Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 613730 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: What are you playing right now?
Grabbed Forza Horizon 3 before it left storefronts and I'm already 20 hours in. The presentation can get pretty cringey but that doesn't matter when I'm yeeting all of these gorgeously-rendered car models all over the Outback.

I'm back into Civilization VI again.

I'm almost done.  Just one more turn.  One more turn.  Okay, one more turn.

Works quite well on the Switch.  I was expecting more of a UI nightmare without a mouse.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Too little too late, Kashyyk is the middle of the game and Merrin is almost at the end of the game.

That's not a point against it but carrying the characterisation constitently though several characters, their charactersations are extensions of the main character's arc, reperesenting the other circumstances and choices - Granted, such a thing would work better in a game was not forcibly glued to one perspective; it would have worked much better in an ensemble RPG-style

Cannot speak to the characterisations in Rebels, never got the chance to watch it (mostyl because VoD didn't offer OV), but I guess that character was not re-infantilized by their original trauma as the protagonist of the Fallen Order is - after all they don't regain self-determined agency until the epilogue - which might be what you are picking up.
After all there is no singular cause and effect-reaction to any kind of trauma...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 03:19:32 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Too little too late, Kashyyk is the middle of the game and Merrin is almost at the end of the game.

That's not a point against it but carrying the characterisation constitently though several characters, their charactersations are extensions of the main character's arc, reperesenting the other circumstances and choices - Granted, such a thing would work better in a game was not forcibly glued to one perspective; it would have worked much better in an ensemble RPG-style

Cannot speak to the characterisations in Rebels, never got the chance to watch it (mostyl because VoD didn't offer OV), but I guess that character was not re-infantilized by their original trauma as the protagonist of the Fallen Order is - after all they don't regain self-determined agency until the epilogue - which might be what you are picking up.
After all there is no singular cause and effect-reaction to any kind of trauma...
Re-infantilized doesn't mean acting like a robot, because that's how Kestis comes off as. It's almost like they went with the blandest possible protagonist they could think of and then have the actor be as subdued as possible and minimized or made optional any show of empathy whenever possible.
I expect better than a slab of protoplasm vaguely shaped as a person for a game with this kind of narrative component and my expectations are already very low in the first place.

Wait, they don't have the english track for Star Wars Rebels on Disney+? Because that's the only VoD service that has it last I checked.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Rebel Galaxy (PC)
Since I wanted something brainless and didn't want to learn anything new I started a new playthrough to try and get a few achievements I had missed the first time because I turned on the GOG Galaxy overlay only when I was halfway through.
I also got curious about some complaints about the spin off Wing Commander Privateer remastered Rebel Galaxy Outlaw doing some things worse and wanted to refresh my memory.
For now the impression is that RGO is doing exactly the same things only it doesn't fill stations with EMP mines that knock out your engines which is extremely irritating. In theory RG compensates by letting you dock even under fire but in practice it's super annoying because it makes any attempt to flee in case the blockade is too strong much more frustrating. And IIRC in the late game many ambushes also happen like that, in this and RGO you get stopped by pirates a lot but at least in RGO they did away with EMP ambushes altogether and can just run away if you don't want to fight.
Another frequent complaint about RGO was how sometimes the random enemy generation spawned enemies in mission areas making things more difficult but it seems to happen here too and I remember it being a thing in Privateer too so it's probably either intentional or a thing that's inherently difficult to program for.
The gameplay loop remains surprisingly similar even if the game combat and flying mechanics are completely different, which is stating the obvious but many seem to think otherwise for some reason.
This time I'm playing with a gamepad, the only things it adds are the rumble effects.
I also added Space Truckin' and Barracuda to the game songs, one because duh and the other because the ship I'm flying at the moment is a Barracuda and I'm easily amused.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
The customisation any good?

I recall the promo video highlighting your ship's custom sticker placement and skins, and the ability to have it printed off and skinned, then posted to you for a (fair/unreasonable?) fee.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
The customisation any good?

I recall the promo video highlighting your ship's custom sticker placement and skins, and the ability to have it printed off and skinned, then posted to you for a (fair/unreasonable?) fee.

That was Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, this is the first Rebel Galaxy.

And I haven't really tried the customization in RGO, it was already high season at the time the game launched so I spent the little time I had playing the game as it was.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Started a new game of Stellaris to put on in the background while I study. And its not only my first Megacrop, but decided to take embark on the psionic ascension route for the first time.

Fear the mind-reading squid space mafia!
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Rebel Galaxy (PC)
I did all the missing achievements.
Including the really annoying one that required to kill 20 pirate lords because they spawn randomly only when certain conditions are met which means I had to hunt events I could end like sieges and hope a pirate lord would spawn.
Fortunately I messed around enough during the story to have already filled about half the quota, but triggering the last six or seven took HOURS.
The others were not as bad as I thought they would, getting neutral reputation with pirates only involves going to the starting sector and get missions from a netural station that is labeled as "criminal" since it often generates missions for the pirates in question and with a fully armed endgame dreadnought they are easy to do and the militia getting in the way isn't an issue.
Apparently getting in with the pirates doesn't really give any particular bonuses apart from a side questline alternative to the mercenary one you get if you haven't bothered with them by the time you reach the second sector, in Outlaw you can buy an exclusive ship or two IIRC.

