Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 617983 times)

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Re: What are you playing right now?
I saved scum through my first playthrough on XCOM
Because why not
"No"

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
about to start bioshock infinite.

something that has been bugging me recently:  why does every game assume it's the first one you've ever installed, and automatically re-install direct X?  it doesn't ever ask if you have it installed, it doesn't check to see, it just installs it.  presumably overwriting the install already there.  and i get to stare at the screen for 5-10 minutes while it thinks.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm pretty sure that the DirectX installer doesn't actually go through the whole installation process if it sees your existing copy is up-to-date, and that it's just confirming as much when that window pops up.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
well it takes a really damn long time to do it then. 

Offline Patriot

Never takes longer than 10 seconds for me, oddly enough.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
about to start bioshock infinite.

something that has been bugging me recently:  why does every game assume it's the first one you've ever installed, and automatically re-install direct X?  it doesn't ever ask if you have it installed, it doesn't check to see, it just installs it.  presumably overwriting the install already there.  and i get to stare at the screen for 5-10 minutes while it thinks.

The reason for this is MS' licensing, and their refusal to treat DirectX as part of the OS for updating purposes.

That means that every DX game has to ship the version of DirectX it's built to run on (There are several versions of DX9c, all slightly different), and run the installer to make sure that everything is in place. The installer itself does several things, it checks all DX files for integrity as well as copying and registering the new dlls (if any). This will take time (Less when using SSDs).

It's just part of the price you have to pay to be part of the PC GAMING MASTER RACE. If you want to just play games, come on over to the console side.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page
Been playing Ys I (the Steam Chronicles version)... grrr... the freaking Final Boss pisses me off. (I get more salt rubbed in because even the PSP Chronicles version made me its ***** on that part. And it took me about fifteen times to get it right, all out of blind luck.)

Also, FTL: Faster Than Light. I learned something today: never make me a captain/controlling essence of a starship. (Frequently, my Flight Officer gets killed first, which means I'm doing it wrong. The longest run I managed had the Shield Operator dead before the jump that blew up my ship.)
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Playing Panzer Corps Grand Campaign DLCs, stukas and artillery for everyone!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
T-80U.

At least until the Super Etenard headshot descends upon them.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Monster Life was introduced in MapleSEA earlier this week, and I've been playing it to bits. Time sink in a time sink indeed.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
My X-COM install has been screwed up. I am currently scared out of my wits I'm going to lose the LP game or possibly need to reformat my hard drive entirely.

A Feddie Story

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Surely that's overkill, yeah? Shouldn't using Steam's "check integrity" function un-screw the install?

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Surely that's overkill, yeah? Shouldn't using Steam's "check integrity" function un-screw the install?

That's a good theory, what concerns me is A: that function often deletes local content and B: reasons the install could be screwed up encompass a complete failure of my AV program and malicious code having snuck in.

A Feddie Story

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I've never seen it delete savefiles and such though. Also, isn't that something steam cloud is supposed to take care of? Unless you've done some .ini modding (in which case you'd just have to save that thing somewhere), everything should be fine.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Find your savefiles and copy paste them somewhere

That'd solve that
"No"

Offline Patriot

having a serious ball in level 4 german planes in Historical Battle with WarThunder :)

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
just finished bioshock infinite. 

...... eh.  the story really wasn't that good.  it tried way too hard at being all trippy and inception-y.  didn't execute particularly well.  overall, less fun to play than the previous two. 

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
just finished bioshock infinite. 

...... eh.  the story really wasn't that good.  it tried way too hard at being all trippy and inception-y.  didn't execute particularly well.  overall, less fun to play than the previous two.

I think you need to play it again.  There are a lot of layers to the narrative that are easily missed in the first playthrough, and it seems that you missed some.

And generally-speaking, I found the gameplay quite a bit more interesting than the first two games.  The addition of a third dimension of movement, a helpful companion, and the variety of the vigor combinations - not to mention the challenge added by making do with the weapons you find and find ammo for - made it definitely more challenging.  I think there were some missed opportunities with the 'tear' mechanic, but the gameplay as pretty strong (although perhaps not the best genre to tell this particular story).
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I am currently alternating between Bastion and Thief 2, both of which are excellent and engaging.

Except - Bastion, why the **** do you ALSO have the terrible autosave mechanic?  FFS, DEVELOPERS, SOME OF US HAVE LIVES OUTSIDE OF GAMING AND WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO QUIT WITHOUT LOSING SIGNIFICANT PROGRESS BETWEEN SESSIONS!  The reason we've always had hard saves is because it made sense.  Quit trying to reinvent the goddamned wheel.

Here's a thought:  a few games now have a system where you can freely quicksave outside of combat.  That works - no save-scumming within combat, but you don't have to replay 20 minutes of no-combat choices (these are RPGs, after all) because you screwed up a combat section.

Aspiring HLP game developers, take note.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Quit trying to reinvent the goddamned wheel.
You've obviously never tried to code a game. It's muuuch harder to code a save system when the conditions of the save are not known.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras