Author Topic: Games that wowed you  (Read 23276 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
hmmmm, a thought has struck me here, we are missing a series and i am just a guilty as anyone on this and when i think about it they all wowed me and that is the MechWarrior games, i mean any of them did it, just the thought of thundering around in a 30+ foot robot armed to the teeth, then the graphics in the later ones were plain and simple winners
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
"Roger that, Lance Leader. Transferring now."
"We have arrived and are ready to deploy."
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Aside from roughly 85% of the playerbase, Soldat is made of complete win.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
* Androgeos Exeunt is wondering if Stargunner wowed him... :doubt:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

If you have to wonder, it didn't.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
If you have to wonder, it didn't.

In retrospect, it didn't really impress me as much as Jets'n'Guns did, and given that games like Carmageddon could exist for MS-DOS...
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Three games that really wowed me.  First one is old, second just got its third, kickass expansion, and third one is old, and has never been successfully replicated.

First one was Privateer 2.  From the FMV cutscenes, to the 3d graphics, to its massive size on three CD's, plus its cool menus with liquid buttons and wide ship and component selection and the free-ranging areas you could fly in, it hooked me with I was a little child and hasn't let go of me.  Its a shame you need DOSBox to run and install it though.

Second is Sword of the Stars.  I pirated it when it first came out was bored, deleted it, pirated it again when the first expansion was released, deleted it again, did the same for the second expansion, except instead of just deleting it I deleted it then bought it off Impulse when the Ultimate Collection was released that had the game and both expansions, and I just bought the third expansion, Argos Naval Yards, which has some cool new toys for you to use in your quest for galactic power.  It has excellent AI, a rich and complex backstory, unique and different races, plus it has some of the best combat I've ever seen in any strategy game.  It just rocks.

Third is Total Annihilation.  Realistic LoS and weapon modelling (terrain WILL block your LoS and weapons fire), excellent explosions, plus it has unit variety that puts Supreme Commander to shame, and its only real successor is Spring, which doesn't quite have the same charm as TA does.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
TA another game i forgot about lost untold hours to that single and multi-playing that game and one of the first games to have hundreds of units per side
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!
TA another game i forgot about lost untold hours to that single and multi-playing that game and one of the first games to have hundreds of units per side

Until some fraker comes along with a nuke and ruins all the run!!!

I actually lost many hours on Starfleet academy. But, me thinks people have mixed views on that game!

Dont suppose anyone here remembers: Bedlam -was a good laugh

But the all time fav (when in two player) WORMS!!!!!! Soo much fun, bazooka, grenades, mines, dynamite, holy grenades, flying sheep, with good auld dodger, clanger, basher, wimpsy, Tykes, ahhhhhhhhhhhh memories
In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.

Offline dragonsniper

• Master of the Irrelevant
    • Steam
FreeSpace, FreeSpace2, FSO and several others. I'm just to lazy to think about them right now. :doubt:
Do or do not, there is no try...
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The original Unreal wowed me at the time, and the first Unreal Tournament, but it went downhill from there in my opinion.

Offline dragonsniper

• Master of the Irrelevant
    • Steam
I played part of the original Unreal also. Not all that bad... Call of duty 4 really wowed me, as did GTA 4 (the whole go everywhere that you want really surprised me.)
Do or do not, there is no try...
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
anyone played twinsen's odyssey?  :cool:
el hombre vicio...

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I played part of the original Unreal also. Not all that bad... Call of duty 4 really wowed me, as did GTA 4 (the whole go everywhere that you want really surprised me.)

Oddly enough I have to give that accolade to GTA3, which was a pretty crappy game in most other respects (though I rather liked the story too, at the time).
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

That was the one with the nurb people and the guard boss who ***** slapped you in a cinematic when you got caught, right?

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

I only eva played the second game didnt wow me but a cool game.

on a similar track anyone eva plat Simon the Sorcerer 1 or 2 (3 was utter pants and neva should  have been released)

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
But the all time fav (when in two player) WORMS!!!!!! Soo much fun, bazooka, grenades, mines, dynamite, holy grenades, flying sheep, with good auld dodger, clanger, basher, wimpsy, Tykes, ahhhhhhhhhhhh memories

Concrete Donkey. Best by far.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

That was the one with the nurb people and the guard boss who ***** slapped you in a cinematic when you got caught, right?

don't know.. I played LBA 2 so maybe you are talking about the first version, on the second the guy had a magic rubber ball which he used to smack enemies down and pretty much anything in the game.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Mika

How come I forgot about WORMS? That game (the original) was a blast with friends. It always seemed they were more lucky with the combination of bazooka and wind, or grenades and correct angles than me!

The other especially fun multiplayer game was still is Molez. Four players using a single keyboard in a real time worms -type of game guaranteed fun. Especially if you were better or smarter. The survival strategy was to never get between a couple of other players at the bottom of the screen basically anywhere. And those molez really started to bleed when they were hit bad, actually so much it was possible to use it as a temporary wall.
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
How about Hogs of War? I really miss that game.

I still have it, but the CD is corrupted. :(
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]