Author Topic: Feature wishlist - Off-topic posts  (Read 5800 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Feature wishlist - Requests
Spawn them.

Or not. I have no idea how well the ship-create SEXP works in multiplayer, it might work flawlessly or it might create a whole bunch of problems.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Shade

Well, it's worth a shot. I have an old mission where I messed around with ship-create among other things, it would be a 5 minute job to make it an MP mission and test it. In fact, I'm gonna do that right now. Once I dig it up.

[Edit] They spawn well enough in MP, and seem to take orders too. I crashed shortly after though, but it seemed to be unrelated as it was just an assert during a weapon switch (and I wouldn't put much stock in that - Build was oldish and the mission referenced all kinds of crap that wasn't available as I didn't bother to enable any mods).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 02:21:05 pm by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The ship-create sexp was not very stable even in singleplayer, at least the last time I tried it. It doesn't crash often but maybe 5% of the times it's called. If you call it several times in succession though, the chances of a crash increase a lot.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
It may work on the host end but did you test the client side as well? 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Shade

Only as host. I can throw up a game quick if you want to test the client side as well, though.

[Edit] I know for sure now my crash was not related to spawning ships. Was able to reproduce it after ripping everything spawn related out, and it doesn't happen on the build I normally play with anyway. So far I've been able to kill 3 waves of spawned ships as host without any problems, though how it works for clients still needs to be seen.

As for spawn related crashes, back when I experimented with them I found that those usually came from spawning a ship type that wasn't already in the mission or from trying to give them orders using an incorrect name. Once those are worked around it's actually quite stable in my experience. But that was all in single player mode.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 03:58:56 pm by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I'll have to give that a try then.  One ship is only cosmetic that arrives at the end of the mission so I'll try it with that one.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
a more intelligent targetting system would be nice , maybe one with a few different modes , like attacking ( as is), defend ( select friendly target and autotarget selects ships that are causing most damage to said vessel) and self preservation ( assess the most dangerous ship when your being gang raped by missiles etc)
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline Shade

Those are not really multiplayer suggestions, though. I'd suggest making it a seperate feature request :)

Offline captain-custard

i think your rght but they can be used in multiplayer and as i rarey play single player these days i want them for multi.....
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline jedimasterseth

• ~#fLinT#~
    • MySpace
By the time I'm bacvk and gaming again I want all the issues sorted. I also want a brand new build. I want I want I want (and i always get)
Jedimasterseth a.k.a FLINT

Offline captain-custard

By the time I'm bacvk and gaming again I want all the issues sorted. I also want a brand new build. I want I want I want (and i always get)

SLAPPED VERY HARD