Author Topic: Unusual folder names from Turey's Installer? [SOLVED]  (Read 3341 times)

Unusual folder names from Turey's Installer? [SOLVED]
I just ran Turey's installer, and it created a few unusual directories. I thought it best to check in that I'm running it properly, as some things don't quite make sense.

Folders that concern me:
data\movies -- Obviously, Windows separates subdirectories with a backslash, instead of a slash. Should this be making a movies subfolder in the normal data folder, or should this simply be another folder with a backslash in the name?
mediavps_3612 -- Seems analogous to the old mediavps folder. Simple enough.
mediaVPS_3612 -- MV_Assets.3612.vp. MV_Effects.3612.vp. MV_Root.3612.vp. Should these have been put in the above folder? They differ from the files there of the same name.
mediaVPs_3612 -- Empty folder. Why is this here?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Edit: FSO isn't case sensitive but Linux is, so Turey's installer made some duplicate folders and didn't handle subdirectories properly. Correct them appropriate to *Nix convention. Symlinks work fine, just remember that some mods expect 3.6.10 and some expect 3.6.12.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:10:00 pm by Corollax »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Unusual folder names from Turey's Installer?
Anything in mediaVPS_3612 should go into mediavps_3612. And yes, data\movies should be data/movies.

Note that this is a Linux-specific problem, as other operating systems are not as anal about case-sensitivity.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Thanks for the quick answer. I've just got a couple follow-up questions.

The wiki told me that I'd have to edit the various mod.ini files to point to the new mediavps folder. Is there any reason I couldn't just make a symlink from mediavps to mediavps_3612, and then update that when a new version comes out? That seems like it'd be a lot easier, though I worry that it might break something.

Turey's installer seems to be a little flaky lately (It lacks a scroll bar and has a window height about 3x larger than what my screen resolution will show, to say nothing of the directory confusion discussed earlier). I read that the new wxLauncher is going to replace it. Is that true? Can I look forward to it in the near future? Will there be ponies:D

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
There will be a new FSO Installer coming out shortly.

This is good information about the folder names; it is somewhat difficult to control as folder names are up to the individual mod designer.  One way to solve it would be to force all mod folders to be lowercase, but that doesn't account for mod.ini files which may specify uppercase names... hmm.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Anything in mediaVPS_3612 should go into mediavps_3612. And yes, data\movies should be data/movies.

Note that this is a Linux-specific problem, as other operating systems are not as anal about case-sensitivity.

There's actually an option in the WinDOwS registry to enable case-sensitivity.  And an option in *nix systems to disable it.  ;)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
As mod.ini is read by FSO and its utilities, they could lowercase all folder references.  Just sayin'.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Well, for the time being, I suppose I'll just have to continue cleaning up after updating.

Any word on whether symlinks are an appropriate way to get around editing all those mod.ini files?

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Any word on whether symlinks are an appropriate way to get around editing all those mod.ini files?
A symlink will probably work fine, but the issue is mediavps (the 3.6.10 vps) and mediavps_3612 are separate but mostly compatible mods, which means you may need to be able to use the real 3.6.10 vps if you have issues with a mod.

As mod.ini is read by FSO and its utilities, they could lowercase all folder references.  Just sayin'.
To be pedantic, FSO does not read mod.ini (nor does FRED for that matter) only the launchers may.

That being said, it is probably the best option, which IIRC is the same one that FSO internally for finding an asset in the mods folders to attempt to avoid this entire issue.

I read that the new wxLauncher is going to replace it. Is that true? Can I look forward to it in the near future? Will there be ponies:D
There is a new version of Turey's installer that Goober5000 is working on, which will be out fairly soon as Goober already noted.  wxLauncher's install capabilities are quite a while off unfortunately.  Sorry, you missed the ponies, they were here on April 1st, 2011 :D.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Oh! So I need the 3.6.10 mediavps AND the 3.6.12? Okay, now I understand why they made the change. I think I'll just keep them in mediavps_3610 and mediavps_3612, and have my script symlink to the appropriate place before it starts the program.

I look forward to Goober5000's installer. It sounds like it'll be a great asset!

Thanks for being so patient with my questions.  I'm gonna mark the thread [SOLVED] now. Hopefully we can get the ponies into the next release. <3