Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 617138 times)

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Re: What are you playing right now?
i don't recall having to use windows live for that.  but maybe that's just because i set it to auto login on whatever the last game that used it was that i played.

finally starting X: Beyond the Frontier.  bought it like 2 years ago along with the rest of the series in a steam sale.  however, it seems adjusting any of the settings in an effort to make it somewhat acceptable in the modern era results in a crash.  yay old games!  anyone have experience playing it on modern systems?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 04:47:33 pm by Klaustrophobia »
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Nakura

• Zombie Heinlein
    • Rebecca Chambers Fan Club
 :hopping: Why Retro? Why?! Why did you only put one save station in the entire Hydrodynamo Chamber?! Why did you make me go through dozens and dozens of puzzles in unknown territory, then make me fight an incredibly difficult boss without giving me a chance to save?

I lost about 45 minutes of gameplay, simply because the game wouldn't let me go back up to the only save station in the entire region. I did manage to make a lot of progress though in the other two hours I played. That's it, I'm going back to Persona 3.  :lol:

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
I'm not quite playing it yet, but I saw Creatures: Exodus on GoG.com and had a rather strong flashback to when I was a kid and just starting out with playing PC games. I...I can't decide if I should buy it or not!
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
So I installed SupCom today. Well, before midnight. Having failed a mission once and a crash after 2 hours of second approach, I don't know If I'm willing to play it again. Huge unit limit if very nice of course, but they seem to have a little issue with creating an engaging gameplay. It's fun, but gets boring.
EDIT: Also, the polish localization. Half of the game is in english :lol:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 09:25:17 pm by Kobrar44 »
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
X is driving me up the wall.  it does not play well with my X45.  throttle wont work, and mapping buttons is hellacious because it detects the toggle switches as a constant button press.  also none of the hats work as buttons.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Had a problem with Tyrian 2000 detecting my XBox 360 Controller for Windows as perpetually listing in one direction, so I made the necessary changes in dosbox.conf and disabled joystick/controller detection altogether. I'm good with my mouse-keyboard controls.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page
:hopping: Why Retro? Why?! Why did you only put one save station in the entire Hydrodynamo Chamber?! Why did you make me go through dozens and dozens of puzzles in unknown territory, then make me fight an incredibly difficult boss without giving me a chance to save?

I lost about 45 minutes of gameplay, simply because the game wouldn't let me go back up to the only save station in the entire region. I did manage to make a lot of progress though in the other two hours I played. That's it, I'm going back to Persona 3.  :lol:

That's just one of the hardest segments right there (it gets better when you get to Sanctuary, no sarcasm included). Wait, you're in the part of Torvus that's right underneath the temple, right? (P.S. you already have 4 or 5 Energy Tanks, right?)

Got back into StarCraft 1. I'm too deluded into thinking I'm a half-competent Protoss player, when the reality is Terran fits me the most.
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Finally found a patch that lets PCSX2 play Ace Combat 5.

So that's happening right now.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Nakura

• Zombie Heinlein

That's just one of the hardest segments right there (it gets better when you get to Sanctuary, no sarcasm included). Wait, you're in the part of Torvus that's right underneath the temple, right? (P.S. you already have 4 or 5 Energy Tanks, right?)

Got back into StarCraft 1. I'm too deluded into thinking I'm a half-competent Protoss player, when the reality is Terran fits me the most.

Yep, just got past there though this morning (took me four tries total). I just retrieved the grapple hook and have no idea where to go from here. I only have two energy tanks, probably why the Alpha Blogg was so difficult. I hear the game really picks up about halfway through (Sanctuary, I presume).

StarCraft 1? Probably my favorite game of all time. I'm not very good at melee either, so don't feel bad; I've always been a UMS player. This computer is ancient, but I've got my StarCraft Battlechest kit with me, maybe we can play sometime (provided my Brood War disk still works)? You play on US East, I presume?

I've decided to try out a few text adventure games for the Commodore 64 (via an emulator). I'm starting out with Zork, as I hear it's one of the best. I'm actually shocked at how much freedom of choice these old text games give you, given that they run on a 64k system.

Offline docfu

If you want an oldie but goodie for the C64 check out "Below the Root".

I'm playing through Torchlight 1 right now, mainly so I know what my students are going through when I have them play the game and write down the English in order to get a Japanese translation. Pretty good game.

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
I'm absolutely crap, but I'm game for the odd match of Broodwar.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Due to a sudden money surge, I got myself Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and Final Fantasy 9 for the PS3, and Shadowrun Returns for PC. I don't know what to play first, they're all so good.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Nakura

• Zombie Heinlein
I'm absolutely crap, but I'm game for the odd match of Broodwar.
Well, sounds like we're all terrible, but that's fine. Anyone else care to join us (provided we ever actually do this)?

