Author Topic: Afterburners, or The Most Misleading Subject Ever  (Read 65897 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I remember that when i played the x-wing series the only thing you could do to increase your speed was to redirect power to your engines, a feat that can also be used in FS.

Actually, redirecting power to the engines doesn't make you go faster, it only makes the afterburners charge up quicker! :P

This is dependant on the ships in FS, only the Bakha and Artemis/Artemis D.H. do it this way. :P

QFT, using the $Max Oclk Speed.  :nod:

If anyone hasn't seen this, it's quite useful to read: (specifically in this context, anything to do with afterburners... how do you want them to handle?  Or just shut them off entirely... you could have no burners and still have the max oclk speed higher than normal, that might be more SW-ish if you want.)

Code: [Select]
;  file to indicate all ship types and their physical characteristics (such as physics info, etc)
;  format is a simple form of the mission files
;
;  Some general comments about some of the fields
;
;  Velocities are specified in (freespace) units/second.  You can currently only
;  specify velocities in the linear directions.  Rotational velocities are still
;  currently speified with thrust (until I get this fixed).  Rotation time is the
;  amount of time (in seconds) to complete 1 revolution in the given direction
;  (x is pitch, y is heading, and z is bank).
;
;  Damp affects how quickly you will accel/decel to your target velocity.  Higher damp
;  means slow acceleration and deceleration.  The lower this number, the faster
;  the ship responds.   For example, specifying a value of 0.0 means there is no
;  damping, in other words, people would say, "this has no physics, like Wing
;  Commander."   The more damping, the harder to control, but the more smoothly
;  it moves.
;
;  Accelerations:
;   All the acceleration numbers are damp factors for how fast the thing
;   changes speed.   0 would mean instantaneous velocity changes, and the
;   bigger the number, the slower the acceleration.  Sort of backwards, but...
;   forward_accel - The damp factor for when the ship is trying to go faster
;   forward_decel - The damp factor for when the ship is trying to slow down
;   slide_accel - The damp factor for left/right/up/down/reverse acceleration.
;   slide_decel - The damp factor for left/right/up/down/reverse deceleration.
;
;       Energy Transfer System:
;       $Power Output           =>      energy is produced per second by the ship's reactor
; $Max Oclk Speed         =>      the max forward speed of the ship when 100% energy
;                                       is directed at the engines
; $Max Weapon Eng         =>      how much weapon energy can be stored (related to $Energy Cosumed
;                                       field in weapons.tbl)
;
;       Afterburners:
;        $Afterburner                   => YES if afterburner present, NO otherwise
;
;        The following parameters must be present if $Afterburner is YES, otherwise comment
;   out or delete them:
;
;       +Aburn Max Vel:                 => x,y,z velocity when afterburner engaged
;       +Aburn For accel:               => forward accel when afterburner engaged
;       +Aburn Fuel:                    => fuel capacity of afterburners
;       +Aburn Burn Rate:               => rate in fuel/second that afterburners consume fuel
;       +Aburn Rec Rate:                => rate in fuel/second that afterburners recover fuel
;
;       $Subsystem:                     name, percent_damage, turret_turn_360_time
;               $Default PBanks:        ( "weapon1" "weapon2" )
;               $Default SBanks:        ( "missile1" "missile2" )
;               $SBank Capacity:        ( 50, 100 )
;
; A note regarding ship sounds:
;       The index for ship sounds corresponds to the index in sounds.tbl.
;  If you don't want to assign a sound, put -1 as the index.

Offline aRaven

why do you people get the idea that transferring energy to the engines make the ships go faster? in canon a (movies) u never see such a thing. This energy management thing only came in the X-Wing game series.

Offline aRaven

Well for the most part star wars ships are pretty vulnerable regardless.  If you watch the movies most of the fighters go down in only a few hits anyways.  The rebel advantage is a couple extra shots in, which could be pretty important in the gameplay we're planning to model.

Remember, our mod is trying to focus on the ability to avoid fire rather than absorb it.

