytek to basically make the game for you or both.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version