Off-Topic Discussion > General Discussion

*SPOILER THREAD* Star Wars: The Last Jedi

(1/151) > >>

Sandwich:
SPOILERS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Ok, I'll ramp up to the more major spoilers further down, as a precaution, but that still means I'll be starting with minor spoilers. ;)

I loved the movie overall... 8/10. It was oddly long, and—unlike most good movies that are well over 2 hours—it felt long as well. That's not a bad thing since it's a great movie IMO, but there were just numerous "end sequences" where I thought (or feared for a cliff-hanger) it could have been the end, but it just kept going, LotR:RotK-style.

However, one thing that kept throwing me for a loop (or a literal facepalm) was those nonsensical bits where they disregard gravity and/or inertia. I mean, did nobody learn from Gravity (2013) and its casual disregard for orbital physics? It's not as if those laser shots during that movie-long chase sequence needed to have a ballistic trajectory for plot purposes. And those retarded bombers—kudos to them for making them Falcon-esque in size so as to carry a significant payload, but why no maneuverability whatsoever??—"dropping" their payload? As-in, opening the doors at bottom and letting that handy outer-space GRAVITY do the rest?? And why did their bombs have to be armed while still inside the blasted bombers? Even today's torpedoes and whatnot automatically arm a ways after exiting the launch tubes... And when that med-ship ran out of fuel, why did it suddenly run out of inertia as well??? *shakes head*

Don't get me wrong. Those are three issues that have either no effect, or very minor effect, on the story overall. But then again, that's just the point... why leave such inconsistencies in there when it wouldn't have taken much at all to fix them? The ballistic laser bolts didn't need to be ballistic. The bombs, instead of dropping with gravity-like acceleration towards the target, could have been launched out via active methods. And that med-ship running out of fuel could have meant its shields dropped, leaving it vulnerable to the faster fighters or something.

Anyway... on to the good stuff.

I liked that they finally showed Star Wars capital ships as having actual shields that block turbolaser shots. I know they had the planetary shield in Rogue One, but that was, well, planetary. IIRC this was a first for SW capships.

I liked that bit where BB-8 dropped down into his compartment in the X-wing to fix stuff. It always seemed a bit odd that R2 was able to conveniently fix everything from the outside of the ship.

MORE MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD.

Snoke - I did not see that coming.

I liked how there were bits of the movie where we actually thought Kylo was coming around.

I get that Luke was drained from what he did, but why did that have to mean: Spoiler:that he had to fade from existence? Couldn't he have just slept it off? I mean, now that leaves us with Ep 9 having no Han, no Leia, and no Luke.
When did you pick up that Luke at the end Spoiler:wasn't actually there? I latched onto it the moment we saw his beard, since I'd noticed the difference between his beard "now," on the island, vs his beard in the Kylo Ren flashbacks. Thankfully, by the time he got out the door and faced off with what Kylo sent his way, I had kinda forgotten my suspicion, so I got the full "whoa... he's a bad-ass!" feeling shortly thereafter, which was fun.

From the last trailer, I was afraid the Porgs (those little bird things) were going to have an Ewok-level amount of involvement in the film. I always felt the Ewoks fit just fine, because they weren't utter nincompoops like the Gungans. But the Porgs seemed very Gungan-y from that trailer, and while they were indeed Gungan-y, their part was sufficiently minor that it didn't bother me much at all.

Jumping to lightspeed when there are obstacles in the way is very... effective. The entire audience gasped at that part. Very well done.

Poe taking out those turrets single-handedly was kinda silly TBH. Had he been a Jedi, ok, perhaps, but "just" as a great pilot? Ehh...

Finally... ok, so they're on the run and being actively chased by a fleet of Star Destroyers and whatnot. They call Maz up for some help, and she's like "Go to find so-and-so on this planet to help you sneak about that ship THAT'S RIGHT ON YOUR FREAKING TAIL AND CONSTANTLY BOMBARDING YOU WITH LAZOR BOLTZ BECAUSE THAT MAKES SENSE." That part bugged the heck outta me TBH. In no way did I feel like they had the free time to go on a jaunt like that considering their predicament at the time. I mean, that must have been some cruiser they had to take a constant pounding like that for what, 24-36 hours?, without losing shields? What was that ship in OH ANY SPACE BATTLE ANYWHERE??

*grumble grumble*

Still, solid 8/10. Good show, chaps!

Discuss.

Det. Bullock:
The point was that the guns on the First Order fleet weren't quite in range so they couldn't damage the ship shields faster than they could recharge and the cruiser was fast enough to keep them at a distance.

I was able to see it in english and I liked it a lot.

potterman28wxcv:
I'm already half spoiled by the french title.. with "the last jedi", you don't know if it's singular or plural. In French, you have to specify whether it's singular or plural. They chose plural.

Sandwich:

--- Quote from: potterman28wxcv on December 14, 2017, 05:10:27 pm ---I'm already half spoiled by the french title.. with "the last jedi", you don't know if it's singular or plural. In French, you have to specify whether it's singular or plural. They chose plural.

--- End quote ---

The funny thing is about that, is that it's both misdirection and utterly irrelevant. :)

manwiththemachinegun:
The Last Jedi, for those that have played the games, and the ST in general is what Obsidian's Sith Lords was to Bioware's Knights of the Old Republic.

It's a deconstruction, but also a reconstruction, of many of the series' sacred cows, and how much we THINK we know about its characters and themes.

Like, there are so many lines from Kreia that just absolute dig into what this film is about:

--- Quote ---Sion: The failure is yours. No longer do your whispers crawl within my skull, no longer do we suffer beneath teachings that weaken us. And now you run in search of the Jedi... They are all dead, save one. And one broken Jedi cannot stop the darkness which is to come.
Kreia: Perhaps... We shall see.

Atton Rand: The Jedi... The Sith... You don't get it, do you? To the Galaxy, they're the same thing: Men and women with too much power, squabbling over religion, while the rest of us burn!

Vrook: You were deafened.
Kreia: At last you could hear.
Kavar: You were broken.
Kreia: You were whole.
Zez-Kai-Ell: You were blinded.
Kreia: And at last, you saw.

Kreia: A culture's teachings, and most importantly, the nature of its people, achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking. Too long did the Republic remain unchallenged. It is a stagnant beast that labors for breath; and has for centuries. The Jedi Order was the heart that sustained its sickness — now the Jedi are lost, we shall see how long the Republic can survive.

Kreia: You see, the war, the true war, has never been one waged by droids, warships, or soldiers. They are but crude matter, obstacles against which we test ourselves. The true war is waged in the hearts of all living things, against our own natures, light or dark. That is what shapes and binds this galaxy, not these creations of man. You are the battleground. And if you fall, the death of the Republic will be such a quiet thing, a whisper, that shall herald the darkness to come.

--- End quote ---

I can easily see this being a film that splits the fandom in two. Those that wanted just "more of the originals" and those who wanted something new.

The characters are all treated with the respect they were due, even if what they did with them was controversial.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version