Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 613860 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: What are you playing right now?
I enjoyed the warthog run at the end of both games.

Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I enjoyed the warthog run at the end of both games.

It owns! The Warthog's, uh, Rubenesque handling is a great part of what makes it so much fun. The sliding lets you use it as a melee weapon and creates all kinds of horrible "oh dear, I've overturned" situations to recover from.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I've been playing a lot of The Orange Box

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Crash Bandicoot 4.

...and it's very difficult. It's a true challenge. Some of its awards and trophies are so difficult to obtain only a handful of gamers have managed get them.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Dishonored 2 has some interesting changes.
For once you can end a duel non-lethally doing some kung fu at the right moment after a stun-parry and even drop assassinations have a non-lethal option which allows for a slightly more action-y non-lethal playstyle. Of course it's still not advisable to have multiple enemies and it's more for single guards stealth screw-ups because with multiple opponents chances are a stray bullet or an ill-advised lunge on their part might kill whoever you are trying to stun.
There are also many more power upgrades and runes to collects to go with them. I still have to get my bearings with Emily's power set yet, the particular way the mark of the outsider manifests with her leads to some key differences that are even more marked than between Corvo and Daud (I think you can't possess rats but you can turn into a shadow that can use rat tunnels for example).
I solved the crashes by disabling the AMD overlay, gradually lowering the setting to very high instead of ultra and going for FXAA instead of TXAA.
The plot seems more upfront about things, Emily explicitly knows that Corvo is her father (which was only hinted at in the first game) and that the heart is her mother, probably because Arkane understood that the plot wasn't the first game strong suit and just went with something more straightforward, even a possible "mystery" set up at the beginning gets solved almost immediately. I was surprised to see Billie Lurk, I knew about Death of The Outsider but seeing her this early
Spoiler:
taking over Samuel's role
was surprising.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Fallout the Frontier.

I think the mod developers were too too enamored with the fact that they could, that they didn't stop to ask if they should. Unusually seamless in-game cutscenes, actual working vehicles in a Bethesda Gamebryo Engine, interesting quest resolution methods (use of physics items), marred by this need to mimic a lot of the AAA style of storytelling. The problem with that is you'd need to Essential (make immortal) a lot of characters which is just not how the core heart of FNV is. Still at least they can put it on a resume, and some of the side content is compelling. Just never ask me to replay [The Evil Within 2, but New Vegas] again.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Halo 2 (PC) from the Master Chief Collection.
This time I've used the overhauled graphics.
I did peek at the old graphics by pressing the TAB key on occasion and the original visuals compared to the first game seemed much more "greybrown" not just on the Earth levels but in general, also came to my mind that the PC version of this game looked like that and required DirectX 10 to work somehow in the same year Half-Life 2 came out, which was a much better looking game and didn't require Windows Svista (pun intended, I swear it sounds funnier in Italian).
The new presentation even though it's technically darker has much more colour, feeling more like a sequel of the original visually than the old graphics. Also the music and sound seem to be grander overall fro the little I heard of the original which sounds almost quaint even for the time.
I liked the story too, it's nice to see through the eyes of the enemy instead of making them completely faceless.
The issues are largely the same as the first game, some weird checkpointing that can't decide to be position or kill-based, progression that can't decide to be freeform Half-Life style or "kill everything in the room to unlock the door for no apparent reason" Serious Sam-style.
The protagonists are also strangely fragile, even on normal I got one-shotted constantly sometimes even by common mooks.

Dishonored: Death of The Outsider (PC)
Much shorter than the expansion to the first game, but further deviates in terms of gameplay.
First: there are no runes, only bone charms that can modify your powers. There is a story explanation for this.
Second: your mana regenerates, you have three power uses in rapid succession before stopping to let it recharge.
Third: you get all the powers at the same time.
Most powers are a variation on the basic Dishonored power set but there is a power that allows to steal the faces of people, knock someone unconscious (you cannot wear the faces of the dead), wear their face and as long as you have mana and don't meet dogs you can waltz in places that you have no business being in and with a particular bone charm duration can be extended. In the second to last level I was able to walk out of a place crawling with overseers through the front door.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline spart_n

