Author Topic: Games that wowed you  (Read 23061 times)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: Games that wowed you
In chronological order:
Call Of Duty 4, Homeworld, Clive Barker's Undying, FS2, Total Annihilation, Prince of Persia.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins
Homeworld.

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Offline Roanoke

Super Probotecter/Contra (SNES) - when Sprite-Rotation and >256-ish colours really mattered!
F-Zero (SNES)- What was it called ? "mode 7" ?
StarFox/Starwing (SNES) - Proper 3D, years ahead of it's time.
Wipeout - PS1 "cool" personified.
Gran Turismo (PS1)- Epic making in it's day. Redefined the racing game genre.

That's all I can think of for now.
Not quite on topic but sneaking into the over 18s arcade to play Sega Rally and Daytona was cool.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Homeworld, yeah.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Ico

Beyond Good & Evil

Final Fantasy VI

Metal Gear Solid

Half-Life

Shadow of the Colossus
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 04:10:52 pm by redsniper »
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
ohh how could I have forgotten these!!: Dungeon Keeper 1 & Dungeon Keeper 2.

I should burn in hell for that.
el hombre vicio...

Offline bloated

I bought Homeworld about 7 years ago but never played it until last year.

it was indeed an excellent game.... now I wish I had played all of them although from what I've read the stories were never as good as the first.

Offline Mikes

Forgot that earlier, Homeworld 1/2 are definitely noteworthy as well, as are Ground Control 1/2 for outstanding and innovative contributions to the RTS genre. Even World in Conflict, while less complex than GC, for offering such a playable twist on RTS multiplayer.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Homeworld 1 was superb, until you realized how to break the game into Grand Theft Starship. (Which, while fun as all hell, sort of ruined the epic scale and immersion when you view attacking fleets as a means to bulk up yours.) Catacylsm was actually the best of the series in my opinion, as it never had the opportunity to go crazy on you like HW1 could (the final battle frequently liked to do this if you stole too many Ion Frigates earlier) and HW2 always did with its adaptive difficulty bull****.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Has anyone had luck running HW2 on Windows 7or Vista?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yes. On Vista, anyway. Have to try it on 7.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
What did you do?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
On 7, running it in XP SP2 compatibility mode with admin rights worked (note that you have to mark that checkbox specifically). ISTR that this worked the same way on Vista, as well.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
7 64-Bit? I tried that exactly, and no dice. Apparently you have to patch it, patch a copy on a virtual machine, and then copy the files from the virtual as the patch doesn't work right. Then you have to use a German No-CD.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 08:22:35 pm by colecampbell666 »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Ooops. No, i used 7 x86. That was pretty painless, all things considered.

Offline Mikes

Has anyone had luck running HW2 on Windows 7or Vista?

mh didn't notice any issues at all in Vista64. Even got it to run in widescreen with the -w1920 -h1200 commandline options.

Offline Axem

FF6: Without sounding too much like a out of context advertising quote, just about the most cinematic game to grace the SNES. I loved how everyone got their own deep story and a moment to shine in it. The way the story unfolded too, like when the party gets split into 3. You could have easily just had the whole party go through 3 short arcs and then go to Narshe. But it just felt awesome to reunite them all and take on the Empire. And then there's the Opera House. Epic.

Ocarina of Time: While I had experienced Super Mario 64 before, Ocarina of Time was a lot more immersive. It felt like a real breathing world. People moving around, shops closed at night, the drawbridge opening and closing. The dungeons were just fun to go through, and the bosses even more (Except the Water Dungeon. Damn it to hell!). It all felt like out of a movie.

Shadow of the Colossus: Not quite sure how to describe this, other than epic. Epic in the grand sense (epic in the omfgepic sense too of course). There's nothing else in that game other than you, your horse and the Colossi. Normally this would be boring, but once you get into it, it just seems natural. And when you're fighting the Colossi, wow. That's how boss fights should all be.

Deus Ex: Took some time to get into, but once I was there, I was there. I think it all clicked that this was totally awesome when I first woke up in the MJ12 facility and Daedelus tells me he's going to break me out. I think my favorite bit about it all was the AIs. If there ever anything that creeped me out, it was Icarus trying to contacting me (ICARUSHASFOUNDYOU x 100). Also walking into the VersaLife building, and seeing that Globe with the Hand as seen in the intro. Wow.

Offline eliex

SW: Battlefront II - Although old, this game when played on the computer is unbelievably fun with over 50 units in the game at the present time. The multiplayer area is filled with excitement and tension. Only shelved the game a short time ago.

