Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 573317 times)

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
That's a good idea, but in this case all we need is a mod with just 1 single base class edit that will make the terrain infinitely more interesting.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/827699-mountain-generator-minecraft-125/page__st__80

Problem is mods like that need a little more time to update and the server is already being built on (terrain mods need a fresh reset to look good)...so you would need to convince qaz to delay.

Once again, that is not bukkit compatable, and as such will never be used. If you are unwilling to look on bukkitdev to find things that can be used, then kindly stop begging for things that won't happen.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
What's the current status of the old world?
Backed up and ready to set up a torrent, still trying to figure out best way of doing so though.
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Do I need to request whitelisting on the new server, or will I have to wait till it goes public?

Offline Lixquid

Just thinking about all that history being reset brings a tiny man-tear to my eye. I still remember the day that I stroked the server's heat sink.. which turned out to be some other random component. Oh well.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Do I need to request whitelisting on the new server, or will I have to wait till it goes public?
It will go public very soon.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

What's the current status of the old world?
Backed up and ready to set up a torrent, still trying to figure out best way of doing so though.
Just out of curiosity, roughly how large is the data for the old Gargamel? 
Find me as Hojo Norem elsewhere...

butter_pat_head... a name picked in sheer desperation more than 10 years ago from some super obscure Red Dwarf reference.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Note to self: always know what you're stroking.

While we're on the subject, was anyone still thinking about possibly hosting the old map for nostalgia's sake, even on an intermittent basis?  I might be interested in giving it a shot myself, if I can pick Flipside's brain and pore over his trials over the past week.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

IIRC it's in the dozens of GB neighborhood.

While we're on the subject, was anyone still thinking about possibly hosting the old map for nostalgia's sake, even on an intermittent basis?  I might be interested in giving it a shot myself, if I can pick Flipside's brain and pore over his trials over the past week.

I think we're still hoping to have the old map available via portal in read-only mode or something. Not sure what the latest is in that regard though.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft

IIRC it's in the dozens of GB neighborhood.

I think we're still hoping to have the old map available via portal in read-only mode or something. Not sure what the latest is in that regard though.
Damnit sandwich that was meant to be a surprise :P , getting the configs sorted for that is whats taking us so long.
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
Once again, that is not bukkit compatable, and as such will never be used. If you are unwilling to look on bukkitdev to find things that can be used, then kindly stop begging for things that won't happen.

Bukkit modifies every single base class?

Also, "begging?"
All my ideas have been posted as suggestions.
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam

Bukkit modifies every single base class?

Also, "begging?"
All my ideas have been posted as suggestions.

You were already told no, and you're pushing again. You're begging. For a 3rd time now, no, that plugin will not be used as it is not bukkit. This is not up for discussion, this is not up for vote, your continued pushing for it will not change anything. It will not be used.

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
Told no by you not by qaz, and I can ignore you since you don't run the server.
When Australia burned.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Told no by you not by qaz, and I can ignore you since you don't run the server.

As a matter of fact, I run this server alongside Qaz and Sandwich. Qaz has already agreed that non-bukkiit is a no go. It will not happen.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 08:20:48 pm by KyadCK »

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
<.< should have just said that earlier and saved us the trouble of this conversation then.
When Australia burned.

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Alright, so here's what's happening.

New world once 1.3 comes out.

This world will be completely fresh, here's what's going to happen.
  • Fenris will be copied over and placed in the end
  • Everyone will be in survival mode, admins and mods will be free to change, but we shall no longer be giving out creative, the disparity has gotten rediculous
  • I will be offering admin rights to sandwich and Kyad, sandwich has been a HLP admin since the beginning (I think?)and has been one of the most active people on the server and Kyad already admins a much larger OCN server and knows what he's doing.
  • these admin rights will include full control over the server, the right to install plugins, restart the server and FTP access and whatnot.
  • I will not be looking for replacement admins if Kyad or sandwich feel that they don't have the time or otherwise do not accept the position
  • All current admins will remain admins, yes, I was trolling with the "mura is now an admin!" thing, but he's a cool dude and actually will get all the powers. (and the getting drunk with his wife in a hotel room thing was true too)
  • We may or may not be using warp plugins, this is yet to be decided.
  • I will not be copying over any other projects from the old server, Fenris is a special case, as it has been in construction for over a year, and has had work done to it by many, many members of the server.
  • What I will be doing is setting up a full copy, config files and all of the current server as a torrent. My VPS (currently hosting mumble) will be used as a seedbox. Direct downloads are out of the question, as the server totals several gigabytes.
  • If anyone wants to host the old world, feel free, the torrent will be a fully working copy of the server bar except for a working mysql configuration for logblock, as this will be used on the new world.
  • The new server will also come with slightly stricter rules which will be detailed in the following list.

New Rules

• Don't be a dick (this applies to admins too, post in here if any **** goes down, I won't have discussions in private, things should be run openly)
  • Check with whoever is building nearby if it's okay to build near them, either on this thread or in game. (Looking at you Trashman, don't want any of that **** again) ):<
  • as an addition to this rule, if you don't want anyone building nearby, ask an admin about setting up a worldguard region.
  • Unless specified, (aka, freebuild areas) PLEASE keep to the building style of nearby things.  If you don't like the style, find somewhere else to build, you've got enough room. This was actually a rule on the original server, back in the days when it was hosted in a shoebox underneath rhx123's bed. (I'm not even joking, it was on a Intel Atom running windows XP with 512MB of ram and an ADSL internet connection) but pretty much went to **** straight away and that's how we ended up with the hodgepodge that is spawntown
  • Spawn will have a worldguard region, players will have to build further out

Any questions? I shall also be amending the original post

From almost a month ago now.

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
x.X this is the internet, short-term memory only lasts 2 weeks max. Especially when the subject isn't very important.
When Australia burned.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something

Well...that's certainly a surprise. :D

For what it's worth, I did ask a server admin on another forum of mine what his experience was with actively running Multiverse, since I think his server has a few different maps going.  From what he said, Multiverse by itself wasn't too hard to manage (the Portals add-on is where things turned into a real mess), and he didn't experience much in the way of issues resource-wise until about 7 or 8 maps at once.  However, he did say he could understand why an admin wouldn't want to implement it.  Whatever way you guys are handling this is fine by me. :yes:

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
Hmms will chests and mob farms still work in the old read-only world? Hostile mobs don't matter so much if you wanna disable those, but would be nice if I could still make use of my iron golem and breeding farms. And access to our chests will allow us to rebuild without having to go completely back to the stone age.
When Australia burned.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Hmms will chests and mob farms still work in the old read-only world? Hostile mobs don't matter so much if you wanna disable those, but would be nice if I could still make use of my iron golem and breeding farms. And access to our chests will allow us to rebuild without having to go completely back to the stone age.
Inventories would be separate between worlds.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
Aw damn :(

Ah well still good to have the old map so I can expand on the old designs at least.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 07:01:39 am by Grimper »
When Australia burned.