Author Topic: 3.6.10 System Requirements for OSX  (Read 6433 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: 3.6.10 System Requirements for OSX
I'm not having the problem I was having the other day either.  Maybe I was forgetting save.  Custom resolutions and the window/fullscreen window flags seem to be working just fine.

But man, this thing seems to run pretty slow.  At least with GLSL, Normals, and Post Processing in full screen.  In full screen window without GLSL it seems to run ok.  Not sure what the bottleneck is.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline tlc337

After testing some, I can confirm some things.  I can change resolution, aspect ratio, mod, ambient through oglspec, weapon/ship 3d and other things.

However, none of the troubleshooting or spec through 3dshockwave seem to have any effect.  no_glsl certainly doesn't have any effect.

Thanks!

Offline tlc337

Also, the devtools stuff works, too.  With either a 2009 or 2007 macbook with most turned on, I'm getting < 10fps.  I'm not ungrateful, just trying to figure out if I can get better performance.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Like I said, look at the few things I mentioned I disabled  to get playable framerates.  It's either GLSL, normal maps, the post processing support (none actually enabled in the mission), or the particular type of fullscreen/windowed mode.  Try the -fullscreen_window flag and see if that changes from regular fullscreen mode.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Soulstorm

• You really don't want to know!
    • Soulstorm's Personnal Webspace
OK, maybe we can work something out. You say that no matter which method you use (plain text command line or the Launcher) the application cannot recognize anything. The way the Launcher works, it is changing the command line file, and when FS2_Open runs, it takes parameters from that file. Each time the Launcher opens, it takes parameters from that file and checks the available boxes.

So, when you say FS2_Open doesn't recognize due to Launcher fault, some parameters, let's try to rule out any other possibilities first.

So, the first obvious question that comes to mind wether the FS2_Open changes the command line by itself to a default sate when it opens, or wether it doesn't take the command line file into consideration at all!

So, I would like you to perform this test:

1) Open the command line file, which is "cmdline_fso.cfg" inside your FS2_Open folder inside your user's library, and change it to something else. Write a custom command line with options you would like to use.
2) Save it. (DO NOT FORGET THIS STEP. Many power users seem to forget this simple one)
3) Close it. (do not leave it open)
3) Run FS2_Open.
4) Quit FS2_Open
5) Reopen the cfg file.

Does it contain the same contents?

You can perform the same test with the Launcher if you want. Open the Launcher, make changes, close the Launcher, (do not start up FS2_Open, you don't have to), and then reopen the CFG file. Do you see the command line arguments you checked in there?

If you do, then it's not a problem of the Launcher, it's a problem of FS2_Open. If FS2_Open sees a parameter in the command line file that it doesn't recognize, it will display an error dialog. If it recognizes a command but doesn't do anything about it, maybe the feature is obsolete, and maybe things for FS2_Open have changed and while I was studying for my exams  and I didn't notice!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the Launcher saves the user's options, each time before it Launches FS2_Open, and each time before it closes. So no matter if you press the save button or not, things should work. The save button exists in case you want to perform changes into many standalone mods. That way you can save your changes without having to run or close the app before you select the next available standalone mod.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 02:37:09 am by Soulstorm »
Soulstorm's website -- Articles, Programs, Forums, 3D art, and many more.

Offline tlc337

Like I said, I don't think that it's a launcher problem.  I tried changing command line stuff myself, and I can't get the things I listed to work command line or launcher.  I will take your suggestions and try them this weekend.  Thanks so much!