Battle for Middle-Earth I: In my opinion, still better than BFM2, this really brings to light the universe of LoTR. The campaign is the highlight while the multiplayer side is rather unbalanced towards the Mordor faction. It is very immersive and the graphics were excellent for that time.

Age of Mythology-The Titans: Possibly the best game from the Age of Empires series even if it is a spin-off. The Fall of the Trident campaign is exceptionally good with a very good plot and voice-acting. The implemenation of special abilities granted by relics granted a wider range of strategies.

Corncob3D - First flight sim I played, and probably my first 3D game. No textures, just plain colours and running on DOS in 1992. Absolute blast, though. I think it was pretty much the reason I got a joystick back then. Also, it had permanent death, which is not something that has been explored overly well in flight/space sims. Getting downed behind enemy lines meant humping it back to your airstrip with nought but a pistol and a map, and there was really a sense of urgency to save your veteren pilot for another purple heart.

Fury3 - My first space sim. The first computer game I actually put on my christmas list too, I think. Played it with an ancient joystick on a machine that could barely handle it, but it sure was fun. Debris and particles were great, and following your spiraling, stricken enemies down through cloud cover until they slammed into the terrain below was an extremely rewarding experience.

Wing Commander - I didn't really play this a great deal - a friend of mine had a copy, so we used to just fly around a bit whenever I went over to his. I picked it up again years later in DOSBOX and it definitely was still a blast.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - A game with a storyline! Unheard of! I'm pretty ashamed to say I needed a walkthrough for the Water Temple. I still stand by this being the best RPG ever created.

Diablo2 - I didn't play this until years after it came out, and it really blew me away. The art and atmosphere was fantastic, there was very little grinding in the single-player campaign, and the story was engaging. It was really the dark, melancholic feel of the game that hooked me, though. When I got to the end of the first act and the sight of the tortured-to-death-and-forgotten corpses in the Monastry didn't even phase me, I knew I'd been playing too long.

Freespace2 - Now, the order of things here was weird. I bought a new joystick - a Wingman Force 3D - though I have absolutely no idea why. I knew of no decent space sims at the time, and wasn't interested in flight sims. It came with a copy of Freespace2:The Colossus though, which I almost didn't install. I think I ended up playing through that demo 20 times before I managed to track down a copy of the full game. It's worth noting that a mate of mine bought me a boxed FS1 with manual after he stumbled across it in a second hand bargain bin for AU$6. People just don't know the value of what they sell.

Nothing's really "blown me away" in recent times, though. There are plenty of games I've had fun with, certainly, but nothing that I'd expect to be looking at through rose tinted goggles in ten year's time.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Duke Nukem 3d (and when I was even younger than that, Duke Nukem 2, the VGA, 2d, dos, platform game)

Doom 1&2

Freespace 2

StarCraft

Half life 1

Red Alert 2

Master of Orion 1 - sure it had somewhat pixellated 2d dos graphics, but I had a lot of fun with it over the years. It was simple enough to get into after a few run throughs, but it was sophisticated enough to keep me interested for years. If you used your imagination a bit to flesh out the story, particularly for the epic fleet battles (especially the ones that turned the tide of whatever war you're in), it really was a blast.

Deus Ex (the original) - conspiracy theories woven into a sophisticated storyline combined with innovative gameplay makes this one of my all time favorites. It was long, so perhaps it should have been split up into 2 or 3 games to provide for even more depth, such as increased involvement with x-51, and missions to texas (which is a warzone between the US and Mexico in the story) and the moon. Those things were originally planned but canned or scaled back because of time constraints. Would have been awesome if they were included. What was even more of a shame was the badly botched sequel, while IW was a mediocre game on its own, compared to the original it was such an Epic Fail.

Halo 2 - played it with one of my then co-workers on his x box 360. Was awesome.

honorable mentions:
Sin (the original) - this game was a lot of fun, but it was rushed and sadly that shows up too many times ranging from sudden and random CTD's to enemies who repeat exactly the same line over and over. Other than those things, it was one of the more enjoyable games I've played so it gets a runner up prize.

Halo 1 - It was a very good game, but other than vehicle driving (which was then a seldom seen feature on PC shooters) and an awesome backstory, the sequel outshined it in everyway (except the grenades were too greatly weakened).

Games I want to play but can't because even in 2009 I still don't have a good enough computer for it:
Doom 3 & resurrection of evil
Half Life 2 & episodes
C&C 3
FarCry 1 & 2
Halo 3 (no longer have access to previously mentioned other persons' x box)
StarCraft 2 (when it is released.....still won't have a computer good enough to play it)
T-72: Balkans on fire
F.E.A.R.
Call of Duty 2,3,&4
World in Conflict
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 02:59:30 am by Kosh »
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key