Author Topic: Need Help with Web Pages!  (Read 1356 times)

Need Help with Web Pages!
Crap... well it was recommended that if you start a campaign, you need a website to show progress, screenies, etc etc. When I asked if there was some kindof app that put it together for you, since there are so many, they said that you just need a hoster and you need to make one.

Well... I dont know, how, to make one, unfortunately. Is there anything that can help with this? Someone told me that there are webmasters that might be willing to help, so I decided to give this one a shot.

DONT FLAME ME! :shaking:

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Front Page is your friend... :p

:nervous:
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Depends on what you want to do. I personally use AceHTML for my pages but with something like that you have to learn HTML yourself. It's not a hard language to learn. In fact it's only a little more complex than the forum code you use here for the basic stuff like inserting pictures etc.

If you don't know HTML you might better off with a program that builds the page for you though.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
If I understand you correctly, you need an HTML editor, right?

Dreamweaver MX is more or less the industry standard, and it allows even total newbies to make simple webpages easily. Mozilla has it own editor, though I have yet to try it out and can't vouch for it. And there is always trusty Notepad, though if you're looking for ease of use and as long as the webpage is going to be relatively simple, this is probably not the best choice.

Or, if you want, you could use Photoshop, which also has the capability to make webpages through its "slice" feature, though I wasn't all that impressed when I used it.

BTW, whats the campaign?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 09:48:40 am by 644 »

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Frontpage.... is the devil.... but your friend in this case. Use it.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
    • United Gamers Coalition
I would design you a page for your campaign, nothing big or anything but something decent. IM me for more info, and ill hook you up.

If you want to make webpages, get Macromedia Dreamweaver MX to start. Its very simple to use and if your inclined to learn a bit this will help you greatly.

Frontpage is alright for noobs though.

Luckily I have dreamweaver MX on hand! I'll get to work! :D

I love you guys! ;)

Offline Rictor

frontpage is the devil incarnate. Avoid it like the plauge.

I dunno, it was recommended to me because it was more newbie-friendly. And Dreamweaver seems a bit intimidating when I look at it... *eyes the evil program of dewm*

Offline Rictor

Make sure you're in Layout view. It should be selectable from a tab near the top of the screen. Once you're in layout view, the two icons below are the Table and Cell buttons, which create a table and cells, respectively.

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
WYSIWYG programs are *nasty*. Learning html (preferably xhtml) and css is not that hard, so that's the way to go.

Try these:
http://www.w3schools.com/
http://www.w3.org/

Just so you know how nice CSS is (:p):
http://csszengarden.com
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Kamikaze
WYSIWYG programs are *nasty*.

Not to mention completely pointless for HTML since every browser works differently.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Ryx

• Twilight Falling
  • Away in RL land. Back later.
Notepad is your friend. Actually, I stumbled across an IDE a while back; Dev-PHP. Syntax highlighting and stuff. Very nice and Open Source (free).
Been using it for xhtml, css, javascript and now PHP (learning it). :nod:

Anyway, HTML is quite easy, really.
http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/index.html
http://www.tutorialized.com/tutorials/HTML/1
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 04:07:43 pm by 263 »
Intel C2D E6850|4Gb RAM|Abit IP35 PRO|ATI X1900 XT

Offline Rictor

well, WYSIWYG editors are great for newbies and uh...people who just can't do tables if their life depended on it, like me. Everything else I can handle, its just the damn tables that always get me. I really should learn CSS soon.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Front Page is the perfect program for n00bs (like me ;) ) to make web pages. It's Word on steroids. :p

You don't even have to know any language, it's perfect to get started. :p
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
Originally posted by Rictor
well, WYSIWYG editors are great for newbies and uh...people who just can't do tables if their life depended on it, like me. Everything else I can handle, its just the damn tables that always get me. I really should learn CSS soon.

If you learn to use CSS well you won't need to use tables for page layout. Table code is ugly to look at anyway.

That csszengarden site uses no tables, but looks very lovely.
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman