Author Topic: Revelation (WIP)  (Read 2610 times)

I made a mission. I was actually trying this time, rather than just screwing around, so there's that. This is intended as the first mission of a campaign called The Mantle, involving a Hammer of Light destroyer lost in Shivan space shortly before the events of FS2.

The mission is...mostly done. I haven't built any fail states yet, and I have a feeling it's a bit (or more) too hard. Also the briefing isn't really in a finished state, and I'm still a bit hazy on some of how directives and objectives work (when they display, mostly). But the meat of the mission is there, and functional.

I built and tested the mission using Blue Planet complete. I think it'll probably work without it, but there'll be some weirdness.

Yes, you're supposed to only have access to the Prom R and Akheton. Be grateful -- I wanted to stick the player in an Anubis. (The campaign is supposed to be sort of a rags-to-riches thing -- you start out with horrendous kit, and end up flying retrofitted Dragons bristling with Kaysers and Trebs.)

On that note, is there any easy way to put FS1 ships into a BP build? I'll need a few of the BP ships for some stuff down the line, but I'd like access to the Anubis, Amun, and Scarab...

Anyway. Try and play it through -- it's mostly balanced for medium -- and give me any thoughts you have, on gameplay or story.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Not sure how to install this - I had the same problem with someone else who posted a .fs2 file. Could you assemble this into a mod package and make the mod dependent on BP? That makes it much easier for the end user.

As it is putting a single .fs2 file in is kind of weird.

As far as I know, you just put it in your missions folder, under data in the FS2 folder. Then you can run it from the mission simulator.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Or if it needs BP Complete put it in BPcomplete/data/missions

Offline HLD_Prophecy

I've done this but can't find the mission in the mission simulator.

hmmmmmmm

I've been keeping it in the main missions folder under data. Put it there, then select bpcomplete as your mod in the launcher.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter

Did you remember to select BP Complete as the active mod? Did you make sure to select the list of single missions instead of the list of campaign missions in the tech room?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Did you remember to select BP Complete as the active mod? Did you make sure to select the list of single missions instead of the list of campaign missions in the tech room?

Yup, BP is selected in the launcher.

EDIT: Oh, there it is. Not sure why I didn't see it before.

Anyway I'll give it a shot! Thanks!

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Oky doky, I'm playing it! Running commentary:

Nice briefing, this guy is giving me chills. "Cleanse the night, warriors." Wow! Never played as the HoL before, this will give your campaign a real unique feel.  :yes:

Oh, that guy is called "Father". Awesome dialogue!

"Purge", not "Destroy". Nice touch, you thought this atmosphere out.

Prometheus R's!  :banghead:

Beta 3 just told me I fight like a Vasudan.  :blah: I thought I was a Vasudan. (Built in messages, I doubt you could fix it without turning them off. It's not a big deal. ;))

Um, actually: Terran Command just sent an "Incoming Jump Signature" message. You might want to turn built-in messages off...

"The profane aboard the Archaeus have been incinerated." :eek2:

I don't think I've ever hit something as maneuverable as a Loki with a Rockeye before...

So long since I heard classic FS2 battle music. The feels, man.

I don't see the Ptolemy, where's the Ptolemy...

I think the Ptolemy didn't arrive at all. :confused:

Gamma wing is here but I can't command them, only Alpha will take orders.

Did you use custom sounds? They're nice! Or is that part of BP?

That's funny, no matter how many times I hit the "Fire" key I keep failing the mission! How can this be? :P

Well, I can't spend all night on it but you've certainly come up with a tough mission! On the whole, great work! A few minor niggles but your work on the dialogue and atmosphere really paid off.

Oky doky, I'm playing it! Running commentary:

Nice briefing, this guy is giving me chills. "Cleanse the night, warriors." Wow! Never played as the HoL before, this will give your campaign a real unique feel.  :yes:

Oh, that guy is called "Father". Awesome dialogue!

"Purge", not "Destroy". Nice touch, you thought this atmosphere out.