If you want an oldie but goodie for the C64 check out "Below the Root".

I'm playing through Torchlight 1 right now, mainly so I know what my students are going through when I have them play the game and write down the English in order to get a Japanese translation. Pretty good game.

Thanks for the suggestion, I just added it to my list of ROMs.

I've only played the demo of Torchlight 1, but I absolutely loved it. It feels just like Diablo, I'm glad Runic stayed true to their roots. I hope to pick up both games once I get a real computer.

Offline Lorric

Due to a sudden money surge, I got myself Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and Final Fantasy 9 for the PS3, and Shadowrun Returns for PC. I don't know what to play first, they're all so good.

Whoa, what happend to your troubles? Well, I wished you luck, and I guess you got some!  :D

Well, the only one I've played is FF IX, and it's very good.

Offline Patriot

What do you teach?

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I couldn't keep into Torchlight after a while.  The weapons tended to get out-levelled quickly, and the enchant system made me rage something fierce.  It got to the point where the main quest was trivially-easy, but the sidequests (which I completed as they became available) were so outrageously difficult that it made me lose interest.  I found it became an obnoxious grindfest rather quickly.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Nakura

• Zombie Heinlein
Zork grew boring rather quickly, though that may have something to do with how I kept getting lost and had to use a walkthrough, which just sucked all of the fun out of it.

Trying out The Lurking Horror now. Only been playing this for about 45 minutes, but I like it a LOT more. I still don't know exactly where I'm supposed to go, though I think what I'm supposed to do. One thing I do know for certain is that the maintenance man gets rather upset if you break into the emergency cabinet on the wall and cut the cord to his floor waxer with the fire axe. I don't even know what I was thinking, I was just like "hmm... I wonder if the game will let me do this."

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page
Yep, just got past there though this morning (took me four tries total). I just retrieved the grapple hook and have no idea where to go from here. I only have two energy tanks, probably why the Alpha Blogg was so difficult. I hear the game really picks up about halfway through (Sanctuary, I presume).

StarCraft 1? Probably my favorite game of all time. I'm not very good at melee either, so don't feel bad; I've always been a UMS player. This computer is ancient, but I've got my StarCraft Battlechest kit with me, maybe we can play sometime (provided my Brood War disk still works)? You play on US East, I presume?

1. After Grapple... well, do you have the Boost Ball already?
Spoiler:
If you already have the Boost Ball, your next upgrade is the Seeker Missile System in the Temple Grounds. If you already have the Seekers, look for the Torvus Temple Keys.

You can get at least four E-Tanks (you get one from in Grounds when you destroy your first Missile Door, one sometime before fighting Dark Samus 1, one in Agon Wastes in a Morph Ball tunnel near the Temple, and one in the Hydrodynamo Tunnels, which requires the use of the turbine jets and well timed Bombs). Those are off the top of my head, 2 and 3 may be the same one.

2. I have to figure out how to fix the discoloration on SC1 before I can play it on my Win7 laptop (the other computer... well, network access is bust.) There was a patch driver or something somewhere on the internet, but I don't remember the link. I would be on US West.
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Offline docfu

I couldn't keep into Torchlight after a while.  The weapons tended to get out-levelled quickly, and the enchant system made me rage something fierce.  It got to the point where the main quest was trivially-easy, but the sidequests (which I completed as they became available) were so outrageously difficult that it made me lose interest.  I found it became an obnoxious grindfest rather quickly.

Good god, have you ever played Diablo 3? I played that first and was just completely bored out of my mind. Torchlight at least let me choose hard difficulty to start and didn't ruin the game by spamming achievements all over the place.

"Dye all of your armor pink and beat the following bosses:?"

Honestly, it's easy to see why the Torchlight peeps quit Blizzard and started their own company with that kind of mentality ruining the game.

Maybe we should add achievements to FSO while we are at it:

257. Genius:               Switch between primary weapons.
258. Common Sense: Destroy beam cannon on Shivan cruiser with a Maverick in Exodus.
259. Foolhardly:          Beat campaign on insane without using targeting keys.
260. Bad Diarrhea:      Use 10 countermeasures in less than 10 seconds.

Offline docfu

What do you teach?

I'm an English Teacher in Japan and I run my own company. Torchlight falls under the experimental projects category which is "What is cheap and will get kids to take an interested in learning the English language on their own?"

My 4th grade elementary students can read about half the words in a dialog. I think it's awesome to have a learning opportunity like this where the language you learn directly affects how well you do in the game. Understanding things like quests and item properties give kids a much better chance to use language, even if it's in a fantasy setting.