Poll

Should we keep our models exclusive, or release them to the community?

Keep our assets exclusive - it'll make the final INF release better!
3 (3.6%)
Release assets on a case-by-case basis.
33 (39.8%)
Release any assets we've been sitting on for a while - benefit the whole community.
47 (56.6%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Author Topic: Do you want Inferno to keep its assets exclusive?  (Read 13419 times)

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Re: Do you want Inferno to keep its assets exclusive?
I'm always in favor of releasing assets. It all but eliminates the possibility that those assets will get lost in an unlucky hard drive failure, or loss of cloud storage access, or something.
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
My answer to this question would be "why are you even asking this question?".

HLP has survived and thrived on sharing. It's part of our DNA. Don't be Earth Defense.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline CT27

My answer to this question would be "why are you even asking this question?".

HLP has survived and thrived on sharing. It's part of our DNA. Don't be Earth Defense.

What happened with Earth Defense?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It had a bunch of great assets for a long time but never finished any missions and never released.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Also, sometimes if you release assets a crazy talented mother****er pops up out of nowhere and improves them of his own crazy Canadian volition. That's a lot easier than recruiting.

Seconded. I hate seeing wasted potential, as my history on HLP will show.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I voted for the case-by-case basis, but I was primarily thinking of huge set-pieces like, say, the Nemesis.  If it's a ship on that scale that's a huge focal point of the entire plot, then I have no problem with a team wanting to keep it exclusive (provided there's also a plan in place to release it publicly in the unfortunate event that the project should fold).  Other than that, I think recent history has shown that mostly-open assets tend to provide the most benefit to the community as a whole, and as Battuta noted can even help attract fresh blood to your project.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Is anything happening on this front Lepanto? It's been about a month and a half so the poll has had plenty of time to run course.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
Is anything happening on this front Lepanto? It's been about a month and a half so the poll has had plenty of time to run course.

It turns out you don't actually need to spend effort making a separate assets release when you're about to release the whole thing anyway!
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

So, does that mean this release includes all the content that has been dropped over the years? Just asking cause I've seen quite a lot of screeens of ships which disappeared over time. (Not to mention the INFASA stuff)

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
What assets are you thinking of? I'm not sure if they're even in the current SVN at all, if there are any dropped ships we have they should have been released earlier in the 2011 model dump or something.
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

They are most likely not in the SVN, I was talking about ships posted in the Eyecandy threat IIRC like the SF Danta, the Andra, the Gigas R3, this Atlantis drydock, so mostly older models. Didn't wanted to bother you with that too much now that you've got more important things to do, I was just asking if it could be released if it's still available somewhere.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
It's not going to include all dropped content, obviously.
The majority of the dropped content that is finished has been released in model packs/dumps.
The ones that are unfinished (or otherwise broken) won't be because they are well, unfinished.

Note, I also do not believe this impending release is a release of everything, just the new ACT 1 (portion corresponding to the old INFR1 give or take), and the assets related thereto.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
First release contain 90% of Inferno assets anyway, including multiple shivan ships and lots of other shiny stuff. So maybe it's not everything, but's still more than any other mod ever released. Current Inferno modpack is 8gb of shiny stuff!

As for other dumped assets, some of them are lost due to various reasons. Woo still keep some models on his HD, but many [like this Sobek-esque corvette] are lost forever.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
They are most likely not in the SVN, I was talking about ships posted in the Eyecandy threat IIRC like the SF Danta, the Andra, the Gigas R3, this Atlantis drydock, so mostly older models.
Those are stored in our old SVN, those will be added to the current SVN once the EA war part is over as they are required for later parts of the campaign. Those models haven't been lost and are still appearing. This includes the Danta, Andra, Gigas, Icanus, Yama, Vindhyachal, Incubus, Gargant and the Sechat.

Those aren't dumped they are being held in reserve as we didn't want them used in the earlier Shivan missions by accident.

Current Inferno modpack is 8gb of shiny stuff!
The size is around 4GB I think you included the SVN cache folder for it to hit 8.

Ah, that was the information I was looking for! Thanks!

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
Holy balls the Gargant still exists?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Holy balls the Gargant still exists?

Yesssssss!  Someone use that in a mod.  ;7

I worked on a campaign where I wanted to use the Gargant as ultimate, absolutely undefeatable opponent, but it died before I even registered here for it was too similar to Exile. :(
I even made my own placeholder by editing the pre-R1 Gigas in PCS...

Count me in on anything Inferno-related. I've been waiting for Part 2 since I played through Part 1 all those years ago! And releasing assets to benefit the community lets one show off one's skills, even if it's not in one's own project. IMHO. :P
Stardust, the Sword of Vengeance[A starship combat addict]

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Whole modpack will be released with Act I, including many models not used in Act I but already prepared for Act II. Stay tuned :P. There is no point of releasing everything when Act I is 95% done. We prefer to release the biggest modpack ever made along with campaign :)
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.