Author Topic: Support ships, and texture replacement  (Read 1425 times)

Support ships, and texture replacement
Two questions. One: I'd like to replace the default support ship (the Nephthys) with a different one (a custom version of the Scarab). How do I do this? Do I need to alter the mission files in a text editor?

Two: I have a bunch of custom HoL ships. They have certain textures replaced via the texture-replace parameter in the table. This works fine, except that if the player chooses a different ship than the default (for himself or any of his wingmen), that ship then uses the default textures. The original ships are not available in the loadout. Also, the modified textures appear in the ship and weapon select screens, just not in-game in these cases.

Is there a way to fix this, or will I just have to put up with it/modify the .pof files?

Re: Support ships, and texture replacement
Guys? You there?

I'd really like these questions answered, if anybody knows...

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
There is only one possible Support ship per race afaik.

You have to set the right one in the ships.tbl with the "support" flag, then it is used by default in the game.

For the second problem... maybe the solution is also the ships.tbl?
You could add ships (for example 'PVF Seth#HoL) that are using the other textures by default and instead of the normal PVF Seth, you make the PVF Seth#HoL in the mission available for player use.
The same concept like the GTD Orions with predefined nameplates in the FSPort.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 08:00:03 am by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Ah, so that's how it's done. Thanks!

That's close what I'm doing -- I'm not using texture replacement in each mission, because that would take forever. There's a texture-replacement entry in ships.tbl that I'm using on my HoL versions. It seems to operate on the same principle as in-mission texture replacement, though, since it does the same weird thing where you don't see the textures change until you've saved for some reason. The HoL versions aren't using the new textures by default, though; to do that, I'm guessing I'd have to go into the .pof files. That said, so far everything else has proven to be far easier than I expected, so maybe I should just open up the .pof editor and get to it.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Ah yes, i misunderstood your first posting. You already do that with the complete new ship classes.

Then i do not know why this happens. Because i have used this feature only on non-player ships. And there i had never a problem with it.

Are the correct textures present if you use these ships in the mission, you can not change via the loadout screen? Even it is suprisingly that the right textures are shown there but not in the mission.

Well another workaround i can think of, is the use of mission events for that. You could try events that changes the texture on all ships of a given class if a specific ship class is present or used.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 08:21:03 am by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Basically, if you just go right into the mission without changing your loadout, it works fine. Even if you change your weapons, it works fine. The issue only shows up if you change a default ship to a different ship. Then the different ship that you changed to doesn't have the new textures.

I'll have to check to see what happens if you switch one of the default ships to a different squadmate.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
I also would want to mention that I don't really think most of Zod fighters got alternate HoL textures. I think Thoth, Sekhmet and maybe Anubis (?) had those, just as Aten and Typhon ships.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

You think they did get them, or you think they didn't? If they did, I wasn't able to find them anywhere in the various FSPort files, unlike the Typhon and Aten...

Oh, and I got the support ship working. Thanks, Nova. Although it, too, doesn't show the replacement textures. I have figured out (I think) how to work with PCS2, though, so putting together the new versions properly should just be a bit of work.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
I think only fighters that have a second set of textures (HoL faction) are Sekhmet, Thoth, and possibly Anubis.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.