Author Topic: SWC Fan Guestbook  (Read 8307 times)

Offline Adalla

• So Say We All!
    • Adalla Productions
I wanted to be the first to thank the SWC Dev Team in their effort to bring Star Wars pilots a better space sim.

I'm going to encourage people to come sign this guestbook, and spread the word for you :)

Keep up the fantastic work folks. And remember, better take a bit more time, than do something hurried that will disappoint. Focus on model detail and visual appeal and accuracy, focus on gameplay and interface. Gear the game towards multiplayer, because that's the best way to get support for it, so that Clans and Clubs will be created, old and current XvT and XWA clubs will be revived and strenthened.

And also, a personal request, increase the fire rate of the lasers! X-wing vs TIE Fighter made an improvement in fire rate to the original X-wing and TIE Fighter games, but they are still considerably slower than in the movies.

Also, I would suggest you concentrate also on the cockpit, and perhaps have an option for a 2D cockpit and a 3D cockpit, as some games give you the option between the two, since some people prefer the 2D cockpits (they don't like XWA's 3D ones) and some do like them. Give the option of choosing :)

Last but not least, please remember that there have been many Star Wars space "sims" including Rogue Squadron, Star Wars Galaxies and Battlefront 2 space gameplay. These whoever, do NOT satisfy hard core space SIMULATOR fans, such as the folk who have been playing X wing vs TIE Fighter and XWA for 6, 7 or 8 years in multi-player competitive environment.

The more realistic you make this "simulator", the more options  you give the player, the more we will love it.

And again, if you can give people options, just like Flight Simulators do, of changing the realism settings, this should be able to please everyone, from those who like the Aracadish games, to those who want one of their X-wings Fusion Engines knocked out, and have the ship be influenced by a torque induced by the unbalanced thrust.

But, whatever you do, we are still happy you are doing it, as it is better than nothing :)

*S*alute

Adalla
Squadron Leader, The Rebel Alliance, http://www.darkjedi.org/club/TRA
Sith Apprentice, Sith Empire, http://www.sith-empire.net
Founder, XvT World, http://www.majesticsites.net/xvtworld
Contributor, Totally Games Official Forums, http://www.totallygames.com/phpBB2/index.php

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Thanks a lot for your post! We always love to see a new fan, and thank you for your praise.

As you suggested, we are definitely focusing on detail and most importantly accuracy to the source.  One of our biggest focuses is immersion, we want you to feel like you're flying a snubfighter, not playing as one.  There are of course limits to what we can do with the freespace engine, I'm not sure how well having separate 2d and 3d cockpits would fit (And I don't really see a need to put them in either...)

We are focusing on a simulator crowd, and so it's unlikely you'll be seeing any arcade-style settings anytime soon, we're hard core about bringing the first REAL Star Wars sim to the world. 

Thanks again for the praise, and spread the word!

Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
@Adalla- :welcomegreen:     :nervous:
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
btw, our 3d cockpits will be very detailed and have working displays.  the need for 2d cockpits for clarity and such will be gone.  it will also be nice to have a full cockpit in front of you that lights properly.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Yeah, forgot to mention that
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter

i'd put this in the ISD thread, but there's nothing i love than making a good impression on new people
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Nice!  :eek2:

I want a new SW sim!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
:welcomesilver:

You will soon have one! :)

And FreeSpace is good. You could get distracted with it :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline 8ball

Psh... Adalla is always making big speeches ;).

Anyway, I hope you take some of his suggestions to heart and work to please new and especially old X-Wing series pilots.  IMO, XWA was a flop and nothing compared to XvT but my opinion may be biased :).

Also, my biggest request is having the ability to hide the cockpit but not necessarily move the camera out of the cockpit.  Another cool feature would be if the game could relay statistical information in a standard format (possibly XML) to a website through CURL or some similar process allowing the website to track pilot statistics for multi-player competitions or just to keep track like America's Army, Battlefield 2, etc.

If you guys need any help coding, I'd love to help with what I can.  I'm a web programmer by profession and I've been wanting to take up C/C++.  I've heard it's mostly a matter of different syntax.

Thanks again for your dedication and hard work!

*S* 8ball out
PEACE!!

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
:welcomered:

Jeez, what forum did we get dropped on?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline 8ball

Jeez, what forum did we get dropped on?

The Rebel Alliance's

http://darkjedi.org/comlink/?cl=3

It's basically a military structured club (hence the *S* = salute) for people who play X-Wing vs TIE Fighter and X-Wing Alliance :).  It's been around for about 8 years.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Oh I missed the *S*.  3, that's the TRA comlink right?  I'm actually on the Reserves :)

*S*
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
i'd put this in the ISD thread, but there's nothing i love than making a good impression on new people

What about cake?

Incidentally, if you're interested in getting these features into the SWC, the best way is to go and talk to the SCP, which we'll be using for our engine. Hell, if you want C++ experience, there's a bounty on bugs ATM - good way to get involved I'd wager.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline 8ball

What about cake?

Incidentally, if you're interested in getting these features into the SWC, the best way is to go and talk to the SCP, which we'll be using for our engine. Hell, if you want C++ experience, there's a bounty on bugs ATM - good way to get involved I'd wager.

I'm pretty new to this community and these might be stupid questions but what is the SCP and how/where do I get started checking for bugs?  Is there a particular topic somewhere for that?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
SCP bug hunting drive! Calling all programmers!  You get 5 bucks a popped bug... read the thread for details.

Oh, yeah, and the topic would be:

Hard Light Productions Forums > Community Projects > The FreeSpace Source Code Project

Offline Twigs

The project looks great guys, can't wait to see more! By the way, if anyone wants to get news on other star wars based games and mods, check out xvtworld. It was created to help unite the XvT and XWA community, but carries news on a few other things too, this project included. We'd love to see you over there adding some snippets as well!

http://www.majesticsites.net/xvtworld

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
:welcomesilver:

I think the SWC team should :)

<I think I will join the team in the future...do they need top notch FREDders?>
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
We have Fredders, but when we get really concentrated on campaigning, more will probably really speed up the process.  Maybe.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
We have Fredders, but when we get really concentrated on campaigning, more will probably really speed up the process.  Maybe.

Do you have FRED contests? Which criteria do you actually use when choosing FREDders?
The Lightblue Ribbon