Author Topic: Truespace Trouble  (Read 1711 times)

acs07

I'm a little confused on what are the boundries of modiling a ship.  For starters how many subobjects are you allowed to use when making a model?  In my case I seem to be limited to 5. But then you have to consider turrets.  I mean what is the deal?  I see people use triple the subobjects that i'm using and I still can't get it right.  Instead it shows up in fred, but only the back of the ship shows normally.  And the rest is somewhere occasionally when you rotate around fred2 the hull shows up right in front of your face!  Is there any special rule I havent been told?

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
Well from looking at the POF you sent me the first and foremost flaw found was no textures at all. When I opened your POF in modelview and looked for texture data there was none listed. Without a texture map FS2 won't like the model  

To test, just take any texture from another ship and paint the entire model with it. It won't look pretty, but it'll work in game and allow you to see if there's another problem or if it was just this  

------------------
Warlock
DeathAngel Squadron
CO

Do or Do Not,..There Is No Spoon
Ghosts of the Past Forum
Ghosts of the Past WebSite
To Fly Exotic Ships, Meet Exotic People, and Kill Them.

We may rise and fall, but in the end
 We meet our fate together
Warlock

DeathAngel Squadron, Forever remembered.

Do or Do Not,..There Is No Spoon

To Fly Exotic Ships, Meet Exotic People, and Kill Them.

We may rise and fall, but in the end
 We meet our fate together

Starwing

For your problem with just thew backside of a model visible, you have to know that 3D- faces have only one side, not like piece of paper with a front and a back. If the 3D- face is facing the wrong direction it won't show up. So if you encounter this problem all you need to do is flip the faces. I don't know which modeller you use, so I can't tell you how to do that, but Truespace 4 has a "Flip all faces in subobject" button, and Rhino 3D has a "flip" keyboard command.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
yes but it's probably not a problem of flipped normals, or else he would see the opposite faces from the inside (if you see what I mean)

------------------
venom2506
Member of the Robotech mod for FS2

and of Hidden Terror, the Shivan campaign

and My own page
SCREW CANON!

Starwing

That how I had interpreted his "only the back of the ship visible" statement. But if that's  something else I can't help.