The Jedi starfighter piloted by obi wan in the geonosis asteroid ring absorbed quite a bit of energy from the laser shots from slave 1. also in TESB the falcon withstood severe bombardment from the TIE fighters and ISDs.

it is believed that lucas only made the fighters in the big battles go down quicker because it would be boring to see a ship under sustained fire without anything happening. also mark that the fighters withstood heavy bombardment from the planetary (Deathstar) fire the whole time, thus weakening the shields considerably. we only see big battles in the movies anyway. so there is no real evidence the fighter shields are that weak anyway.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Popped in my DVDs to rewatch some scenes, just to make sure my memory was correct:

Obi Wan's starfighter did manage to avoid most of the fire lanced at him by Jango, with many of the blasts exploding nearby him but not directly on his shields, and many hit a lot of the rock floating around (they explosions are too far away), also note that Slave I has rapid fire, low powered blaster cannons, not military grade lasers.

As for the Falcon, A) It's a much larger ship than the fighters and would naturally have better shields I'm sure.  Secondly, having watched that scene the falcon is only hit 3 or 4 times by lasers anyways, and none of the turbolasers hit it.

In general, the most commonly seen fighter combat has it being quick and deadly, a style of play that we've chosen to stick with.  The only scene that is in any of the movies that could really show it differently is that one scene in Episode II, and at the very most all you could use that as comparison of is simply between those two ships.  Prequels don't override the original trilogy in our minds.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 04:14:17 pm by brandx0 »
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

In my mind, I always viewed the blasters/lasers exploding really close to a ship was equivalent to them impacting on the shield bubble. Of course that is pretty inconsistent in the movies...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
In my mind, I always viewed the blasters/lasers exploding really close to a ship was equivalent to them impacting on the shield bubble. Of course that is pretty inconsistent in the movies...

That's the only thing that would make sense.. they aren't "timed" to go off when they reach their mark, or you'd never see lasers overshooting their targets.  And of course they don't have proximity detectors.  I think shields can better handle "glancing" rather than "direct" hits, maybe?  Oh, and the IDS turbo lasers never landed shots on the fighters; they were designed to take down larger, slower vehicles, which the Rebels used to their advantage.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
...Of course that is pretty inconsistent in the movies...

That's the largest problem with sticking only to G-canon.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Well we're not sticking only to G-canon, in case you haven't noticed.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
watching epII, obi-wan fightet hasd 2 direct hits on it, and those do a fair amount of damage.

BTW maybe the inside manouvering jets are directed aft when s-foils close, which would increase speed, and reduce manouverability

OR maybe the force causes some resistance in space

Offline aRaven

no. there are no maneuvering thrusters for X-Wings. In the SW universe, space isn't space, its filled with the aether...and the ships maneuver through the aether with aether controls.

in analogy to air in real life ( modeling WW2 air combat)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I never knew that :yes: Corellia has continental sized repulsorlifts under the tectonic plates, i heard somewhere is it true?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I just assumed that "aether" in SW was sort of like subspace or hyperspace: There but not there; you can only influence it with the special drives like aetheric rudders or hyperdrives (?)

Whatever.

And about the giant repulsers, I can't recall about that. Unless you're referring to the "Legacy of the Force" books of which I've only read two. There is the thing about centerpoint station being a giant repulsor jet/cannon thing. Speaking of, I though a repulsor needed something solid to push against in order to work, and wouldn't work in deep space.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Speaking of, I though a repulsor needed something solid to push against in order to work, and wouldn't work in deep space.

That's what the name suggests anyway! Maybe they repulse against the aether?  :confused:  :nervous:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Trying to explain Star Wars with real-world physics is futile.

Like how the hell can microscopic lifeforms called midichlorians make droids topple over?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
They can't.

Midichlorians don't exist.

It was all a bad dream.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
You're mixing up terms.

Midi-chlorians allow someone to sense the Force.

You can use the Force - that you sense because of midi-chlorians - to Force push droids.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
So if someone was to breed them in a bacta tank style machine. They could make people strong in the force i'm guessing?
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
See that's the reason the whole concept of synthesized music pool sanitizer* is that it ruins the fact that the force is supposed to be mystic, not explained by science.  So no, you can't do that because it doesn't work that way.

*(MIDI-chlorines, in case it wasn't as obvious as I thought when typing it)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I always thought of the force as a zen state/mystic thing/born with not learned thing.
I'd never even heard of midgetchlorines til i read this. I just asked is all, i blame Jedi Academy and the staff of ragnos for putting mass produced Jedi into my head. :s
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Actually, blame George Lucas for coming up with the midi****ians in the prequels =P