• I am the labeller of CringeTM and KinoTM
    • Steam

japanese starship troopers

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The only good bug is a dead bug.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I played Half Life Alyx. Amazing game and atmosphere that really shows what is possible in VR. The Jeff section was the best part of the game, spooky but funny at the same time. The game is much more like System Shock 2 or Prey than Half Life 2 (which is good, as I found HL2 mediocre and underwhelming). Alyx is weak and has crappy guns, and you have to scrouge for ammo and approach situations very carefully. I would often run away from monsters, make a plan and then carefully execute it. Some of the earlier levels drag on though and I wish you could throw objects at enemies to damage them, which would have made a lot of sense in a game based around physics like this.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Moderately late to the party, I've begun to play Horizon zero dawn:complete edition (ps4) after  it remained sealed in shiny plastic in my glove box for 6 months. I'm about to blow a hole in the side of a stadium.

I like how it's red neck robosaurus.

That sums it up for me.
Craft arrows, loose arrows, hack dinosaur, ride dinosaur.

Dismount robot in the middle of an enemy camp and run away.

Loose arrows, pick flowers, eat flowers.

A happy go lucky redhead in tribal gear, whose only goal is to find one more power cell so I can get ancient uber armour...
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Urbana

• Steam
Been replaying Urban Assault recently and really been enjoying the old days of gaming
I have been away too long. The challenge has waned. They must learn anew the meaning of ph34r

Offline spart_n

• I am the labeller of CringeTM and KinoTM
    • Steam
I took a break from killing giant alien bugs, drones and a ceiling in EDF 4.1 to playing Blasphemous.

This is not a good pain. This is so not a good pain.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Hexen: Deathkings of The Dark Citadel
Boy the second hub was just ridiculous, endless respawning of high tier enemies and a hidden switch that I had to google because it was in a passage that was incredibly counterintuitive to open,
Spoiler:
how in the hell was I supposed to know I had to destroy a bunch of mummified corpses to open a hidden door?
And this was mandatory, to compensate I have found a secret level by accident and I didn't go through it only because at that point I was tired of the endless onslaught of respawning monsters and I got all the pieces of the last weapon already.

The announcement of Total Warhammer 3 made me play some 2 again. Armies of the Lizardfolk will crush (and eat) the undead and greenskins! RAAAHHH!

---

Also got in on the hype for Valheim. It's a viking mythology survival game. A few notes: It's ugly; textures and models seem like they're mid-2000s era. The water and lighting is gorgeous though.

It's slow; want to make anything that's not made of basic wood? Go hunt a boar or a deer for ONE piece of leather (you need between 2 and 8 to make anything decent). On the plus side, the combat is mercifully forgiving, especially if you play Dark Souls. The first boss was built up as scary, but it's trivial once you have a shield and spear (like flippin' 12 boar had to die for those).

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Finished Hexen: Deathkings of The Dark Citadel
I don't know if the final battle being that easy is supposed to be a relief or anticlimatic.
I've been playing this expansion at the default difficulty like the base game but the respawn rate and what respawns just put too much pressure when you are supposed to explore the levels to find weird secret passages that you need just to proceed with the game.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Ive gone back to playing Hexen Beyond Heretic and boy is it still a brillant game! This franchise needs to be revisited, by either another game in the series or a remaster/remake of HeXen. Also replaying 1996s Realms of the Haunting, an absolute gem.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Deep dive into rocksmith 2014, then a smorgasbord of horizon: zero dawn, control, and halcyon 6.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Finished Hexen: Deathkings of The Dark Citadel
I don't know if the final battle being that easy is supposed to be a relief or anticlimatic.
I've been playing this expansion at the default difficulty like the base game but the respawn rate and what respawns just put too much pressure when you are supposed to explore the levels to find weird secret passages that you need just to proceed with the game.

Playing Hexen for a short while last year made me realise I don't play many games with instant-death conditions similar to bottomless pits.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

I've finally finally finished The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

My review: It was quite good. I'm looking forward to the sequel and also Skyward Sword (I never finished it the first time)

And now that that's done, I've fallen into Fire Emblem: Three Houses which I'm really loving