Subnautica!

A friend of mine wouldn't shut up about subnautica, so I decided to indulge her and play it a little bit.

Now I've spent 20 hours on it in three days. Holy ****. It's very good, and very addictive.

Right now things have slowed down a little, as the game has settled into a base building game and mine are scattered across the ocean. I need to get some logistics in order before I can explore further. I don't like this as much, even though the base buildling aspect and the like is very fun, I kinda miss Outer Wilds' "go anywhere, your only limit is what you know".

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I loved Subnautica. Every once in a while I get tempted to play it again.

Right now, Hades is owning all my free time. Who's a good three-headed abomination?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I'm playing XCOM 2 again.  Trying to make an Ironman Commander play through work.

Right now, Hades is owning all my free time. Who's a good three-headed abomination?

Speaking of games I couldn't put down once I picked them up...

Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold  (Episode 5)

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
SerRes obs for play testing

yoctosfera mod for Stalker Clear Sky

Arcade Dimensions Epsilon (Bloody huge Quake megamod)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Super Mario Sunshine (Gamecube) can be thoroughly infuriating.
The so-called "secrets" in particular are the worst. It doesn't help that most of the time the camera goes on its own merry way and sincerely I struggle to play a lof of parts in any other than the overhead zoomed out camera rather than the default behind the shoulders because I often find difficult to judge distances.
Also the camera relative controls tend to be really irritating because I'm just not used to this type of movement and often head on the wrong direction.
The way to access one of the main level was also a bit obtuse and had to use google it (or to be precise: the game called attention to something that I couldn't tell it did anything so I googled it and it was the access to one of the main levels that required a certain action to activate).

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Star Wars Squadrons (PC)
Fleet Battle always crashes on me, dogfight mode is stable but my crappy wi fi often makes playing a chore with both enemies and my own movements skipping all over the place.
Fortunately now the game allows to disable the single player tutorials which means no more jarring pauses, I re-played the prologue and the first mission without tutorials costantly force-pausing the game and has been a far more pleasant experience.

Bloodstained Curse of The Moon 2 (PC)
The game has started to become a bit ridiculous with difficulty so I had to drop from Veteran difficulty.
Still, the fire stage is strangely long so for now I'm leaving it there.

Freespace 2 (PC)
It's been a while since I last played the FS2 campaign, so long that I think I hadn't seen the new nebula effects. The Gamma Draconis nebula is appropriately spooky, I wish I took some screens of the Ravana too, that odd shape being only partially visible really adds to the fear factor.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Bloodstained: Curse of The Moon 2 ramped up the difficulty a bit too much for my taste. I sincerely don't know how would I have dealt with the stage 5 boss had I not lowered the difficulty from veteran to casual.

I requested a refund for Starpoint Gemini 3, why in the hell some devs won't just give the user the ability to rebind joystick controls I sincerely can't fathom especially when they explicitly said at the start of early access that they would implement HOTAS support. And even without that there are several oddities to the controls due to the devs listening to fans of the first two games which of course weren't people used to fully 3D space dogfighting conventions, reading the steam forums apparently there isn't even a proper throttle.
For all the crap I gave Everspace for being a roguelike at least they didn't promise HOTAS support from day one only to somehow implement something like what Ace Combat 7 had at launch.
If you want a light Elite clone to play with a joystick that wasn't made in the 90s Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is a much better choice, probably because Travis Baldree just went and made his own Privateer-like with dice poker, slots and pool without asking a fanbase used to a completely different type of gameplay for advice.

Sundered: Eldtritch Edition is fortunately not a roguelike like I heard even if it has some randomly generated areas and you get sent back at the start if you die. The game is also one of those HD 2D games I can't get enough of, the first boss looked like something out of a particularly deranged Don Bluth movie. The combat is also that relaxing type of button mash-y beat 'em up that allows to turn your brain off and is friendly to people that never get combos right in more technical games like Guacamelee.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Since it was discounted on Humble Store I got a Steam copy of Rebel Galaxy Outlaw and I started doing the achievements starting the game from scratch with a new save.
This time I did the Bountiful Vista quest earlier so I decided to try the Dingo for later story missions, better cargo space than the Coyote and double the missiles but half the hardpoints.
The Durston served me well for a while and made me a lot of money but even with max shields and armour it just was too easy to get hit and it was difficult to aim all guns consistently which is not ideal for story missions. I'm also playing on old school difficulty so autoaim is disabled and there is only some basic laser convergence that doesn't always kick in.
I kept the Sonora for longer than last time but with so many heavily shielded opponents in story missions I had to switch to something that could actually whittle them down without running out of energy (hence the Durston and then the Dingo).

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I played House of the Dying Sun in VR. Awesome atmosphere and Freespace-like gameplay. I especially like the ending you get after doing the hard difficulty. The graphics are simple but look beautiful in VR, kind of like Homeworld. It is quite short though, I wish the campaign had a few more missions.