Author Topic: oh man this is so cool  (Read 24100 times)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: oh man this is so cool
I know it was designed for big anti-cap non-beam weapons, but you never mentioned if it was on a per-weapon basis (I simply assumed it wasn't for the sake of effect). Thank you for your answer, but there was nothing to "pay attention" to. Relax...
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Er, yes there was:

You should note that impact, flash and piercing effect sizes are fixed per-weapon, they do not scale depending on whatever is on receiving end.

Though it's worth noting they can be disabled for small ships now.

Anyway, no offense intended.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 11:06:25 pm by General Battuta »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Er, and to clear up a misunderstanding, it was actually designed for big anti-cap beam weapons, then generalized to all weapons (including big anti-cap non-beam weapons.)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Ergh, sorry. I missed that as it was a page back and before the "all weapons" thing. Turning it off per-weapon wouldn't really be necessary for beams (barring Anti-fighter beams, but those punch through stuff near-death anyway, and if it scaled there wouldn't even be a problem with fighters, but I digress.)

Disabling for small ships is nice. The more control we get over the effect the better :P
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
3.6.11 build 5832 supports hull piercing effects in primaries other than beams. The blob itself does not appear from other side of the hull, but explosions occur as usual.

I have applied these effects to ALL FS2 and BP primaries and the end result is quite snazzy. It is quite awesome to see small explosions coming out on the other side of enemy fighter. Large UEF mass drivers really seem powerful when their hits are accompanied by huge burst of flames on the other side of their unfortunate target. These explosions only occur when target is below 10% hull.

Unfortunately these effects do not work on secondaries in build 5832, but Wanderer has already fixed this. Once the next Windows nightly is out, I'll be sure to include secondaries in the happy family of hull piercers.

Also, you may want to replace Exp04 with ExpMissileHit1 in beams-wep.tbm. While it lacks debris, it is overall a better explosion for this effect.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The MediaVPs might consider coming up with a custom explosion effect for this, rather than using one of the existing explosions.

Also, I believe the synced explosions problem was fixed?

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Speaking of other fun effects, Komet's Japanese localization mod was supposed to have hull sparking upon weapons impact as well as a few shield-hit affects as well. Will these similarly get into the MediaVPs? Damage effects are fun...  :nod:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline -Norbert-

Unfortunately these effects do not work on secondaries in build 5832, but Wanderer has already fixed this. Once the next Windows nightly is out, I'll be sure to include secondaries in the happy family of hull piercers.
I don't think that's a good idea. Missiles usually explode on impact, thus they really shouldn't have explosions on the other side of the ships. Unless of course you add a ballistic cannon that can be equiped into the secondary banks (Dawn of Sol had one such weapon.... can't remember the name though... something starting with S).

The blob itself does not appear from other side of the hull, but explosions occur as usual.
Is that also the case for Railguns? As far as I understand it, in terms of gamemechanics Railguns are "just" blob turrets. Because I'd really like to see those weaopns punching through ships and coming out on the other side.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Missiles definitely create explosion plumes in real life. Warheads are generally directional.

In any case, again, the plume can be set on a per-weapon basis.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I have applied these effects to ALL FS2 and BP primaries and the end result is quite snazzy. It is quite awesome to see small explosions coming out on the other side of enemy fighter. Large UEF mass drivers really seem powerful when their hits are accompanied by huge burst of flames on the other side of their unfortunate target. These explosions only occur when target is below 10% hull.
Could you give us the tbm for all FS2 primaries please ? It will avoid for everyone wanting to see that to loose time manually copypasting and renaming all this stuff.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I'll consider that once next nightly is out and I have secondaries finished. Though it slightly bothers me that if I do that, it's one less "new and awesome feature" in BP.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
It looks a bit silly with a ship that small and that many beams but I guess that's for testing purposes.

Will that effect be implemented into the standard MediaVPs as well?

DEMANDING DEMANDING DEMANDING!!!
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Felix 039

• The One True Noob
Do you mean we get to see a "hole punch" effect on ships?
Turning pros into noobs since 1992.
---
Oh look, there's something down here!

No there isn't...

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
FSU will be releasing an interim tbm for use with the MediaVPs as soon as numbers get solidified.

It won't be officially support on 3.6.10 (and will require a Nightly Build to use) but it will be standard in the next MediaVP release.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline -Norbert-

Missiles definitely create explosion plumes in real life. Warheads are generally directional.
But strong enough to punch through a destroyer? As you said yourself it's on a per-weapon basis. So while it may look great against cruisers it would look rather odd on the biggies, or if a missle hits the front or rear of a ship and produces a secondary explosion hundreds of meters away on the other end of the ship.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Fantastic. I'm also in the 'reduce the size of the exit plume' camp--it's augmenting the existing effect, not a total replacement, so should be seriously toned down.

The slash effect is amazing! Someone could whip up a custom effect for that with a red glow of molten metal that fades slowly.

Since it's a particle effect, how does this work on moving targets?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Fantastic. I'm also in the 'reduce the size of the exit plume' camp--it's augmenting the existing effect, not a total replacement, so should be seriously toned down.
Since build 5832 it's possible to control the effect via velocity modifier.

Since it's a particle effect, how does this work on moving targets?
Not well, hence it's disabled for AAA beams in BP tables.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
These screenshots show further tweaked beam effects using standard MV_Effects assets.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Can you shorten the plume to about 40% of its current length, and show us?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 02:35:59 am by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^