Prometheus R's!  :banghead:

I'm actually reasonably certain these are rebalanced to be less useless by BP. If you tried to do this on retail it'd probably be unplayable. I have mixed feelings about that, because I sort of wanted to force the player to use Prom-Rs at the beginning of the campaign precisely because they're useless.

Beta 3 just told me I fight like a Vasudan.  :blah: I thought I was a Vasudan. (Built in messages, I doubt you could fix it without turning them off. It's not a big deal. ;))

Um, actually: Terran Command just sent an "Incoming Jump Signature" message. You might want to turn built-in messages off...

Yeah I'll need to fix that. I figured I'd get things FREDded before I worried too much about that sort of stuff.

Or, possibly, Beta 3 is just being really sarcastic.

"The profane aboard the Archaeus have been incinerated." :eek2:

I don't think I've ever hit something as maneuverable as a Loki with a Rockeye before...

So long since I heard classic FS2 battle music. The feels, man.

I want to replace it with old German hymns and chants eventually, to go with the general apocalyptic themes.

I don't see the Ptolemy, where's the Ptolemy...

I think the Ptolemy didn't arrive at all. :confused:

Lemme check...

Yeah, you're right. The Ptolemy doesn't show up. Let's figure out why...

It looks like the Epiphany isn't warping out for some reason. Either the warpout order isn't taking effect, or it's not finishing its waypoints. Either way, though, the Ptolemy has a separate cue to arrive, and wasn't supposed to be based on the Epiphany warpout event. It must have defaulted to a different event as the arrival cue, which occasionally happens for some reason. As it was, the Ptolemy arrival cue, which is based on the Epiphany docking, sends the message that the Ptolemy has arrived, but the Ptolemy only arrives after the Epiphany departs. So actually, there might be nothing wrong with the Epiphany, since I didn't stick around to see if it would depart after the Ptolemy failed to arrive.

Gamma wing is here but I can't command them, only Alpha will take orders.

That's intended. You're in command of your wing, but not the whole operation. Of course, they do request orders when they show up despite already having instructions hardcoded, which is something else I'll have to fix when I change the standard messages.

Did you use custom sounds? They're nice! Or is that part of BP?

Not sure what you mean specifically, but it'll be from BP. I didn't change anything.

That's funny, no matter how many times I hit the "Fire" key I keep failing the mission! How can this be? :P

Huh? I was able to complete the mission just fine. ...after like ten tries. On Very Easy.

Why did I do this?

Anyway, did the Cambyses leave the repair station successfully? Did the corvette arrive?

Well, I can't spend all night on it but you've certainly come up with a tough mission! On the whole, great work! A few minor niggles but your work on the dialogue and atmosphere really paid off.

I'm actually really glad the atmospheric stuff worked. I wasn't sure if it was too over-the-top.

I want to have custom messages for all the wingmen. (I also want to have Command renamed to whatever the cult leader guy ends up being named. I don't have a name for him yet because I suck at Vasudan names, and also at all other names.) Actually, since they're not actually speaking English anyway, I might be able to put together some "voice acting" by layering text-to-speech stuff (ideally with a better program than the one the game uses by default) over existing Vasudan soundclips, provided those clips can be removed from the translated dialogue, or if somebody has untranslated Vasudan speech files on hand.

I wanted to have custom wing names, too -- have the player/ally wings be the Zodiac, with GTVA squads being Greek letters and Shivan wings being the FS1 Hindu stuff -- but apparently the game doesn't let you name the player wing as anything but Alpha, Beta, or Gamma. I'm guessing there's probably a workaround, though.

EDIT: aaaaaugh the blue text it's so unreadable
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 04:15:31 am by Kestrellius »

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Yeah, the Prometheus R's definitely work for what you're trying to do. they're just frustrating to use, but like you said that's the point. :P

Basically what happened to me is that the Epiphany would offload its assault team, it would back away but then get destroyed, and the Cambyses would turn to my side, but the Ganymede would remain indestructible so the Cambyses never left and I would just face endless waves of enemies.

Hey, the whole HoL is over the top. I think that bombastic, dramatic, apocalyptic attitude is definitely what you want, and you pulled it off to a T. :D